Do computers make the experience of music better? or worse? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
I wasn't around 'back in the day' so I don't really know and quite frankly I don't really care. All I know is that if I didn't have the Internet I probably won't be as obsessed with music as I am now. Maybe with paintings or something.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 03:33 AM
i know exactly what you're getting at, brau.
there's something to be said for nostalgia. in the end, though nostalgia doesn't mean shit.
however, you make a great point about how the earlier music formats literally FORCED you to listen a certain way. remember all those drives for holidays with mom and dad, when the only music we could agree upon was the joshua tree. we'd leave the tape in on auto reverse, literally listen to the album repeatedly. the whole thing, not just the first 3 songs. by the end of that, the entire car was singing along to 'one tree hill'. you really got to know the album inside and out thanks to that. no way that happens today. jsut skip the song, and you're on to one of a gazillion other options.
i've wound up downloading and acquiring way more music at this point than i'll ever get to. but i don't think that's a bad thing. i miss going to the record store for an anticipated release. but i tried to relive it this summer when billy corgan had his record. needless to say, it wasn't as i remember it (the experience). mainly cos the music sucked big time.
but i do like how the computer has made so much available. and i think it's great that i can quickly and easily make a mix for whatever occasion. my best cd mixes take a good amount of planning, and are as worn as my best tape mixes ever were.

anyway, i guess my point is that i miss the old formats, i miss having beautiful artwork - a physical product. but i still think that overall, this is better...

Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Wow, I can relate to every word, MrB!

I remember how totally excited I was when I got a tape deck with a fade button so that if a song didn't quite fit on a tape I could fade it out so it didn't cut off abruptly. I thought I was hot shit.

When I was a kid I sat by the radio for hours waiting for that one song. Often I called the radio station to request it.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh yes. The advantages are obvious: Volume and access.

I was atease earlier today. Someone was asking about the new Supergrass record, whether it was good or not.

The responder got 2 or 3 postive reactions. And 4 or 5 negative. Then stated he'd just downloaded the record, and based on the negative response, he wasn't going to listen to it.

Complete Idiot. But it got me thinking...

This is another area where computers fails. Downloading is great, I love it. But when you buy a record, you're invested in it. Your $10 is gone. You're going to give that record a good chance to make an impression on you. And you're going to have a real opinion about it.

When you steal a record, it's much easier to give it a 1/2 hearted listen, then dismiss it and move onto your next illegal download. Lots of people around with empty opinions about albums and bands they've listened to snippets of.

"Back In The Day" you actually had to buy music. Or make a cassette copy from your brother.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Wow, I can relate to every word, MrB!

I remember how totally excited I was when I got a tape deck with a fade button so that if a song didn't quite fit on a tape I could fade it out so it didn't cut off abruptly. I thought I was hot shit.

When I was a kid I sat by the radio for hours waiting for that one song. Often I called the radio station to request it.
The FADE! I forgot about that. My dad had a nice deck with fade. We thought it was the kings shit!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:27 AM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
This is another area where computers fails. Downloading is great, I love it. But when you buy a record, you're invested in it. Your $10 is gone. You're going to give that record a good chance to make an impression on you. And you're going to have a real opinion about it.

When you steal a record, it's much easier to give it a 1/2 hearted listen, then dismiss it and move onto your next illegal download.
When you have a download limit, you're still investing in it.

I'd rather lose a bit of cash than spend a week on agonisingly slow Internet speeds just because I downloaded a couple of crap albums and blew my download limit. It doesn't feel quite so bad when it's because of good albums.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 AM
I'm old enough to have experienced lps, cassettes, cds and now digital.

CDs are my favourite format. I guess all those years of listening to albums on the earlier formats has trained me to really like that method of listening to music. For me nothing beats physically getting a disc, kicking back, and listening to it straight through. I very rarely put my music of shuffle as I like to hear it the order the artist intended (I do skip some songs though ). Some albums the song order doesn't seem to matter at all, but on some the order makes the album. I don't think I ever made a mix tape...I rarely make mix cds, but they are a whole lot easier when I do.

I have iTunes on my pc, but don't have an iPod (or other mp3 player) and don't expect to get one for some time. I work at home, so I have easy access to all my cds anyway. I do have some music on my iTunes (359 songs, about a day's worth), but it's mostly rarities and bands I am checking out. Also I have some songs I've always liked, but didn't like the band enough to buy a whole album. In previous years I would have just done without, so being able to just get one or two songs is nice. So it's nice once in a while, but the bulk of my listening is still done "the old fashioned way" -- albums (now mostly cds although I still have a fair number of cassettes) listened to from start to finish.

I do love the internet for giving me easy access to music I would never have heard or been able to acquire otherwise. I've gotten into bands no one I know in my "real" life has ever heard of, and I'm able to easily order music from anywhere in the world and not have to depend on some snot nosed, pimply-faced music store clerk to do it for me. I love being able to find out about music I would never hear if not for the people I meet online.

An extra bonus has been that I have been able to converse online with several musicians I admire. Some of the conversations have been simple one off deals, but others have been more extensive (one contact has even worked into a business relationship ). For someone like me, who is just about terminally shy in person, the internet has opened many doors.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

if i hear a new artist that mildly interests me, i can now go and listen to, at the very least, parts of the album before i actually go and buy the entire thing. that has been the greatest benefit of the internet for me.

god knows how much money i wasted on shit ass CDs or tapes because I loved the one song that was on the radio. alas, i can avoid that now.

it also allows me to discover new artists... the killers for example... just because i like the one song i heard on the radio but never heard the DJ say the name of the band... pump the name of the song into iTunes, find the band, listen to the rest of the album, bada bing bada boom, download the album.

i think the people who download only "pride" would be the same people who just skip over the rest of the songs anyway. there's a difference between people who "like" music and those who appreciate music.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #24
Refugee

The web has introduced me to soooooo many great bands. Without it, I don't think I'd be as much as an audiophile as I now am.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #25
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Re: Do computers make the experience of music better? or worse?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Hell, making a mix tape was a real-time experience. You really had to plan out what was going on the tape. Nothing was worse than having the finale of side A cut off cause you ran out of tape. It took planning. For real geeks, it took a paper and pencil as well. Calculating how you could get as much music as possible on
those 90 minute Maxell cassettes.
Ah...memories.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My high-speed Internet connection and my $10 a month subscription to Rhapsody has enriched my life tremendously and exposed me to so much new music.

I think those who truly love music will still listen to albums in their entirety, despite the digital revolution.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Computers are great for music, but they fail just as any media type can. You can knock your PC case while the hard drive is being accessed and lose 8,000 songs in an instant.

Still, I love having everything at my disposal in iTunes.

Being able to look up and download any form of popular music is great and I can't imagine living without Bittorrent, heheh. The catch is, though, that there is a quality issue.

I try to rip CDs now at VBR MP3 using the Alt preset standard (latest LAME codec). I'll get my rock, rap, pop etc off the internet, but for classical music I still go out and buy the recordings.

The dynamic range of classical music just gets destroyed when some random German guy ripping a CD for BT decides that you can fit the range of an orchestra into a 160 kb/s bitrate MP3
Old 02-27-2006, 12:46 AM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Okay, I guess computers can encourage a less thorough and more disposable appreciation of music, but for those of us already set in our ways: all win.

I think computers still encourage the album format (iTunes sorts everything by album, both in the local library and the online store, plus all the seedy torrents and such you come across are usually full albums; you simply have tons of flexible mix options on top of all that, if you choose to take them).

I also like having an actual, physical album to have and to hold 'til death do us part, but I still buy tons of CDs and rip them to my computer to get the best of both worlds (fluff and flexibility).
Old 02-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:33 AM
Does everyone think the idea of the album will exist?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

i've always been ridiculously resistant to technology. metallica was sueing napster, i still thought tapes were the greatest thing. but right now, my ipod is my best friend and i don't know how i dealt with taping stuff off the radio. well, i do, because it was really my only option at the time, but it would drive me up the wall now. i still prefer to buy actual cds or vinyl (i do buy shit on vinyl occasionally for listening purposes, rather than just collectors' purposes) than mp3s. i've yet to purchase anything off itunes. but i've got my entire music collection ripped and recorded to my computer, and the end result is that i listen to a lot more music now than i ever did in high school.

i am majorly guilty of making charts with detailed calculations on what songs are exactly how long and where they'll fit onto a mix tape.