do you enjoy the UFC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vote OR die

• Helllz yeah i love it, kill kill kill, blood blood blood!!!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Helllz no, that stuff is just barbaric nonsense, i cant believe our society has come to this, it sic

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • meh, don't love it, don't hate it

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • never heard of it

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
the UFC (ultimate fighting championship) had their biggest fight ever over the weekend, so there has been a lot of talk about its place in sports, if its overtaking boxing and all that.

so what about you, do you watch the ufc and enjoy it?

I have attended three MMA matches...a UFC event in Vegas, the one UFC event at Staples and a Pride event in Japan. All were interesting, but in very different ways. In Japan, the crowd was very reverential, knew when to cheer, when to boo...they really knew their stuff. The UFC crowd pretty much was all adrenaline. They wanted knockouts, did not care about the technical elements, etc. It always felt like a fight could break out in the crowd, too.

I cannot claim to be a fan, but, I will say that it's ratings gold for my old network, and for any other TV outlet that airs MMA (Not just UFC). I do find it to be more enjoyable than Boxing, and not quite as barbaric as it used to be/as people perceive it.

I have been watching the UFC since it's inception in 1990. It was very boring at times early on with guys just lying in a grapple for the whole match. Thankfully, they changed the rules to stand them up after a period of inaction.

It is better than boxing as boxing is dull with the exception of the odd fight here or there. Look at the "superfight" between Mayweather and Delahoya, :yawn:

UFC still has a bunch of boring fights too amongst their cards but there are usually 5-6 fights per event. Anyone can win in MMA fights on any given night which makes it interesting.

The only thing I don't like is the poor compensation being given to the fighters by the owners and promoters. They get pennies compared to the revenues being taken in via PPV and the live gate. Fighter payrolls are 1% of event revenues or less. They need a player's union.

Of course, all the MMA groups aren't run the same way and I figure in some parts of the world, fighters are put at risk due to lack of safe rules. But the UFC has an excellent system of rules, and serious injuries are extremely rare.

trevster2k said:
Look at the "superfight" between Mayweather and Delahoya, :yawn:

Of course the biggest ufc fight ever lasted only a little more than a minute.

Yeah, talk about a let down, but they set up the rules, and I have to agree that it's for the better.

The look on CL's face said it all. He literally looked like he had no clue where he was at.

There's a pretty good article in SI about MMA/UFC. Grappling is the hot trend right now, which is why you're seeing a ton of farm bred wrasslers doing so well.

I've tried to get into it, but I do find it pretty boring. It's more of a wrestling match in which you get to throw kicks/punches. Dont' get me wrong, these guys are skilled at what they do, but I don't think they're as skilled as what I'd like to see or pay to see.

Too many times the matches fall to the ground and they roll around...only to be let up and do it again. It's a sight to see a skilled fighter who can pick apart his oppenent with striking, and then take him down and finish them off with a submission.

It'll be interesting to see how big this sport gets. ESPN is now showing highlights from the fights.

Chizip said:

Of course the biggest ufc fight ever lasted only a little more than a minute.

But it is exciting. There have been 5 biggest UFC fights this year alone, all upsets.

It's not about how long it is, size doesn't matter :wink: It's having a decisive winner.

Boxing has turned into a dancing with the stars. The Delahoya/Mayweather fight was 12 rounds of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

there are two problems with boxing, and both are semi-related
a) no good heavyweights
b) the lay person doesn't understand the "science" of the sport

the de la hoya/mayweather fight is a perfect example... oscar threw the most punches, and landed the hardest punches, and may have even done the most damage, but he was dominated in points by the quicker mayweather who landed quicker punches at a higher percentage. so even though de la hoya took the fight to mayweather, mayweather wins. that doesn't happen much in UFC... if a guy takes the fight to someone, they're probably gonna win... unless of course someone lands one good punch.

:shrug: i didn't like UFC at first, but it's certainly grown on me, and i planned my saturday night around this past PPV. it's got a shot.

wow really nice choices. im guessing youre just being sarcastic.

I love watching it, but I don't care about blood. I want to see something exciting, and the UFC, and MMA in general is exciting. The ground fighting (if active) is exciting to me, because any moment if one of the guys ain't prepared a sumbission could be pulled off at the blink of an eye (ex. fedor v coleman 1). And a good brawl is always cool too. (griffin v bonnar)

True the main event was over quickly but if you were dissappointed the undercard should have more than made up for it especially the Parisyan/Burkman fight. This ain't boxing where the undercard (most of the times) doesn't mean jack.

Back
Top Bottom