Do non-American English speakers think American accents are ugly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I would say that a large number of Americans find English/Irish/Scottish/Australian accents very pleasant to listen to, and I know that a lot of women love men with an accent.
smile.gif
So I was wondering if the American accent was considered ugly or interesting or what. I've heard that British people think of American accents like Americans think of the southern accent, which probably isn't in a good light. So what do all you non-Americans have to say?
smile.gif

------------------
"Edge could open a grocery business...hardware, do it yourself. Larry could do the security business. Adam's Larry's bodyguard. I'm going to open a creche...a daycare for befuddled rockstars, the dazed and confused." -Bono on U2's plans to move to Chicago 10/16/01

"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
I've heard that British people think of American accents like Americans think of the southern accent, which probably isn't in a good light. So what do all you non-Americans have to say?
smile.gif

Well, I AM an American...but I don't get the example about the way we think about Southern accents not being thought of in a good light. My fiance has a Southern accent, and it is adorable!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

interesting thread, Giant Lemon

I've always wondered that myself... like you said, I thinkk most Americans are intrigued by British/Irish/Scottish/Australian accents (I know I am), but I don't particularly care for US Southern accents

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
no, you say "a boat" instead of "about"

I'm from Upper Michigan, but everybody tells me I say "a boot" instead of "about"...and I do not!
mad.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Actually, Canadians do not say "aboot." We say "about" and Americans say "abowat."
biggrin.gif

I like pretty much all accents. The only time I find American accents ugly is if I'm watching an English show and most people have English accents and an American accent comes along. It sounds jarring and almost ugly. But then, I'm a Canadian and our accent (or lack thereof) is definitely closer to an American accent than an English one, so there you go.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Sexiest accent= French-Canadian

Most annoying= Kiwi

Funniest= South African & Scottish(especially if you ever read any Irvine Walsh novels)

and in the grand scheme of things I would say that American accents are ok, nothing too special in my opinion, but generally when there is American here in Australia you will hear them before you see them first, why are they always so loud??????
smile.gif

This is a great thread, eh?

I know that I have quite the Ottawa Valley accent...and that it can be pretty annoying at times!

I think that all accents are great! They make a person much more intriguing! But the less common ones (or should I say, the less common around here...so accents from pretty much anywhere excpet the States) are especially nice to listen to!

------------------
*It's just a moment
This time will pass*

accent give a person character, i think the more personalised ones are nice, like if you have ever heard this boxer called lennox lewis, he has a wicked accent, mixed english, jamaican and candian.
it's also funny when people from the US think that they do not hav an accent
smile.gif

I've got a strong Boston accent... a lot of people tell me that they love it - but when I hear myself on a recording etc.... I want to cringe!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Well, I AM an American...but I don't get the example about the way we think about Southern accents not being thought of in a good light. My fiance has a Southern accent, and it is adorable!
smile.gif

I don't mean to offend people with Southern accents- I used to live in Tennessee, and I have a lot of southern friends. It's just that sometimes people with strong southern accents are stereotyped as being dumb hicks/rednecks, etc. I'm not saying that they are hicks, but sometimes that's just how they're viewed. Unfortunately, I think that a southern accent denotes a number of negative things for non-Southerners. So, I guess I'm asking if American accents denote negative qualities as well.

I like American accents. Especially Southern ones, does anyone else wonder at how long it takes for them to complete a sentance? Its so cool!

I cant stand certain pommy ones though. Any of the stronger broguey types like Cockney, my pet hate, are just so damn irritating. My mum was talking to some uncle the other day and he was making pommy 'ha ha' jokes, like "isnt it funny how you Australians say 'France', when we say 'Frarn-ce', like dance and darn-ce". Yeah I was pissing myself eh. I told mum to tell him he's a dickhead and to remove the cherry from his cheek. Toffee nosed twat. Anyway, where was I? Yeah yanks, they talk very cool. So do Kiwi's (choice eh bro?), Scots (even though I have NO clue what they are talking about-Emscorpio, wtf is a maw?) any really.

No offence to poms. You just make us all sound so ocker. Its quite soul destroying!

Well, being Canadian as I am... haha... its kinda funny our stereotypical accents... I garuntee you that no canadian person says about->'a boot' unless theyre humoring you.

However, I love irish, british accents on women... But I can get my fill by going to newfoundland, newfoundland accents kick ass. I think some americans have pretty cool accents too, like new yorkers, bostonians, some of the southern states but not all... I think louisiana and the french/english accents are cool. There are some places tho, the accents just seem to discredit the people by making them sound like complete idiots, althouhg they may in fact be idiots, but who am i to judge.

Long story short, accents = good.

well,

i think that the sexiest english speaking accent is the irish
smile.gif
- although the northern areas can sound very harsh. However any native french speaker certainly can have a cute english accent... grrrrowwwl
wink.gif

the worst for me is the south african, tied with brummie (apologies anyone from birmingham but it really is unpleasant). Kiwi is getting down there as well...

As for north american accents, I can definitely pick the variations. I wouldn't say that any of them are unpleasant, although the deep southern ones can sound completely ridiculous, as do people from newfoundland. It can depend on the person though ...

I lived in canada for a year, and picked up an accent, but lived in england and ireland for 5 years, and haven't. I think it is definitely easier to *acquire* a north american accent than a british one.

Having said that, i cringe when i hear my native australian accent overseas. Maybe because I?m not exposed to it everyday....although perhaps its because I hear some guy dressed in a drizabone and acts like that guy from TV who wrestles snakes and crocodiles while walking around central london... sheesh!

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Back
Top Bottom