Do airport X-ray machines still fuck up your film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
airports, airlanes, flying, april 27th :barf:

sorry, dunno the answer to your question though.

They do fuck up high-speed professional film still, but most people don't use that.

Melon

That's probably the best option.

At some major thoroughfares like LAX, they use the heavy-duty x-ray machines on your checked luggage... so it's better to take film as carry-on.

Then nothing negative will develop...

Yes, I know.

:sexywink:

I've not had any problems with anything up to 800 speed film in my carry on.

cujo said:
That's probably the best option.

At some major thoroughfares like LAX, they use the heavy-duty x-ray machines on your checked luggage... so it's better to take film as carry-on.

Then nothing negative will develop...

Yes, I know.

:sexywink:

You kill me with those puns Cujo.

martha said:
Thanks.

So put the 400 speed and 200 speed in the carry-on and it'll be ok?

Carry all of your film on. Mention to the TSA folks you have film.

DO NOT check it. Like Cujo said, the "CTX" machines most airports have now screw with film.

Your carry-ons go through a machine, also. You can ask them to hand check your camera and film.

Take all film with you, at 400 and over it could be harmful. Its true that, at the carry on, the big machines can fuck them up, though it hasnt happened with my 400s. You should try to get them handchecked - even if that may mean that you wait ten minutes and they open all of the films to see what´s inside and they treat you unfriendly - actually my dad missed a flight because he had 40 super8 films, and they opened each and everyone. Try to take it easy otherwise the damn TSA will show you their uttermost disrespect... don´t be aggressive with them, if they ruin your film, you will not be entitled to recieve compensation, they will just hand you a complicated form, which you can fill out if you call a number in Washington. If you call there, the agent will only speak with you after you have recorded your full name. Indeed, all incoming calls are recorded as well.

Needless to say you can feel like in a bad dream. One of the reasons why I don ´t plan to relocate in the U.S.

Last edited:
misfit toys said:
Your carry-ons go through a machine, also. You can ask them to hand check your camera and film.

Indeed...but it is a different type of machine. It will not hurt your film if it is 400 or under.

I work for an airline and do plenty of travelling. yup, its 400 and over that is not recommended. Anything under (older kinds) is safe. I use an older type of film with my camera and haven't had a bad development yet. :wink:

Film advice aside, I used to work for the TSA and while the organization was really screwed up, most of the people that worked there were just trying to do their job. I'm not saying it was right, but we had to deal with a lot of shit from people who were so disrespectful and belligerent it was ridiculous. Try dealing with people who think all you are is an inconvenience and a pain in the ass all day every day and you'll get bitchy too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom