Do you do recycling in your community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I'm real big on our environment, and I was just wondering if your town or city does recycling. In my town it is mandatory. Each week a truck comes and gathers cans, glass bottles,and newspapers that is put in a small bin. The things that they don't pick up like magazines and plastics, I take to the recycling center. We also have organizations that volunteer their time and clean up trash a long the major roads and highways. It's a really good thing to do to keep our planet safe and clean. :)

Cities in our area have two options. First, pay to have the trash collected in separate containers (trash, recyclables and sometimes "greens" (yard clipings, plants, etc.)). Second, pay to have the trash separated at a recycling plant.

We also have people who volunteer to pick up trash along roads and freeways. They are called convicts.

My hometown doesn't have recycling, but in the dorms back at school they really push the recycling. I recycled pretty much everything I could and got mad at my friends when they were too lazy to separate their stuff. When I got back home for the summer, I was just disgusted at how much stuff my family was throwing out that could be recycled. I made my mom start taking all of the paper to work with her to recycle it, but there's still a lot of cardboard, plastic, etc. that we are throwing away. ick.

yes. anyone around here who doesn't recycle makes me mad, because they don't have to do a damn thing other than put their cans, papers, etc. in the bin and put it out the same damn day the trash comes! the only way it could be easier is if they came inside the house and sorted it for you. :mad:

On garbage day, we just set out our stuff to be recycled by our garbage, and they take care of it. They are really big on recycling here, and it is expected that everybody participates.

nbcrusader said:
Cities in our area have two options. First, pay to have the trash collected in separate containers (trash, recyclables and sometimes "greens" (yard clipings, plants, etc.)). Second, pay to have the trash separated at a recycling plant.

We also have people who volunteer to pick up trash along roads and freeways. They are called convicts.

Your family is recycling.

Recycling is mandated.

Most people are not aware of the fact that we are recycling in Newport Beach. (Where you and I live).

Included in our bi-monthly water bill is a recycling fee. I pay two, one for myself and one for my tenants. I have a two-unit building.

Our trash is collected by city employees and taken to a recycling center. The trash is dumped on to a conveyor belt and employees sort the recyclables out.

In the majority of Southern California cities, recycling is done without the populace even realizing it, and as deep said is paid for via other bills (and or taxes).

Many cities had TRIED getting people to do it themselves by sorting their garbage - but here in SoCal (and I'm guessing most places) people were too lazy.

The same thing is happening with water polution (or better known as "water run-off"). People aren't responsible with what they dispose of in their water, or down street drains (which go to the ocean), so there will soon be new and VERY high taxes placed on businesses, as well as residents.

a-mole said:
it's the law in Germany
we have to do it
yeah, we learned about that in german class. when we were learning the phrases for different chores and we came across "den m?ll sortieren" (i think i spelled that right) all the dumb rednecks around here were appalled that people recycled. i'm all for recycling. my mom flipped out the other day when someone threw an aluminum can in the garbage. :applaud:

yeah that sentence was bloody correct :applaud:
it is so :coocoo: to laugh about recycling I think.. I mean it's not like garbage doesn't affect anyone and it was invented to fill our free-time with some excitement or so :scream:
can't believe it :crazy:

Last edited:
a-mole said:
yeah that sentence was bloody correct :applaud:
it is so :coocoo: to laugh about recycling I think.. I mean it's not like garbage doesn't affect anyone and it was invented to fill our free-time with some excitement or so :scream:
can't believe it :crazy:
:laugh: yeah. but it's weird how many americans don't think it's necessary to recycle. it's the law most everywhere in europe i believe, because the countries are so much smaller, there's a lot less room for landfills. here, people just seem to think we've got endless supplies of everything: oil, water, land to dump trash, etc.

Our local shire council is in charge of waste disposal in our community.
Recently I got an account from them saying I owe them $00.01 on my annual rates. Also in the envelope was a large pamphlet with hints on how to reduce waste.
I ask you...???

I am very very VERY interested in waste management, I have been for quite some time. I feel recycling is only a small part of a much bigger picture. The real work needs to be done at the point of consumption. It's in our hands.
What's really in your wheelie bin?

I've had a long break from environmental activism, I'm just trying to decide whether to get back into it. It can be heart-breaking at times.

I wish I had more time here..
just quickly I'd like to give Ireland a BIG:up: for their policy on platic shopping bags( white marine mammal chokers ...imho). Australia is planning to follow their policy.
Sooner rather than later I hope.

My community has mandatory recycling. You have to separate your newspapers and magazines and either bundle them up or place them in paper bags for a special pick-up once every two weeks. You do the same with cans and plastics, and those get picked up once every two weeks as well. We also have the option of dropping these items off at a nearby recycling center, which is very convenient.

Recycling isn't mandatory here - you just get trash collected and not recycled. However there are places to recycle newspapers, glass bottles and aluminum cans near my house so we recycle those things. :)

back again...

Ireland introduced a 25c charge for each plastic carry bag. They enjoyed a 90% decrease in the demand for plastic carry bags.
I am old enough to recall a world where you didn't bring your groceries home in plastic packaging, only the things that were truly necessary. We managed:)

Here in the Pacific Northwest, it's taken very seriously. The free recycling site at our transfer station is 'the place to be seen' on our little island.

Back
Top Bottom