Do you give to charity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
Do you support any charities or regularly volunteer/ donate for charity shops?

Yes ... sometimes financially, sometimes I volunteer, sometimes through donations. It depends on the organization and what I am able to contribute at that time.

I finacially contribute to Amnesty International, although I wouldn't call it a charity, and occasionally do write those letters to prisoners of consciousness and the like. I am also involved in campaigns for global AIDS and poverty, such as The One Campaign and have volunteered my time with my local divisions. I also, when time permits although I must admit it has been a long time, volunteer with a church based group that works with local AIDs patients.

I have a hard time calling any of these things charities though. These are things that have more to do with justice and what is right, than charity.

i am a member of the cancer foundation, red cross, humanitas and my union does a lot for helping out with organize workers in poor countries.

I buy fair trade products ( when posible ) and organic/ecologic produced food.

Last edited:
babyman said:
we must give a lot without saying one word about

I think what would be inappropriate is asking how much people give. That's not being asked.

I was talking to a "chugger" in town last week (the people who hound you for money) and he told me that people no longer give to charity and that's why he is "forced" to do his job. I don't think this is true.

i give alot of unneeded clothing to my mom's church, and they in turn go to mexico, give it to the needy there.

I think the recent tsunami shows that people DO give to charity and do so very willingly.

as for me, yep I give money when I can, my time to those in need, and a warm smile to brighten the day of all that I meet each day

I give to Goodwill and the Salvation Army with unneeded clothing and furniture, and donate to the World Wildlife Foundation at the Humane Society.

Mainly clothes that I don't want anymore. My work does a lot of stuff for charties because our parent company is one of the main banks in Minnesota so we always have a lot of charity events going on. I don't participate in all of them because it gets to be a lot. But before I started working for this place I never gave money to anything before.

I donate my time, it goes farther then money does usually. Plus I dont have any of the latter which makes it an easy decision.

I'm in Big Brothers, Big Sisters. My little sister and I have been matched for almost three years. It's great volunteer work because I hardly consider spending time with her as being work. :)

I donate to my local Humane Society. I donate to thrift stores as well.

I guess some would think its bad that I'd rather donate to help animals than people.

I donate clothes to charity. I also donate little gifts that children can give to their mothers who are living in battered women shelters.

I always feel like I can never do enough.

this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes :rolleyes: ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that". If it's not a competition to see which U2 fan will be going to the most shows this tour then it's the fan that gives most to charity. My comments are not towards the original poster, I believe her intentions for discussion were entirely different than what this monster turned out to be. shame on a lot of you though.

imo.

WOW Ewen - that wasn't very nice
you should have shown some charity and kept that to yourself.

so what if people want to tell eachother what they contribute to. they are proud of it and want to share how good it makes them feel.

I know Adam said that people should give and then not brag about it or somthing to that effect ....is that why you said what you did?

Wow, I didn't know I posted this in FYM :hmm:

I didn't want to start this thread and people to start arguing. I just wanted to see if people actually donate their time/ money/ old clothes to charities still or not (which I stated early in the thread). I don't think anyone is showing off (nobody is talking about amounts of money they are giving), why not talk about the charities you give to? Maybe someone is trying to get people to do some research about what they do & I don't think there's harm in that.

ewen said:
this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes :rolleyes: ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that".
umm, no. i didn't post the charities i donate to (and i forgot my local public broadcasting station too) to show off. i don't think anyone else is doing that either. as lara pointed out, i think showing off would've been if we posted the amounts.

does it matter if people donate to U2 endorsed charities? they're still going to a good cause. everyone hears about a charity through some means and if some see the amnesty international blurb in every U2 album and decides to donate, i think that's great. most bands don't give a rat's ass about charity but U2 has since the beginning, and i think it's great that people are then driven to donate their time and money from seeing it mentioned in the liner notes or from hearing the band talking about it.

and of course there's the age-old saying here, if you don't like this thread, don't read it! :wink:

KhanadaRhodes said:

umm, no. i didn't post the charities i donate to (and i forgot my local public broadcasting station too) to show off. i don't think anyone else is doing that either. as lara pointed out, i think showing off would've been if we posted the amounts.

does it matter if people donate to U2 endorsed charities? they're still going to a good cause. everyone hears about a charity through some means and if some see the amnesty international blurb in every U2 album and decides to donate, i think that's great. most bands don't give a rat's ass about charity but U2 has since the beginning, and i think it's great that people are then driven to donate their time and money from seeing it mentioned in the liner notes or from hearing the band talking about it.

and of course there's the age-old saying here, if you don't like this thread, don't read it! :wink:

Where did i write anything about it being wrong to support or donate to U2 endorsed charities or organisations? nowhere. I said, in plain English, "one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes". I have supported Amnesty International for 18 years but saying that however turns me into a hypocrit for my previous posting. I'm not going to run off a list of stuff I do, that's my business and close friends, family and those involved know about that.

Also some of you believe that my comments are directed to all of you - if you actually read, properly, what I wrote (before throwing stones as you so always readly do) you will see that it is directed to the few who believe that they, by rights, must be awarded or recognised for their charity work.

carrieluvv, I was not aware of Adam saying that - a great coincidence and if that is what he has indeed said then I respect the guy even more from this day on.

I believe in spreading the word about charities, organisation, causes, what have you. Do it tastefully however, without the badges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom