Do You Believe in Ghosts? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Do You Believe in Ghosts?

I was looking at Yahoo today and noticed that the movie adaptation of the popular Disney attraction "the Haunted Mansion" is about to be released...I'm really excited about this bc I always loved the ride, but also because I have had a lifelong obsession with all things paranormal...

Starting with the Poltergeist movies, the Exorcist and on through any ghost specials on the Discovery channel - I've always watched with equal parts fear and fascination. When I was 10, I read every book I could find about paranormal phenomena and decided I wanted to become a Paranormal Psychiatrist. (I'm not one in real life )

Anyway, I have had personal experiences with the paranormal on several occasions, and have a pretty well-developed sixth sense. It's pretty scary to me when I feel things I can't explain to people that don't believe in it or haven't experienced this sort of thing.. bc it's real touchy-feely and harps all over some religious beliefs and scientific explanations...

What do you all think of ghosts and hauntings? Do you believe in them? If not, why not - and what do you tell people who have had paranormal experiences? For those who have had experiences, do you wish to share them?

Discuss

Old 07-06-2003, 12:04 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM

my final two years at University, I was a Resident Advisor in a set of building that used to be part of the seminary school.

When I first moved in, I was prepping my room, and was walking down the hallway. I looked over into what was "the garbage room" and saw a figure. I kept on walking ofr some reason, returning a few seconds later to check it out. Nothing was there. I called the only other person I knew of to be in the building, and she wan't anywhere near my floor.

I called security, and was told about a few other "sightings" that had happened the previous year around the same tiime in our buildings.

Damn freaky priests.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
War Child

That is freaky, zone!

Supposedly there was a ghost lurking in my residence hall back at UNI. His name is Augie and he's a WWII soldier whose girlfriend died in the hospital that used to be that dorm or something...not exactly sure about the story behind it. But anyway, the roommate I had during my freshman year was from Ukraine and one night I woke up to her screaming in Russian. When I turned on my light she screamed in English, "He was here! He was right by your bed Kari!" I don't know whether she was just dreaming or if she actually did see something, but it still creeped me out. While I've never seen Augie, or any other ghost for that matter, I still believe in the possibility of their existence.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:27 PM
yes
Old 07-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 AM
no
Old 07-06-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari
That is freaky, zone!

Supposedly there was a ghost lurking in my residence hall back at UNI. His name is Augie and he's a WWII soldier whose girlfriend died in the hospital that used to be that dorm or something...not exactly sure about the story behind it. But anyway, the roommate I had during my freshman year was from Ukraine and one night I woke up to her screaming in Russian. When I turned on my light she screamed in English, "He was here! He was right by your bed Kari!" I don't know whether she was just dreaming or if she actually did see something, but it still creeped me out. While I've never seen Augie, or any other ghost for that matter, I still believe in the possibility of their existence.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Definitely. I'm convinced I live in a haunted house.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #8
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:27 AM
nope

I do believe that we do not know everything
but ghosts - no
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-06-2003, 03:21 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa

Old 07-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Old dorms.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:27 PM
In another thread, I already told the story about my Grandpa's spirit scaring my cousin's boyfriend heh heh. Another time shortly after his passing, he appeared in my Grandma's room. He was seen placing something in the top drawer of the Chest of Drawers. When she went to look to see what it was, it was his favorite shirt that she had been trying to find!
Old 07-06-2003, 08:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Ooh, the Haunted Mansion. My family went on that ride when we went to California to visit relatives (this was a few years back). Definitely a freaky ride-the elevator bit scared the crap out of me.

That being said, it's neat to find another person who's fascinated by ghosts. I'm definitely fascinated by the paranormal, particularly ghosts. I'm one of those kids who watches the "Haunted History" shows and the "Beyond Belief" shows they had on Sci-Fi, and things like that. Ghosts are an interesting subject. I definitely believe they exist-the idea of ghosts coming back to seek revenge on someone or to watch over those they left behind or finish something they couldn't finish in life or things like that...makes total sense to me.

As for personal experiences-while I've never actually seen a ghost, I remember there was this one time in my old town, it was during summer vacation. My sister and I were sitting in our bedroom late one night listening to music and just hanging out. When my sister went to change CDs, all of a sudden we heard this moan coming from a corner of the bedroom, sounding like a person moaning. And my sister and I asked each other if we'd made that noise, and neither one had, and we got scared and decided to sleep in the living room the rest of the night.

That house was built in 1896, so I've wondered sometimes if there was something weird going on there.

And since my family's gonna be moving to Vermont soon, there's places out there that are really old, and I'm hoping that there'll be some odd stuff there. That'd be interesting.

Angela
Old 07-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't believe
if it's not verified scientifically I don't believe in something
Old 07-06-2003, 09:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:27 PM
No, no and no!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:24 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Thanks for the response, ya'll...

What I'm curious is.. for the people who have said "no" - what do you say to people you meet who have had paranormal experiences? Do you believe they are lying? And would so much material exist out there in libraries if it were all lies?