Do not see THE SINGING DETECTIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
until you have watched the 415 minute BBC production.

Has anyone else watched this?

yes, Robert Downey Jr is one of our great actors.

He will probably draw a big box office.

here are some remarks regarding the BBC production

There's no question that the greatest films of the past 25 years have been TV miniseries, from "I Claudius" to "The Decalogue" to "Nicholas Nickleby" to "The Singing Detective." The ability to stretch out over 6 to 10 hours is certainly a key to doing justice to a theme or great work of literature.

"The Singing Detective" is a bold, multileveled BBC series that is made all the more powerful considering that it is based on the author Dennis Potter's losing battle with a skin disease combined with his incredibly rich fantasies, painful memories, and writer's imagination, all rolled into one complex narrative. Over the 6-hour span, his life and personality, as portrayed by the brilliant Michael Chabon as the writer/novel protagonist Philip Marlow (without the "e"), is revealed inventively and poignantly. We sympathize with his wasting disease, admire his clever mind, and see all his hang-ups and "sins" gradually bared to his audience. It is an amazing swan song for a brutally self-honest writer.

I don't quite get what you are saying. Has "The Singing Detective" been made into a movie starring Robert Downey Jr?
I watched the series quite some time ago. It was tragic , but I enjoyed it. It's the first time I had seen Michael Chabon act. He was brilliant. Not long after they aired "Lipstick On My Collar" another Potter tale made into a series, but I didn't watch that one.
But even better was "I, Claudius". My goodness that aired years and years ago.......way past my bedtime, but I used to stay up to watch it. I wouldn't miss an episode. Derek Jacobi was superb, Sian Phillips and the guy that played Augustus too. Nasty days...would you like a grape?

I'm with angie
my attention span hardly allows me to sit through anything longer than a sitcom

even lord of the rings starts to look like the muppet show after 40 minutes in my head

which does make it quite amusing

Salome said:
I'm with angie
my attention span hardly allows me to sit through anything longer than a sitcom

even lord of the rings starts to look like the muppet show after 40 minutes in my head

which does make it quite amusing

actually, that might make it a bit more interesting :hmm:

oh, it definately does
but not everyone in the theatre appreciates you bursting into laughter at least every 10 minutes during that movie :shrug:

cass said:
I don't quite get what you are saying. Has "The Singing Detective" been made into a movie starring Robert Downey Jr?
I watched the series quite some time ago. It was tragic , but I enjoyed it. It's the first time I had seen Michael Chabon act. He was brilliant. Not long after they aired "Lipstick On My Collar" another Potter tale made into a series, but I didn't watch that one.
But even better was "I, Claudius". My goodness that aired years and years ago.......way past my bedtime, but I used to stay up to watch it. I wouldn't miss an episode. Derek Jacobi was superb, Sian Phillips and the guy that played Augustus too. Nasty days...would you like a grape?

saw a partail interview w R. Downey and Charlie Rose..
looks like an interesting flick, however the print media has only given it mediocre reviews..

DB9:larry:

Back
Top Bottom