Do You Eat At Captain D's/Red Lobster/Joe's Crab Shack/Landry's At The Beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do You Eat At Captain D's/Red Lobster/Joe's Crab Shack/Landry's At The Beach?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
While vacationing on the Gulf Coast last weekend, I noticed an entire family at the grocery store wearing cheesy souvenir flourescent tie-dye t-shirts from the local Joe's Crab Shack franchise. Never mind that we were in "the World's Luckiest Fishing Village," abundant with excellent, local seafood restaurants that serve fresh "catch of the day" selections from the local fishing fleets. But recent retail development has brought in a Joe's Crab Shack (chain) and Landry's Seafood House (chain) to compliment the existing Red Lobster (chain) and Captain D's (chain) that were already down there.

For some reason, a lot of tourists go to eat at these restaurants at the beach, opting for previously frozen seafood that was possibly harvested in some tank or farm or whatever. Then, with their t-shirts to prove it, they can go back home and say "We ate seafood at the beach!" Give me a break. Go eat at Nick's On The Beach, The Crab Trap, Captain Dave's or some local hole-in-the-wall if you want the real thing. With the exception of Captain D's the prices will probably even be better.

OMIGOD I HATE JOE'S CRAB SHACK!!!

we have one kinda near our house, and it's so tacky. i hate ghetto cheap seafood places. i do remember there was one local seafood place we went to at gulf shores last year that i loved. however, i don't remember the name.

i do remember it was on the beach side of the road, in fact, we walked to the beach after we ate lunch. they had excellent seafood poboys. i'm not sure if it was a seafood place or not, but i loved my catfish poboy, and my mom loved her shrimp poboy. it was a small restaurant that served lots of alcohol and had no air conditioning. it's across the street from a hotel, and further to the left of the restaurant (if you drive for a couple minutes) is where you get away from the tourist part and get into the condos and stuff people own.

there was also another great restaurant further up the other side of gulf shores, on the other side of the road. i don't remember any of these names though, since it's been a year since i've been there. but of course, how could i forget my dining experience at their wonderful dq? oh btw bama, i ate at another one this past month in virginia or something, and they had fish there so :tongue:

maybe bama knows what i'm talking about lol.

but anyway, on vacation, i always make it a point to NOT eat at chains. i can have my captain d's, red lobster, mcdonald's, and the like at home. when i go on vacation, i want to be able to enjoy stuff i can't have at home.

boo to retarded families. at least it makes the wait at the better places shorter!
icon10.gif

That reminds me of the first time I went to Versailles in France. You step off the train and immediately upon exiting the station you are faced with....

McDonalds!!!

:madspit:

just lovely. :tsk:

"I went all the way to France to eat a hamburger and "french" fries". :lol:

Normally I prefer Red Lobster. When I vacation in Corpus Christi or any place along the ocean, I prefer to go to the local restaurants, the non chains. I can't stand Joe's Crabshack and Landry's either.

I'm hungry :no:

Mmmmh, a wide spread choice in the poll for those who'd like to say 'no'..... :eyebrow:

KhanadaRhodes said:
i do remember there was one local seafood place we went to at gulf shores last year that i loved. however, i don't remember the name.

i do remember it was on the beach side of the road, in fact, we walked to the beach after we ate lunch. they had excellent seafood poboys. i'm not sure if it was a seafood place or not, but i loved my catfish poboy, and my mom loved her shrimp poboy. it was a small restaurant that served lots of alcohol and had no air conditioning. it's across the street from a hotel, and further to the left of the restaurant (if you drive for a couple minutes) is where you get away from the tourist part and get into the condos and stuff people own.

That was probably either Sea 'N Suds (built on a short pier over the Gulf, used to be a long pier until a hurricane renovated it) or perhaps the Pink Pony Pub, which overlooks the beach. Both of them are small, serve po-boys and other seafood, and alcohol, and they are Gulf Shores landmarks.

I should qualify that I do not strictly eat "seafood" at the beach, as there are some local restaurants where I go that have other specialties. Pandora's in Grayton Beach, Florida has what my wife and I believe to be the best steak around, followed closely by White House in Newport Beach (I think), California. Red Bar/Piccolo's, also in Grayton Beach, has delectible Paneed Chicken, although my wife prefers their Shrimp & Crawfish. But notice that for these menus, I choose local, home-grown establishments as opposed to Outback Steakhouse or Applebee's (gross).

I do recall you saying that you dined at Dairy Gueen in Gulf Shores, Khanada...?

~U2Alabama

Speedy, I am not familiar with Legal Sea Foods; where can I find a franchise?

And YOU will be glad to know that I also could have chosen your Southern favorite, WAFFLE HOUSE, but my wife would not consent to it. We even had to go to a "local" late-night-after-going-out-greasy-spoon-breakfast-and-doughnut place (Doughnut Hole- Destin, FL).

~U2Alabama

these places do not exist here

the names of these places are hilarious

thanks for the giggle bamarama

sula...roma is the best for macca's. you can sit opposite the pantheon and eat a cheeseburger italiano style outdoors under an umbrella, of course.
i must admit however, the one near the spanish steps is amazing, beautiful statues inside the restaurant before you realize you're actually in a mcdonalds. :no:
no pickles on the ceiling in those macca's!

Back
Top Bottom