Do you give to charity? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:55 PM
I haven't given to anything lately because I'm completely and totally broke. But in the past I've given money to/volunteered for Unicef campaigns, stuff like that.

I think it's awfully cynical to look at this thread as a popularity contest; listing the organizations you give to is a way of drawing attention to organizations and causes you feel are important, and that other people might not know about.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #47
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen
this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that". If it's not a competition to see which U2 fan will be going to the most shows this tour then it's the fan that gives most to charity. My comments are not towards the original poster, I believe her intentions for discussion were entirely different than what this monster turned out to be. shame on a lot of you though.

imo.
Wow, that seems pretty rude.

I think it's nice if people name charities because it helps get word out. I will mention Big Brothers, Big Sisters any chance I can to help promote the program. That is an organization that I believe in with all my heart, and I like to help create awareness and interest.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 03-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen
this whole thread and its contributors disgust me - not because you give to charity, not because you may spare time for your respective organistions ( although one or two of you seem only interested in U2 endorsed causes ) but because the impression that you are putting across is that of "look at me, i give to all these charities, ain't I a wonderful human being, top that". If it's not a competition to see which U2 fan will be going to the most shows this tour then it's the fan that gives most to charity. My comments are not towards the original poster, I believe her intentions for discussion were entirely different than what this monster turned out to be. shame on a lot of you though.

imo.

Perhaps those people that did mention such 'endorsed' charities did so because this is a U2 forum and perhaps in posting there would be a interesting conversation resulting from it. From your own sig i see you are a supporter of the Free Tibet movement--I'm not going to accuse you of supporting that only because of U2's performance in the Tibetan Freedom Concert, as I am very sure it is a matter that is of personal concern to you.

Are all my 'charities' & efforts listed? Nope. I wouldn't assume that from everyone that posted either. And I don't see that anyone here is competing to be 'most charitable Interferencer' merely because they are talking about where thier passions lie.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TiaraGurl
I'm going to mongolia to teach yoga for five weeks at a monastery restoration site in july.
I'd like to go overseas and help out somehow. That sounds interesting what you are doing!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RademR
I sponsor a child through Children International....
Me too,, Though not through Children international
Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:55 PM
I'm considering going to Vietnam on a trek next year to raise money for cancer research, the way I'm thinking is I get paid for to go abroad plus I get to help people, great deal if you ask me
Old 03-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #52
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

How does that work,
ZeroDude, would you care to elaborate? I would like to get involved in some kind of cancer charity just not sure where/how.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
I see nothing wrong with this thread since alot of people who aren't able to give financialy can find ideas about donating their time if they wish.
There's plenty of ways to help and plenty of help needed...
A couple of things I've gotten involved with that don't take (much) money: working with refugees who have recently fled to the U.S. through an organization called World Relief. And of course, many of us can give blood.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I used to volunteer with a middle school after-school science club that raises interest for girls and minorities. But I've moved and it is over an hour commute for me, so I am going to have to join a club near me for that. I'm hoping to do Habitat for Humanity this summer, too.

As for donating, when I can I donate to www.donorschoose.org (which is a GREAT site and you can give money directly to teachers who work in low-income cities and want to do "extra" projects with their students - sometimes the extra is as simple as getting microscopes for science class), and also www.heifer.org and I've donated to the Network for Good (choosing a program that helps women in many ways as a protest to Bush's inauguration).

I also write those action letters and email my representatives about 2 or 3 times a month. And I try to buy local foods and from local artists. Lastly, if I can, I avoid buy from companies that overwhelming donate to the Republicans.

Oh yeah and Bono's birthday fund.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

It's nice to find ideas on where to volunteer! Thanks all!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't answered, because I do think it's a personal matter. When I was a poor student, I volunteered for 3 different organizations, and when I started making money and had less time to volunteer, I donated.

It would bug me if people were self-congratulatory here. But I haven't seen that. So the flipping out over this thread is well, slightly bizarre to me, but to each his own.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
[B]I think perhaps the and use of "this whole thread and its contributors disgust me" "shame on a lot of you though" might have hurt some peoples' feelings, made them a bit ticked off perhaps.

i think no one should ever say how much he gives or does, it's a question of heart, jesus himself made miracles and didn't want to let it know. but i agree with what you say, such comments can hurt and aren't good at all..........if you use the words disgust and shame for people who do something for less fortunate people, then, what words should you use for someone who does nothing at all in his life to help needy people..................... disgust and shame are with the theme of this thread a bit too inappropriate