Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pffffft pujols isnt going anywhere for a long time

but the rest of those guys will be yankees by 2007

the mets have a new network starting next year... which will be an absolute gold mine, similar to that of the yankees' YES network... they have a new stadium comming in 2009, which will do more to help the mets than any new stadium for the yankees will help them... they already sell out. piazza's a free agent who won't be returning, freeing up a good 15 million dollars to sign another big name free agent this offseason. they have a core of young stars on the left side of the infield in reyes and wright who, baring injury, should only get better with time, and in the last two drafts they've taken either the #1 or the #2 pitching prospects available... which by no means gaurantees that they'll be studs, but it's a good start...

the yankees have probably the worst farm system in all of baseball, and they haven't won a championship since the boss rekindled his love affair with buying players as opposed to building through the farm system (jeter, bernie, pettite, rivera, posada, soriano) and adding the extra pieces when neccesary (clemens, brosius, o'neal, martinez, strawberry, cone, etc.)

yea... i'll take the mets.

No spoken words said:

Your priorities are a tad messed up. You should be a disappointed Met fan, because your team spent a ton of $$$ in the off-season on new players, and a new manager, and you are in the basement.

You're a .500 team, and so are they. They just lost 3 out of 4 to the D-Rays, so, it's not like you're beating a well oiled machine.

So, if beating the Yanks is what makes Met fans happy, well, this is your one year to rejoice.

If winning your division and going to the playoffs is what makes Met fans happy, well, this is likely not your year to rejoice.

As for the Orioles comment, agreed. Kudos to them and Mazilli for being in front this long, very impressive and unexpected. Will be interesting to see if they make a trade to bolster their pitching staff (Schmidt??), or if they stand pat and roll the dice. Need Mora back, though.

hehehe, No my priorties are quite good. the mets were terrible last year, and they have improved this year. you say the mets are in the cellar, yes they are, which shows how good their divison is, tampa bay i mean come on, the mets divison does not have a high school team to beat up on such as the yanks. I agree with headache about yankee fans rationalizing.....I just dont get how anyone can like the yanks

also, dont be so sure about the yanks being better from here on out, well maybe this year, but rest of the decade? As mentioned before Piazza drops off the books next year, Wright looks like he could explode at any moment into a super star and if they could find any way to get rid of Mat-booie they will be in awesome shape

TheBrush said:
I just dont get how anyone can like the yanks

perhaps the 26 championships and decades of winning has something to do with it.

i'm a met fan, and i'm not crazy about those guys in pinstripes... but let's not go crazy... the mets are not, and never will be, the franchise that the yankees are... there isn't a team in all of baseball that can match the yankees track record of success.

that said... this current year's team is a bunch of over-paid prima donnas... (who unfortunatly could still turn it around and stop underachieving at anytime, and tend to go on a winning streak every time i proclaim them dead in the water... so thus then by praising them i hope to use a little reverse psychology on the ole' karma thing)

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

perhaps the 26 championships and decades of winning has something to do with it.

i'm a met fan, and i'm not crazy about those guys in pinstripes... but let's not go crazy... the mets are not, and never will be, the franchise that the yankees are... there isn't a team in all of baseball that can match the yankees track record of success.

that said... this current year's team is a bunch of over-paid prima donnas... (who unfortunatly could still turn it around and stop underachieving at anytime, and tend to go on a winning streak every time i proclaim them dead in the water... so thus then by praising them i hope to use a little reverse psychology on the ole' karma thing)

i know its bc of the winning. its bc everyone is a front runner. I wasnt implying the mets were going to rival the yanks as a franchise in terms of their history, but I could see them being as competitive as the yanks for the rest of the decade.

Actually I.m going to see the mets right before the all-star break in Pitt. Im definitely going to the first two games, I might go to the third if Pedro is scheduled to pitch, I also dont know if Piazza will play cause of the whole day game after a night game, but it is the last game beofre the break.

:hyper:

If I were in NY I'd be more excited about the Mets than the Yanks, but only if they can find a closer by the trade deadline...Looper is god awful. They should for now give the job to Hernandez.
Boy it would have been nice to see the Boss' reaction to being swept by the Mets.
Anyway, nothing to complain about in Beantown, especially with Schilling on his way to a minor league rehab stint. Orioles faded a bit sooner than I expected, I though the pitching could hold out till late July/early August. The classic June Swoon.

F*&^ Looper.....

I used to get excited when Piazza would get up to the plate, but I have finally come to terms with the fact that he is no longer the player he once was and I no longer expect him to hit 435 foot bombs to dead center...... I miss those days, but it's time for him to become a DH.

oh yeah, F@#$ Looper

for a 42nd round, sure I'll draft your God-son pick, Piazza has had an absolutely amazing career. A shoo-in for Cooperstown. It makes me feel a little older knowing that he can't hit those 435 foot bombs to center anymore.

who was better in this stretch? not many

1996 - 36 hr 105 rbi .336 BA
1997 - 40 hr 124 rbi .362 BA
1998 - 32 hr 111 rbi .328 BA (for 3 teams !)
1999 - 40 hr 124 rbi .303 BA
2000 - 38 hr 113 bri .324 BA
2001 - 36 hr 94 rbi .300 BA
2002 - 33 hr 98 rbi .280 BA

:bow:

Good thing you said "not many" and not "Not Manny"

96: .309 33HR 112 RBI
97: .328 26HR 88 RBI
98: .294 45HR 145 RBI
99: .333 44HR 165 RBI
00: .351 38HR 122 RBI
01: .306 41 HR 125 RBI
02: .349 33HR 107 RBI

i would take the 62nd round draft pick over manny, look at the games played, piazza rocked!!!!!

catchers get beat up and he played in dodger stadium and shea, not hitters ballparks.

Manny in cleveland and boston, they fitt him well.

Taking everything into consideration, and as a Boston fan, I would have to say that Piazza has had a better career than Manny. As a 42nd round gift pick, no one had any expectations for him as a player. To say that people thought he could reach the majors would be a stretch. He is the arguably the greatest offensive catcher in the history of the game.

Manny was a first round pick out of high school and had all the expectations in the world. Piazza is not the best defensive catcher but Manny is far from the best defensive outfielder. He would probably be even worse if the Sox hadn't moved him into left field.

The numbers are comparable but when you see the whole picture, I'd take Piazza over Manny.

randhail said:

The numbers are comparable but when you see the whole picture, I'd take Piazza over Manny.
The numbers are fairly comparable now, but Manny is 4 years younger.
Piazza looks to end up with somehwere between 400-450 HRs depending upon if he can DH for a couple of years in the AL.

Manny is looking at possibly 600 career HRs.

Now clearly Piazza exceeded expectations by an incredible margin and Ramirez was expected to be a great player, both are sure fire hall of famers, but at the end of the day, Manny will have had the better career, and thats not taking anything away from Mike Piazza, he'll go down as one of the all time greats at his position for sure.

I am a Yankee fan, and if you really read my last comment, it's kind of hard to find the parts where I "talk shit". I'm just being objective, and nowhere in my comments did it say the Yanks were better now, or had the better future.

I'm just saying that if Met expectations are so low that winning 2 out of 3 from the Yanks to pull yourselves up to .500 while still remaining in last place in your division makes you happy....well.....that does not speak too well for your franchise, sorry. You can rationalize it with comments about how "strong" the division is, but, hey, be stronger than the teams ahead of you.

And, yeah, Steinbrenner spends like a madman, sometimes that's good, sometimes, like now, it's a nightmare. But, you guys have a healthy payroll, and you just bought Pedro and Beltran, and you're in last place. That's nothing to really brag about.

