Do you all still buy bootlegs and singles??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
I know that I really dont anymore. I've kinda got over the whole collecting thing, I really just want the music.

I dont like spending $30 or more for a bootleg I can go download for free. Plus, no one should be making money off of those boots, if it was official, that's another thing.

I have a hard time throwing down $12 or more for one or two b-sides or live songs on singles these days too. I dont know, I still feel like I should buy singles though, because I dont want them to become a thing of the past. It's nice to get a few extra songs, I dont know how long they'll keep making them with so many people downloading them now a days.

What do you all have to say?

i don't buy stuff off the internet, and basically it's impossible to find boots anywhere else. unless i dish out 20 bucks per boot on vinyl, and i don't really know about the ones ive seen, they look more than a little sketchy...

i do buy singles. but there are a bunch of local used music stores. so after a week or 2 the singles end up there, and real cheap. like 2 bucks. and you can listen to everything before you buy it. but even for two bucks, i've been known to purchase a cd of 4 discotheque remixes--still haven't figured out WHY...

If I see something in a used record shop that I know is a rarity and I have some extra cash then yes. but I usually don't becuase I spend too much on ebay buying magazines and books.

I always get the singles, maybe that's why I'm single...

Anyway, I think that buying records (official ones) allows me to pay respect to the band. If I just download them, it just doesn't feel authentic. Maybe that's some sort of compulsive collecting disorder, but music is music. I like hearing a record in full for the first time, instead of dealing with download delays.

i'll download stuff but usually as a way to obtain stuff i can't find that i would normally buy. or to get an idea of what a band sounds like when someone reccomends them. if i really like something, i go out and spend the money. which explains the severe lack of money in my bank account...

I personally would never download an entire normal album, unless I know that I'm going to buy it the day it comes out.

Singles on the other hand.....

the andrew w.k album is the only thing i've downloaded that i don't plan on buying. i've got both coldplay albums downloaded in full, but i plan to get those soon. as for an album before it's out, there still seems to be something sacred about buying an album on the day it comes out. probably cos i've only been doing that for a couple years now...

i keep seeing all these articles in papers about how all these people are predicting that in 5 years there will be no more record shops...i can't beleive that for a minute

you should not be paying $$ for boots...
I either trade boots or download.

As for singles. If it is a band I really like I buy them. Otherwise I might download.

Hello,

I don't buy bootlegs anymore. Trading is much more fun (and cheaper). I don't download at the moment because I still have only a dial-up connection (should I have broadband I'd probably search for some good SHN concerts).

As for singles... I'm addicted to buying CD's. This also includes singles, although I mainly buy them for the B-sides (and then especially live tracks). Thankfully, they still sell singles here in the Netherlands, so I don't have to pay high import prices for them (singles are generally 4 - 7 euro's, depending on the format).

C ya!

Marty

Not really. Bootlegs are practically non-existent (but those I find are absolute gems - I'm getting a Pulp boot soon), and are very hard to find. As for singles, they cost exactly half the price of an average CD here (and a hell lot more for imports - Radiohead's Paranoid Android costs just as much as OK Computer) and most stores don't stock older singles, so I don't really buy them. I have just one in my collection - Kylie Minogue's Love At First Sight, because I wanted to hear the mix of Blue Monday and Can't Get You Out Of My Head (excellent mix, by the way).

i usually download my boots cause i don't know anyone that trades. anyway, i have a few u2 boots but most of my collection of boots consists on oasis, doves and coldplay. but my collection of other bands boots are slowly growing (stereophonics, travis, richard ashcroft/the verve....)

as for singles...i just started getting into them this year and i only buy them for my fav bands where i know that the b-sides will be well worth the price. i get the new ones as soon as they come out cause they are really cheap ($3.99) and get the older ones mainly on ebay so i don't have to pay a fortune.

I don't have many boots, but the ones I DO have are ones people have given me. Trading confuses me. :shrug:

Since 99% of singles aren't released in the US, I don't buy very many. If there's one I really want, I'll order it from Amazon.co.uk or ask my best friend or fiance who both live in England to pick it up for me. Usually I'll only get them if it's a limited release, non-album track type thing, or if it has a b-side I really want or a fun cover :reject:. The only band that I have all the singles of is Starsailor.

I never buy boots. I trade for them. Trading is a fun way to meet other U2 fans. I have a handful of 'regular' traders that I'm hoping to one day meet somewhere.

As for singles, I buy them on the internet, usually from Australia (I'm in the US). I think when Electrical Storm came out, I got the singles for around $5 US each because of the great exchange rate.

I download boots. I have bought two in the past (both U2), before I had a CD burner.
I like the boots I have traded or downloaded... but I am kind of not as addicted to them as I used to be. Who has time to listen to them all? :shrug:

As for singles, U2 and Coldplay are the only bands I buy singles for. I have some singles from other artists... but it's not a habit I usually indulge in. Gets too expensive and then you have all these usless CD's kicking around in your collection. Who usually sits and puts on a single? It's got like 15min play time and it's usually the same song three times over with different remixes. Mind u, that being said, I'd say my favourite single is Electrical Storm with the two NY mixes. :up:

I've never bought a bootleg -- I did receive one as a gift that had been bought, though. I really don't want to buy bootlegs.

I buy all my singles.. I pretty much only buy U2 singles though, and they're worth the money for me. :)

Angel - that Electrical Storm single is fantastic :up: Especially the Nasty Mix.. so different but great. One of my favourite singles.

:reject: I just bought Coldplay's "The Scientist" single. :drool: I am I love with "I Ran Away".

I only buy singles if the Bsides are really good! And the same with bootlegs and I wouldn't spend stupid amounts of money for things on EBAY like some people do.

just U2 singles for me. I have everything from Joshua Tree to the present, so I'm inclined to buy them as they are released....which used to be a lot easier....when THEY ACTUALLY RELEASED THEM IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that there are now up to 7 version per song....

Nate Dogg said:
just U2 singles for me. I have everything from Joshua Tree to the present, so I'm inclined to buy them as they are released....which used to be a lot easier....when THEY ACTUALLY RELEASED THEM IN THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

OK, this is the reason why I like buying singles:
In the Netherlands Coldplay is on the verge of a gigantic breakthrough. Their concert in Rotterdam last year was sold-out and highly acclaimed. Today, tickets went on sale for a stadium sized show (a double concert with Live with Supergrass and another band as a support act).
So what do they do? They release a special edition (or rather 3 editions) of their new single Clocks with in total 10 live tracks from the Rotterdam concert! Not only will the single probably chart high, buyers get the chance to hear Coldplay live. So you'll know what I'll be buying in 2 and 4 weeks time (hint, part 2 and part 3).
At just 5 euro's a single is a superb way to check out artists or hear live tracks.

(Last week I bought the single of a Dutch band: Kane. The single contained 3 live tracks from their Rotterdam concert + a free DVD single. Upon hearing the tracks I now know that they make good singles but that their other tracks are lacking a bit. For 7 euros it's not to bad to find that out).

C ya!

Marty

Call it a single and I won't buy it. Call it an EP and I'll consider it. ;)

As for bootlegs, I'm in Angel's boat. I have quite alot of them but I don't really listen to them much right now...it also kinda bugs me that they're all U2. :|

Last edited:
brettig said:
As for bootlegs, I'm in Angel's boat. I have quite alot of them but I don't really listen to them much right now...it also kinda bugs me that they're all U2. :|
Why don't you start trading your U2 bootlegs for bootlegs of other artists you like?

Back
Top Bottom