Do we have an official MLB 2k5 thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aw.....*sniff*

A Throwback to Ruth: Millar Homers for Birthday Girl

We received this e-mail from a girl who claims Kevin Millar made her birthday wish come true:

"I have a truly amazing story that happened on my 25th birthday, May 9th, that I think would make a lot of people smile.

"Monday at the Cheesecake Factory where I'm a waitress, Kevin Millar (my favorite Red Sox player) came in with his family and because it was my birthday and because of his hitless streak, I asked him to hit a home run for me on my birthday. He looked at me and said... "I tell you what. If I hit a home run tonight, it will be for you."

"Meanwhile, he has yet to hit a home run all season. So, I go to the game, have amazing seats, 7 innings go by and no home run and I think to myself... "at least you got to meet him, whatever, it's okay...." THEN SLAM!!! KEVIN SENDS ONE INTO THE MONSTAH!!!!! I go nuts. Everyone around me has heard me predict this and is hugging me and high-fiving me. I thought that would be the end of my story but after the game, I wanted him to acknowledge his promise so I wait with 200 other fans outside the players' parking lot for him to come out. The crowd sees him finally and starts going nuts. I start yelling "CHEESECAKE!!!" (haha, I'm a loser, I know, but it was the only way he would recognize me!) Finally, his wife sees me and starts elbowing Kevin who personally starts waving to me and I get passed security. He gives me a big bear hug and says "See. I told you I'd hit a home run for you on your birthday."

"I was wondering if you could do a story on it to show Boston what a down-to-earth, awesome guy Millar is. After my birthday, he is on fire!! It made this Back Bay waitress have the birthday of her dreams." -- Elizabeth Roderick

This waitress related to the guy who's son A-Roid saved from immminent squishing on Newbury Street a few weeks back?

That Millar really goes out on a limb..."If I hit a home run, it'll be for you"...OK, well if I happen to solve world hunger tonight, it'll be for that waitress too.

I forgot it was a day game today, it would have been a great day to be there

Jason just hit a homer in the ninth and they won!

I forgot, we were both at the 7Eleven last night getting Slurpees and he said he'd hit one for me

Last edited:
Today is a crazy baseball day, lots of good afternoon games....I'm watching:

Yanks/M's
A's/Sox
Mets/Cubs
Tigers/Rangers
WSox/DRays

All are close games so far, with the Yankee game being a slugfest, and the Red Sox game ending in exciting fashion, especially if you are a Sox fan.
Will now shut NESN off, put FSN Ohio on and watch the Tribe/Angels. :)

Headache in a Suitcase said:

yea i know... unless they have him skip a start, or maybe move up a spot in the rotation due to the two off days they have between now and then...

oh well... deffinetly would've been interesting to watch pedro pitch against the yankees in a national league park...

Well, they must have made a change, because now they are saying that Pedro's next scheduled start is the opener of the Yankees series on Friday.

That will be fun to watch.

watching piazza throw to second base is one of the best things in sports

today there was a pitchout with a slow runner on first

well they caught the guy trying to steal but piazzas throw barely made it to the pitchers mound and rolled the rest of the way so the guy was obviously safe

great stuff :up:

When was the last time Randy didnt strike out a batter in a start?

At least the Yankees got the win...trying to buy some tickets to the Yanks/Mets game on saturday before the u2 MSG show. That would be a great day.

really?? I didn't know Pedro was originally scheduled Friday. I thought he was going Saturday, and then got pushed back to Sunday.

All the same, I was mad because I got tickets for Saturday and thought I was going to see Pedro vs. the Big Unit.

But its the yanks vs. the mets, going to be a great game regardless.

:shrug:

five games so far this year
four times seeing the Phillies (not intentional)
four ballparks

Camden Yards this past weekend! Best Stadium yet.

zoney! said:

Camden Yards this past weekend! Best Stadium yet.

One of my favorites. Even though the Nats are in town now, I still go to Camden beacause I love the park so much.

his comments after the game were great. "it was wet out there, the ball got slippery and things happen. Just like when their guy, German, hit Alex.

I think it's great that he's talking about this, I honestly do. I finally found something to like about him :wink:

NEW YORK (AP) Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez is proud to be in therapy, calling it "an incredible thing" that he helped him discover a different life.

Rodriguez told the television show Extra in an interview taped to air Wednesday that he was reluctant to go to therapy because "in many ways therapy is synonymous with a bad thing and why let the train wreck come before you fix it." But he credits his wife, Cynthia, for convincing him to go.

"I think it's a different life that I've discovered and I thank Cynthia for that ... because therapy is an incredible thing and you might get to know someone who you didn't even know was in there," he said.

Because it is so rare for an athlete to say he is seeking help, Rodriguez's comments made the front page of the Daily News on Wednesday.

"I don't think kids need to feel like the oddball," he said before Wednesday night's game against Detroit. "It's something neglected very much. I just know it's a really good thing for kids."

Rodriguez donated $200,000 on Tuesday to the Children's Aid Society to benefit mental health programs that work with young students in Manhattan.

"I would never just talk about it to talk about it. Because of the children, it was easy," he said Wednesday.

Rodriguez has said in the past that he was deeply affected when his father left his family when he was 9.

"I didn't have anyone to talk to, but I did have mentors and coaches," he said.

Rodriguez said he'd been in therapy for 10-to-11 months.

"It's about life in general and managing life. Baseball is just secondary," he said.

Rodriguez hit two home runs Tuesday night in New York's 12-3 win over Detroit. He leads the majors in homers and RBIs.

When he first started seeking help, Rodriguez saw three different therapists. Now he goes to two, and believes all children would be helped with therapy.

"For those kids, if they can have that advantage at this point in their lives, I think it would behoove them," he told Extra.

Numb1075 said:
his comments after the game were great. "it was wet out there, the ball got slippery and things happen. Just like when their guy, German, hit Alex.

hadn;t heard that, good stuff.

what ever a-rod's been doing, it's certainly been working... he's back to looking like the "best player in the game" a-rod, instead of the "really really good player that isn't the best player so everyone's gonna knock him because he makes 252 million" a-rod

... but then again, if he puts up a stinker against the red sox this weekend, he'll get boooed all over again.

Last edited:
"It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take The Rapists for $200, Alex."

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

"I'll take the Penis Mightier for $500 Alex"

That's the Pen Is Mightier

"Dussy it up anyway you want man... but does it work? Does it really mighty your penis?!"

i think the mets are in for one of their patented 10 game slides right about now... hopefully leading up to the firing of willie randolph.

yes i know... i sound like a whiney red sox/cubs fan... i just don't want a joe torre disciple as my manager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom