Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice. have a blast.

i gotta get out to shea soon. I miss that damn beat up red apple that pops up when a met hits a homer

Nationals have some talent........they could eventually end up in first or at the very least, become a spoiler down the stretch.

Nationals have been winning by only a small handful runs each game (ala Chicago White Sox - outside of last night). they need to produce more runs.

I have been amazed by the Phillies. I have seen them play four games this year already (in three different ballparks), and they SUCKED up each of those games (except when they beat the Cubs :sad: ).

I am excited about the National League East (that sounds weird).

phanan said:
It's been, oh, 87 years now, but MLB finally figured out that a series between the Cubs and Red Sox was probably a good idea...

Yeah, not so good if you live in Lakeview and want to go anywhere this weekend...:huh: :mad:
And enough with the "Curse" garbage! Excuses, excuses.
PS--> I just heard on the radio that scalpers are selling tickets at face value outside the park. Apparently they have too many. Get over there people if you're interested. :D
Can't there be a rain out so noone wins. :D

Go White Sox.

Last edited:
the yankees are terrible. and by terrible i mean fundamently terrible.

watching giambi botch three plays, posada have a passed ball down the middle of the plate (granted the ball was high but still...youre a catcher...catch...), sheffield go down on one knee to field a ball on a basehit to rightfield with a runner on first and then making a terrible throw to third base allowing sanders to go second and then having robinson cano have a nice E-4....

if youre not playing well against the royals, twins and brewers and you plan to play like this against st louis, youll get what has happened so far.

I am trying to figure out why you are putting the Twins in the same sentence as the Brewers and Royals. with a 603. winning percentage, they have the third best record in MLB behind The White Sox and Cardinals.

:down::|

zonelistener said:
I am trying to figure out why you are putting the Twins in the same sentence as the Brewers and Royals. with a 603. winning percentage, they have the third best record in MLB behind The White Sox and Cardinals.

the twins are a very good team but they're a team that the yankees have historicly handled with ease. the brewers and royals blow. losing the series to two horrific teams and one team that you normaly beat just adds to the ever growing facts that the yankees, despite an MVP type season out of a-rod, just really aren't that good. their pitching is old and with the exception of rivera their bullpen stinks. randy johnson has finally broken down. he either needs to go back to the NL, where he may be able to squeek out another good year or two, or simply just retire. it's over for him.

back to a-rod for a second... how ironic is it that now that he's finally putting up the numbers we expect him to put up, the yankees stink.

and now to the twins, and the AL central in general... cleveland, kansas city and detroit (bitches) all suck... and really really suck... so both minnesota and chicago have a chance to win a lot of games.

the angels and the rangers don't appear to be going anywhere, and seattle and oakland both blow.

the orioles and red sox are both going to be there till the end, and it looks like even toronto will be hovering around .500 for the season.

so long story short... it's gonna be hard as shit for the yankees to get into the playoffs... in fact, it's going to be difficult for any team from the AL east to win the wild card... so Boston best take over baltimore if they want to defend their title.

zonelistener said:

i think he mentioned those 3 teams because those are the last 3 teams the Yankees has played, and they had played piss poor against all 3 of those teams

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the twins are a very good team but they're a team that the yankees have historicly handled with ease. the brewers and royals blow. losing the series to two horrific teams and one team that you normaly beat just adds to the ever growing facts that the yankees, despite an MVP type season out of a-rod, just really aren't that good.

correct

Chizip said:

i think he mentioned those 3 teams because those are the last 3 teams the Yankees has played, and they had played piss poor against all 3 of those teams

also correct

The Yankees have handled the Twins in the playoffs...I can't find regular season series records, but I believe they have been split pretty evenly (at least over the last few years).

HEY, I know....lets not dwell on the Yankees anymore. Let's be happy that the Mets, Twins and Cards can beat them. Let's focus on the who is doing well - like the O's, Cards, Twins, Gnats, Angels, Padres, Cubs, Sox x 2, etc.

I have to say, the majority of the posts in this thread has something to do with the Yankees. I say, let's move on. Crap, we would NEVER dwell on the Devil Rays sucking so bad for this long. I say let's just let the Yankees suffer for once and focus on the positives. Go NL East!

zoney! said:
The Yankees have handled the Twins in the playoffs...I can't find regular season series records, but I believe they have been split pretty evenly (at least over the last few years).

2004: 4-2
2003: 7-0
2002: 6-0

so for 02, 03 and 04 the Yankees in the regular season were 17-2 against the Twins. Not that even :wink:

but i agree with the rest of your post, no point in really focusing on the yankmees when there are many more exciting and GOOD teams out there this year.

where did you find that (obviously better at finding sports stats than me)? Well, I see a positive trend though. :)

I am stuck watching the Cards game (check your local listings :mad: - and see how I did not even mention the team they are playing). At least they could be doing right now is winning (the cards). :mad: Nice double play to end the half-inning there.

zonelistener said:
where did you find that (obviously better at finding sports stats than me)? Well, I see a positive trend though. :)

I am stuck watching the Cards game (check your local listings :mad: - and see how I did not even mention the team they are playing). At least they could be doing right now is winning (the cards). :mad: Nice double play to end the half-inning there.

haha, yeah, and im stuck watching the cubs game. wanna switch local listings please? i hate that i have the extra innings ticket but i dont get any saturday day games on it because of fox game of the week. oh well.

and as for the stats, check out

www.baseball-reference.com

easily the best baseball stats site out there. they dont do the current season until the season ends, but for all seasons past, they have it all.

yes...being in connecticut with the Sox makes sense...Can we change local listing? :D

Cards are up in the bottom of the eighth - down 4-0 and Nunez just led off with a first punch single.

RALLYTIME - come on Cards.

Last time they showed, didn't look so good for the Cubs.

cubbies took the lead.

yeah, its weird sometimes though in connecticut, ill get yankee and met games over red sox games on these saturday game of the weeks. guess whichever they decide to pick for that week.

good old Mlb gamecast from the cards website works i guess. :|

i can live with david wright making costly errors a hell of a lot more than i can live with kaz matsui doing it.

wright's going to be the cornerstone of this franchise for years to come... but he's 22 years old. he's going to make mistakes... and yesterday's mistake was costly.

but so far he's honestly been our most consistant hitter... so hey... ya gotta deal with the growing pains, but it'll all be worth it when he's a career .300-30-100 guy, and the first time in mets history that they can say that thirdbase is set (three years of hojo not withstanding)

I agree Headache. He's won more games for us than he's lost. There have been a handful of games so far where no one in the lineup could hit, but he did and won us a few. That error yesterday was just painful though, given the score and inning.

when teams like the yankees, red sox, and mets give out bloated contracts (see Renteria) those are the contracts other players use as a starting point in their negotiations. Because Renteria signed for 10 million, then Cabrera thinks he should get 8 million, and then Rollins gets this deal.

When in reality Renteria probably should have gotten 8 million per year, then Cabrera would have gotten 6, and Rollins deal would have been less.

So when people say, oh its ok for these teams to overspend because it doesnt effect them much, I don't buy it because it effects every other team trying to negotiate with players. And then you end up with a 10 million dollar .265 hitter, an 8 million .239 hitter, and guy hitting .267 getting a 47 million dollar deal.

i remember a time when 10 million could buy you a little more than that.

i agree to a point... the biggest problems when it comes to bloated payroll are the yankees and the devil rays.

the yankees pay way too much, the devil rays pay way too little.

the red sox in turn pay a fortune to match the yankees.

the mets then over-pay for players because it's the only way they can get the players to pick the mets over the yankees.

and then it trickles down about halfway through the league.

but then you have the devil rays, who only put a 29 million dollar team on the field, despite getting millions in revenue sharing dollars from the yankees, red sox, mets and other high salary teams, and just pocket the money rather than spending it to improve their teams.

baseball needs a max salary cap as well as a minimum.

but the MLBPA is the strongest union in america... thus then, it'll never happen.

Chizip said:
when teams like the yankees, red sox, and mets give out bloated contracts (see Renteria) those are the contracts other players use as a starting point in their negotiations. Because Renteria signed for 10 million, then Cabrera thinks he should get 8 million, and then Rollins gets this deal.
Teams are overpaying for shortstops nowadays, the position used to be all about defense, the days of Bert Campeneris, Davy Concepcion, Mark Belanger, Rick Burleson, and others...teams didn't look to the position for offense. Not today, its become a high profile offensive position.
It all goes back to Aroid and Jeter however for this current SS salary spiral.
ARod gets his ridiculous deal and The Yanks give Jeter 18Mil/yr. Tejada then gets his 15mil/yr from the O's (possibly the only one who is worth his salary relatively speaking in the bunch).
So now Nomahh feels snubbed when offered a $60 mil/4yr extension with the Red Sox in spring 2004. So he has to be moved, the Sox then need a SS to replace him and get Renteria at $10 mil/yr, when he is probably valued a bit less, but for the Sox its a bargain cause they had planned to commit 15 mil a year to the position for Nomar, and are lucky he didn't sign cause his body is breaking down. But this then elevates the market value of Cabrera and Rollins and manages to allow even the likes of David Eckstein to strike a deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom