Do all yellowfolk look the same to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an 8 too. Seems Korean troubles me...:|

Funny you know, it is someties easier to pick a person from an Asian background than it is from the west.

What do you mean, Ang? That it's easier to differentiate koreans from the chinese, than say russians from the swedes?

foray

Oops, worded that wrong. Korean, according to that test, is a nationality I had most trouble picking. A few years ago, I spent a year at this art school and I was one of 2 Australians. The rest were from a plethora of Asian countries. After not too long, it was fairly easy to differentiate. Sorry if this is sounding as convoluted as before, I get a bit nervous discussing this because i dont want to think anyone is assuming I stereotype. And by that, I mean, a Japanese might have a different shaped face, a Chinese person's eyes might be slightly different to...a Thai person's eyes. And so on. Unlike the Western world, if you do stop to consider the facial features of groups of Asian folks, they have similarities all of 'mixed' westerners do not. Without hearing me speak, I could be from Germany, America, Ireland, NZ...ya know?

Argh...I just re-read that and now understand what you meant.

Ok, what i have kinda always thought is, you can more easily pick a Korean from a Chinese person, than say an American from a Canadian...Easier to pick a Malaysian from a Japanese, than a Swede from a German...etc. Thats what I think anyway, and it seems that from that test, I have my arse confused with my elbow when it comes to picking if a person is from a Korean background.

wow..i got 6 right. Wierd thing was that I got all six in a row. Numbers 3 - 8. Must have got tired half way through ;)

interesting thread foray!

i only got 6 correct...but i don't feel bad, considering my best friend, who is Chinese and lived in Singapore for a good many years, can rarely tell the difference between Asian ethnicities himself. it just goes to show that you can't really make assumptions based soley on appearance, unless of course you want to stick your foot in your mouth (which of course, we all do now and then).

by the way, i noticed a little article on that site featuring the fruit durian :barf: :yuck: :barf: :yuck:. uhhhhhhh...they should classify it as a rancid meat instead of a fruit. lol. when i was in Singapore and Malaysia not to long ago, if that stuff was anywhere in sight, you could smell it for miles and miles away. thank God they banned it from hotels over there ;). the most adventurous i could be was to try the durian flavored ice cream. lol

yeah, i'm an idiot

I'm not too good at this..................................................................
I'm embarassed:eek: :eek: :eek:
I got a 3:slant:

me too Foray, I got an 8. :shrug:

sometimes I can tell a Laotian or Cambodian person - they tend to have very delicate feattures, small chins...??? My nail tech lady was trying to explain the differences to me once....she said any person from an Oriental country can easily tell the differences in any other Oriental group. Go figure.

But take a look at the first page, scroll down to that little note about the Durian fruit.... :ohmy: :huh: http://www.alllooksame.com/default.asp

Um....don't think I'll be having one of those....like, ever. :yuck:

Yep, folks from IndoChina (Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand) generally have very high cheekbones and small chins.

I absolutely love eating durians. I love how the smell (stench?) wafts into my car whenever I drive past the local market.

foray

foray---

I've been hesitating to say this... but your subject line "yellowfolks" doesn't seem quite P.C. to me :slant:

Of course, I'm not taken to offense lightly... I just wanted to let you know... coming from a Asian myself.

I've been hesitating to say this... but your subject line "yellowfolks" doesn't seem quite P.C. to me

*checks self* But I AM yellow! lol

Sorry if the term bothers you; I figured that since I am Asian myself, it'd be nice to poke fun at my own race.

foray

K, now that mofo was game enough to ask, I got a small question for either soulfulmofo, foray, any other Asian folks here. With that term 'yellow' is it first of all offensive to you? Is it offensive for another Asian person to use that? Is it more/less/no different for a non Asian person to use it? I never know these days what is offensive and what isn't. Its all about how comments are taken too. By using it you may not mean to be offensive, but it can be taken as such. Just wondering...I know everyone is different and some dont like it, some do or dont care either way..

I did not grow up in a Western society so the words "chink" or "yellow" don't really bother me. Folks in Malaysia call one another other names :D

edit: pushed the submit button too early! more...

Also, I've never come across racist name-calling while in a western country. I'm fortunate that way.

The only racist thing I have come across is when ppl assume my Engrish is not the good just because I'm yellowww. :) These people wouldn't call themselves racist either, they too are appalled at racism; but they don't realize that even preconceived notions like that can be mighty insulting. (universal fact for all races)

Finally, I find it humourous when asians ridicule their own race. Same as when white/black ppl ridicule their own ways. Self-mockery is cool.

foray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom