Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet? - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #496
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Taking everything into consideration, and as a Boston fan, I would have to say that Piazza has had a better career than Manny. As a 42nd round gift pick, no one had any expectations for him as a player. To say that people thought he could reach the majors would be a stretch. He is the arguably the greatest offensive catcher in the history of the game.

Manny was a first round pick out of high school and had all the expectations in the world. Piazza is not the best defensive catcher but Manny is far from the best defensive outfielder. He would probably be even worse if the Sox hadn't moved him into left field.

The numbers are comparable but when you see the whole picture, I'd take Piazza over Manny.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

The numbers are comparable but when you see the whole picture, I'd take Piazza over Manny.
The numbers are fairly comparable now, but Manny is 4 years younger.
Piazza looks to end up with somehwere between 400-450 HRs depending upon if he can DH for a couple of years in the AL.

Manny is looking at possibly 600 career HRs.

Now clearly Piazza exceeded expectations by an incredible margin and Ramirez was expected to be a great player, both are sure fire hall of famers, but at the end of the day, Manny will have had the better career, and thats not taking anything away from Mike Piazza, he'll go down as one of the all time greats at his position for sure.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:49 AM
I am a Yankee fan, and if you really read my last comment, it's kind of hard to find the parts where I "talk shit". I'm just being objective, and nowhere in my comments did it say the Yanks were better now, or had the better future.

I'm just saying that if Met expectations are so low that winning 2 out of 3 from the Yanks to pull yourselves up to .500 while still remaining in last place in your division makes you happy....well.....that does not speak too well for your franchise, sorry. You can rationalize it with comments about how "strong" the division is, but, hey, be stronger than the teams ahead of you.

And, yeah, Steinbrenner spends like a madman, sometimes that's good, sometimes, like now, it's a nightmare. But, you guys have a healthy payroll, and you just bought Pedro and Beltran, and you're in last place. That's nothing to really brag about.

I love my team no matter where they are in the standings (I'm 34, I remember the 1989-1993 stretch, the Yanks were beyond horrid but I still watched and attended games. Anyone remember Mel Hall, Barfield, Tartabull, Andy Hawkins, Tim Leary, Paul Zuvella, Andy Stankiwiecz, Kevin Maas, Brien Fucking Taylor, Wade Taylor, Rich Dotson, Scott Sanderson, Jack Clark, Scott Nielsen, etc???? Oy Vey), as I'm sure the Met fans on interference do. And, yeah, this season is a total embarassment. As sports fans, we all know that biggest payroll does not always = winning (Ask the NY Rangers, NY Knicks, Washington Redskins, Dallas Mavericks and on and on), nor does low payroll always = losing...but payroll sure does help, of course. Anyway, the point is, when you see a surly Randy Johnson ignore his catcher and pitching coach...when you see A-Rod consistently avoid collisions because he's a prima donna....when you see 2 rookies in the rotation...when you see Womack running around LF or CF like some little leaguer....when you see Giambi try to play 1B....when you hear Mussina whine anytime they break his routine....when you see Kevin Brown be the piece of shit he is......you wonder about things. Money spent is not always money well spent...and in the late 90's, the Yanks spent their money well. Now they're like drunken sailors, and it's catching up with them. It's a bummer for me, but it's reality, the cycle is starting to end for them, I'm just thrilled to have had such a great decade.

So, do the Mets have the better immediate future? They likely do, especially if Pedro can pitch like this for another few years. Do I respect what the Mets are doing? Yup. Do I hate them? Yup. Do I think the Yanks are having the better year, all things considered? No way. Do I think the Mets are still a disappointment, right now, at this stage of the season? Yes, and that's why I don't understand being a happy Met fan right now. Both teams are not worth bragging about.

Piazza vs. Manny is a tough one. I think I'd take Piazza, just because he has produced so much at a position not at all known for offensive production. Can't go wrong with either as a hitter, though. Anyone read the SI article on Manny last year? They had a box with his career splits.......His AVG. on the road, at home, at night, day, turf, grass, interleague, intraleague, with the Sox, with the Indians, vs. lefties, vs. righties.....every single career AVG. was above .300. It's amazing, he's a hitting savant. He's a better outfielder than Womack, too.

Meet the Mets....greet the Mets.....etc.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #499
ONE
love, blood, life

John Rocker was released Monday by the Long Island Ducks after the pitcher told the Atlantic League team he wanted to reassess his future.

Rocker joined the Ducks in April and went 0-2 with a 6.50 ERA in 23 games, striking out 19 and walking 28 in 18 innings.

"After pitching for two months with the Long Island Ducks, the consistency required to pitch at the major league level, and the consistency I demand from myself, are not where they should be," Rocker said in a statement released by the team. "As a result, I have elected to take a step back and re-evaluate the options available to me."
Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #500
ONE
love, blood, life

I read in the NY Post today (yeah, sad day, huh?) that Steinbrenner sent an entourage to the MLB offices to complain about the lack of calls the Yankees got during the Mets series this weekend.

WHAT AN ASS!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 AM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

Time to set up the official MLB 2K5 part 2 thread.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #502
Blue Crack Addict

do mods ever check in on this forum? i say this could be a good test. hey mod, if youre reading this you need to close this thread, until you do we will keep posting on...

lets see how long we can keep this going
Old 06-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #503
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think we'll get too far. It's taken almost four months to hit 500.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

well we will see how many days it takes for a mod to notice it's over 500 posts

my guess is at least a month
Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #505
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

do mods even know this forum exists?

meanwhile derrek lee is gaining on albert pujols for all star starter at 1st...not that it really matters because the all star game for the most part is boring, but ive gotten like 50 emails from mlb.com telling me this.

"The Yankees' search for a younger, quicker outfield led them to a tentative deal with the Mets that would've sent Gary Sheffield to Shea in exchange for Mike Cameron and Miguel Cairo, according to a major league executive who'd been briefed on the talks."

i've also read that the orioles are really making a serious run at trading for AJ Burnett too.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #506
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
do mods even know this forum exists?
Yes we do

500 post enforcer here!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Keith Foulke is having himself a wonderful seasons up here in Boston, it's only a matter of time before he gets a classic nickname like Upper Deck Beck or Way Back Wasdin. It's amazing that this guy has fallen so much after the dominance he displayed last season.