Do any of you enjoy at least one of those hardcore metal bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
While I personally think most of them suck, I really have to say I enjoy Korn. I love their music, and I think it's really cool that Jonathan is very vocal about issues like child abuse. I think their music is very honest, and much better to listen to than say Static X... please don't flame me for this, but I really do like KoRn, and if you appreciate KoRniness, feel free to post here too.

Hi there... I dont really like Korn, but I am a big fan of Rammstein.. yeah not many people like them, and I dont care much for their on stage antics etc. But their music is just a great and powerful mix that I cant help it. The mix of techno beats/heavy guitar riffs etc. are excellent, at least to me. I love how they use the strings/orchestra in their new album as well.

it's heavy dark music some of it, but a lot of them are just expressing their experience of and wishes for the world. It's far from all being negative

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 05-15-2002).]

Originally posted by cass:
About the only 2 bands I pray for the last track to hurry up, is Strapping Young Lad and Danni Filth's screeching vocals. That's why I was curious about Dr Teeth's apparel

Blasphemy!!!

Danni Filth is god and the devil in one person.

Other good bands; Dissection, Amorphis, The Gathering, Orphanage, Rammstein and Nightwish!

Band which suck; Korn and Limp Bizkit.

A thread about metal bands without a mention of Metallica?!?! If you want to hear some real "METAL", listen to "Kill EM' All", Ride The Lightning", or Master of Puppets, by Metallica! GREAT STUFF! I really don't consider Metallica's current stuff or a band like KORN to be "METAL"! Its more just Rock or Rap/Rock.

Metallica used to play some tight, killer tunes, but they just seem to be drifting more and more towards trying to make pop records, which is a waste of time for them (also, maybe our resident sticks man Juan Swallow can substantiate this, but i suspect that Lars Ulrich has gotten very lazy behind the drum kit)

Rammstein is very good sounding, but their lyrics are generally a load of crap if you understand any German

The other bands listed here besides Metallica so far are on the light side. None of them have the speed or intensity of Metallica's first 3 albums. In fact, I would not even call them metal. By the way, Its CLIFF BURTON, not Cliff Young. Might be a while before a new Metallica album. Jason just left, and now James Hetfield has gone into Rehab for Alcohal abuse. It will be interesting to see what they come up with on the next album.

Rammstein, Pantera, Metallica... im sure theres more.. but cant think of any right now

Early Metallica dude, early Metallica!!!
Otherwise... Tool, Rage, Alice In Chains, Zepplin, buddy! Zepplin!...Hmmmm... the list goes on and on!

Peace

I love early 'tallica, except Kill 'Em All has too much of Mustaine's writing on it... Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica CD, though. I don't think they've drifted towards pop so much as they've become a more diverse band. I personally love everything they've ever done. Nothing beats Creeping Death, though.

Originally posted by Trash Can:
Early Metallica dude, early Metallica!!!
Otherwise... Tool, Rage, Alice In Chains, Zepplin, buddy! Zepplin!...Hmmmm... the list goes on and on!

Peace

Also, I think of Zep as a rock n' roll band, my 3rd favorite, but not a metal band. The last really heavy album they made was ZoSo, which wasn't as thick as Zep I or II. Best album is Houses of the Holy, though. I love the flow of that album, and "Over the Hills and Far Away" is sublime.

Originally posted by cass:
UnforgettableLemon, I have 2 teenage sons with a largeheavy music collection. I mainly hear the music thru a wall, but some of it sounds good to me.
I was very excited to take my 15 year old, who thinks Dimebag is a great guitarist, to see Pantera when they toured Australia in May. Tool have just done a few nights here, we couldn't afford to go.It was funny when I first heard Tool I was saying I like that bass player, a kind of circular feel. Lo and behold, a perfect circle emerges.I think I prefer apc. But no way will they miss Machine Head, who will be here at the end of next month. I like the earthy feel of Sepultura but I prefer Soulfly. I like Fieldy's bass playing(from Korn) and Jonathon's intensity.
About the only 2 bands I pray for the last track to hurry up, is Strapping Young Lad and Danni Filth's screeching vocals. That's why I was curious about Dr Teeth's apparel
biggrin.gif

I don't know, it's heavy dark music some of it, but a lot of them are just expressing their experience of and wishes for the world. It's far from all being negative if you take in the lyrics. I know in the past 2 years I've bought a lot more heavy CD's than U2 ones. I'm a sucker for my kids. You would not get a straighter,more together emerging man than my 15 year old. He is not damaged/badly influenced by heavy metal IMHO.Just about on a daily basis one of my
boys
floors me with his sensitivity to and understanding of this world.

I know exactly what you mean. People are too drawn into the stereotype that music with loud gutitars and agressive vocals is somehow dark or evil. It's catharsis, they're expressing emotions, events, and most of the time discouraging the negative things people seem to think they embody.

Metallica were the first band my son got into, and I like them a lot, but I don't think they fit the hardcore metal definition at all.
A Metallica connection was one of the reasons I felt curious about U2's July 6 gig in Copenhagen. That is where Metallica were heading to perform when the tour bus skidded on ice and Cliff Young was killed. Cliff "Em All. Jason was a worthy replacement(almost)and now he's gone too;(

Thanks Sting. About a day after I wrote that I had a flash...Cliff Burton, not Cliff Young(cliff young is an old Aussie farmer who became famous here because he trainied for marathons in gum boots and won them in bare feet)His name just slipped in there. Terrible error.No resemblence whatsoever.

Funny thing, son #2 bought home a Metallica video last night, borrrowed from a mate at school.I was just in rave mode about James and his dad( I love what he says in the "Year and a Half In the Life of.."video something like, James is playing so much better now he's not playing those power chords all the time...so cute, so loving. I'm sorry to read here that James has reached that stage, but so glad he's asked for help. Keep that man safe please.
Bravo for their film clip making too. To see them one after another like that. Brilliant body of work.

Back
Top Bottom