Do non-American English speakers think American accents are ugly? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-19-2001, 02:55 AM   #16
I serve MacPhisto
Local Time: 02:53 PM
Well, being Canadian as I am... haha... its kinda funny our stereotypical accents... I garuntee you that no canadian person says about->'a boot' unless theyre humoring you.

However, I love irish, british accents on women... But I can get my fill by going to newfoundland, newfoundland accents kick ass. I think some americans have pretty cool accents too, like new yorkers, bostonians, some of the southern states but not all... I think louisiana and the french/english accents are cool. There are some places tho, the accents just seem to discredit the people by making them sound like complete idiots, althouhg they may in fact be idiots, but who am i to judge.

Long story short, accents = good.

Old 11-19-2001, 02:57 AM   #17
Kid A
Local Time: 02:53 PM
no, you say "a boat" instead of "about"

Old 11-19-2001, 07:25 AM   #18
War Child
Local Time: 06:53 AM

i think that the sexiest english speaking accent is the irish - although the northern areas can sound very harsh. However any native french speaker certainly can have a cute english accent... grrrrowwwl

the worst for me is the south african, tied with brummie (apologies anyone from birmingham but it really is unpleasant). Kiwi is getting down there as well...

As for north american accents, I can definitely pick the variations. I wouldn't say that any of them are unpleasant, although the deep southern ones can sound completely ridiculous, as do people from newfoundland. It can depend on the person though ...

I lived in canada for a year, and picked up an accent, but lived in england and ireland for 5 years, and haven't. I think it is definitely easier to *acquire* a north american accent than a british one.

Having said that, i cringe when i hear my native australian accent overseas. Maybe because Iím not exposed to it everyday....although perhaps its because I hear some guy dressed in a drizabone and acts like that guy from TV who wrestles snakes and crocodiles while walking around central london... sheesh!

In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...