I love my team no matter where they are in the standings (I'm 34, I remember the 1989-1993 stretch, the Yanks were beyond horrid but I still watched and attended games. Anyone remember Mel Hall, Barfield, Tartabull, Andy Hawkins, Tim Leary, Paul Zuvella, Andy Stankiwiecz, Kevin Maas, Brien Fucking Taylor, Wade Taylor, Rich Dotson, Scott Sanderson, Jack Clark, Scott Nielsen, etc???? Oy Vey), as I'm sure the Met fans on interference do. And, yeah, this season is a total embarassment. As sports fans, we all know that biggest payroll does not always = winning (Ask the NY Rangers, NY Knicks, Washington Redskins, Dallas Mavericks and on and on), nor does low payroll always = losing...but payroll sure does help, of course. Anyway, the point is, when you see a surly Randy Johnson ignore his catcher and pitching coach...when you see A-Rod consistently avoid collisions because he's a prima donna....when you see 2 rookies in the rotation...when you see Womack running around LF or CF like some little leaguer....when you see Giambi try to play 1B....when you hear Mussina whine anytime they break his routine....when you see Kevin Brown be the piece of shit he is......you wonder about things. Money spent is not always money well spent...and in the late 90's, the Yanks spent their money well. Now they're like drunken sailors, and it's catching up with them. It's a bummer for me, but it's reality, the cycle is starting to end for them, I'm just thrilled to have had such a great decade.

So, do the Mets have the better immediate future? They likely do, especially if Pedro can pitch like this for another few years. Do I respect what the Mets are doing? Yup. Do I hate them? Yup. Do I think the Yanks are having the better year, all things considered? No way. Do I think the Mets are still a disappointment, right now, at this stage of the season? Yes, and that's why I don't understand being a happy Met fan right now. Both teams are not worth bragging about.

Piazza vs. Manny is a tough one. I think I'd take Piazza, just because he has produced so much at a position not at all known for offensive production. Can't go wrong with either as a hitter, though. Anyone read the SI article on Manny last year? They had a box with his career splits.......His AVG. on the road, at home, at night, day, turf, grass, interleague, intraleague, with the Sox, with the Indians, vs. lefties, vs. righties.....every single career AVG. was above .300. It's amazing, he's a hitting savant. He's a better outfielder than Womack, too. :)

Meet the Mets....greet the Mets.....etc.

:)

John Rocker was released Monday by the Long Island Ducks after the pitcher told the Atlantic League team he wanted to reassess his future.

Rocker joined the Ducks in April and went 0-2 with a 6.50 ERA in 23 games, striking out 19 and walking 28 in 18 innings.

"After pitching for two months with the Long Island Ducks, the consistency required to pitch at the major league level, and the consistency I demand from myself, are not where they should be," Rocker said in a statement released by the team. "As a result, I have elected to take a step back and re-evaluate the options available to me."

I read in the NY Post today (yeah, sad day, huh?) that Steinbrenner sent an entourage to the MLB offices to complain about the lack of calls the Yankees got during the Mets series this weekend.

WHAT AN ASS!

do mods ever check in on this forum? i say this could be a good test. hey mod, if youre reading this you need to close this thread, until you do we will keep posting on...

lets see how long we can keep this going :shifty:

well we will see how many days it takes for a mod to notice it's over 500 posts

my guess is at least a month

do mods even know this forum exists?

meanwhile derrek lee is gaining on albert pujols for all star starter at 1st...not that it really matters because the all star game for the most part is boring, but ive gotten like 50 emails from mlb.com telling me this.

"The Yankees' search for a younger, quicker outfield led them to a tentative deal with the Mets that would've sent Gary Sheffield to Shea in exchange for Mike Cameron and Miguel Cairo, according to a major league executive who'd been briefed on the talks."

i've also read that the orioles are really making a serious run at trading for AJ Burnett too.

Keith Foulke is having himself a wonderful seasons up here in Boston, it's only a matter of time before he gets a classic nickname like Upper Deck Beck or Way Back Wasdin. It's amazing that this guy has fallen so much after the dominance he displayed last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom