DMB And U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
I'm a little confused as to why people dislike the Dave Matthews Band so much. It seems to me that DMB and U2 come from the same music camp. Ya know, they just want to play music that makes people feel happy or sad or at least feel something. I remember when DMB first started getting mainstream success back in the early to mid-90's. I didn't really like Dave's voice. But, I did like the unique sound that the band had together. It seemed like all the players were on the same page. Over the past year, I've gotten a chance to hear many Dave songs that you don't hear on the radio. It was some really moving shit. I listened to a version of #41 on The Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College album and the guitar parts really hit a deeply emotional button. The only other band that really does that to me is U2. I think it would be awesome to see some sort of collaboration between the two bands. After all, they have arguably been the most successful over the last 12 years.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

I guess I'm indifferent about DMB as of now. I have yet to hear something of theirs that I am absolutely in love with. However, I respect that they must be pretty talented to have so many fans and be so popular.

Originally posted by MrPryck2U:
Over the past year, I've gotten a chance to hear many Dave songs that you don't hear on the radio. It was some really moving shit.

I'm with you. It took me awhile to get into them because I didn't like the hits (except of course for "Crash Into Me") and just over the last year I've been discovering the gems you never hear on the radio. Songs like "I Did It," which is just dreadful in my opinion, doesn't do much to persuade people there is some incredible DMB music out there that I feel certain would surprise a lot of U2 fans.

I was lurking over in a DMB forum yesterday to see how the tour's going and there was a thread called "DMB Songs You Hate" and it was hilarious to see the vilest things you can imagine written about "I Did It" by these really hardcore fans. And, interestingly, many fans also wish "Crash Into Me" had never been written because of all the newbie fans who come to shows just to hear that one song and then scream through the whole thing. I was laughing my butt off because they sounded a bit like some other fans I know
wink.gif

And I have to get that DMB/Tim Reynolds record TODAY. I've heard nothing but raves about it.

There are many reasons DMB annoys me.

#1) His lyrics- nonsensical and "shallow" in the way there is nothing below the surface, imo! Hardest thing for me to get past in a song are Shitty lyrics.

#2) His voice, it's screechy to me and quite unattractive.

#3) How he started the band. From my understanding he went all over the world looking for the best musicians. Lame. (call me sentimental/idealistic i prefer the 'we started as kids' routine)

#4) His fans. I find them to be quite cliquey and they like him because it's the "thing" to do (keep in mind I'm mostly talking about pl i know and went to college with, where you were judged by how many times you'd seen dave. trashed, of course.)

So none of that probably enlightened you but *shrug* those are my reasons I can't stand the band, and will always switch the station when his song comes on. so God please NO collaboration.

------------------
I'm honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
There are many reasons DMB annoys me.

#1) His lyrics- nonsensical and "shallow" in the way there is nothing below the surface, imo! Hardest thing for me to get past in a song are Shitty lyrics.

Hmm, I don't think they're nonsensical and shallow at all. On the contrary, I find a lot of poetic depth in them. But it's certainly a matter of personal taste. I do think the musicianship, though, is the strength of the band--that and their passion, intensity and the way they play together.

#2) His voice, it's screechy to me and quite unattractive.

Many people agree with you there. I like it quite a lot.

#3) How he started the band. From my understanding he went all over the world looking for the best musicians. Lame. (call me sentimental/idealistic i prefer the 'we started as kids' routine)

I don't know where you got this from, but Dave lived mostly in South Africa and Cambridge, England with his family (his birth family, I mean) and then when they settled in Charlottesville, VA, that is where he met his current bandmates--in C'ville and the surrounding Virginia music scene. And in fact, one of the band members joined the band when he was only 16 so they do go way back together. I grew up in Virginia so while I had already moved to NYC before DMB hit the scene, a couple of the guys in his band were known to me from back when I was in college as famed local musicians. Dave went no further than Charlottesville to find them.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 04-19-2002).]

some of Dave's shallow and nonsensical lyrics
wink.gif

cry freedom

How can I turn away
Brother/Sister go dancing
Through my head
Human as to human
The future is no place
To place your better days

Cry freedom, cry
From a crowd 10,000 wide
Hope laid upon hope
That this crowd will not subside
Let this flag burn to dust
And a new a fair design be raised
While we wait head in hands,
Hands in prayer
And fall into a dreamless sleep again
And we wave our hands

Hands and feet are all alike
But gold between divide us
But fear between divide us
All slip away

There was a window and by it stood
A mirror in which
He could see himself
He thought of something
Something he
Had never had but hoped
Would come along
Cry freedom, cry
From deep inside
Where we are all confined
While we wave hands in fire
Wave our hands

But fear between divide us,
Slip away
In this room stood a little child
And in this room this little child
She would remain
Until someone might decide
To dance this little child
Across this hall
Into a cold, dark, space
Where she might never trace her way
Across this crooked mile
Across this crooked page
Cry freedom, cry
From deep inside where
We are all confined
Till we wave our hands

How can I turn away
Brother/Sister go dancing
through my head
Human as to human
The future is no place

But fear between divide us
Hear what I say Hear what I say
Oh, so be it

How can I turn away
Brother/Sister go dancing through my head
Human as to human
The future is no place

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I respect that they must be pretty talented to have so many fans and be so popular.

Do you repsect NSYNC? They must be pretty talented to have so many fans and be so popular.
wink.gif
But yes, all members of DMB are quite talented.

#3) How he started the band. From my understanding he went all over the world looking for the best musicians. Lame.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......where the heck did you hear that? He met the other guys while bartending in VA.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

C'mon, now! Let's not get all wacky. This thread is about 2 of the most popular rock bands around today. It's also about what it be like if the some of the band members collaborated. Imagine Dave sitting in with U2 and playing guitar with Edge and backing up or singing with Bono. Or Bono and Edge playing with DMB. Imagine Bono, Edge and Dave writing a song together. That's what I'm trying to get to. 'Cuz right now, in the music industry, it's all a lot of shit. Yeah, there's some good things goin on, but the major rock acts have to emerge once again. Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Beastie Boys, Beck, Jane's Addiction, Guns N Roses, Oasis, Black Crowes, Duran Duran(original members) and Alice In Chains(that's a toughie) all have to come back and fight the dreadful pop slop that we see and hear everywhere. I mean, I love Britney, but for better reasons than her music.
Now, everyone cannot agree about DMB, but let's get our facts straight before we present them for public consumption. Peace!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Originally posted by Se7en:
Do you repsect NSYNC? They must be pretty talented to have so many fans and be so popular.

Ah...touche.
biggrin.gif

Actually, I do respect N'Sync in certain ways. They work hard...I could never do dance routines like theirs! *lol*
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Who's getting whacky? It's all good in here, although I kind of spaced on the collaboration idea. I don't see it happening. I agree they are two great bands, but they are so different I can't imagine a collaboration. But stranger things have happened...David Bowie and Bing Crosby come to mind (which is a lot weirder than Bono and Sinatra!).
smile.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I don't know where you got this from, but Dave lived mostly in South Africa and Cambridge, England with his family (his birth family, I mean) and then when they settled in Charlottesville, VA, that is where he met his current bandmates--in C'ville and the surrounding Virginia music scene.

LOl yeah I heard that he travelled all over the world, notably Africa, to find the best musicians to make up his band. I really can't remember where I heard that.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
some of Dave's shallow and nonsensical lyrics
wink.gif

yeah, they still dont do much for me lyrically! No depth that I like to explore.
*shrug* i'm just someone who never be a dmb fan!

------------------
I'm honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion

There's this remix of The Space Between by Dj Tiesto. It is completely amazing. listen to it now.

Steve Lillywhite must like them enough to have produced three albums and an unreleased 4th.

I heard the VA bartending story. The story where he goes around the world searching for the best musicians sounds funny and more unlikely.

DMB has great lyrics for a lot of songs and crappy ones for others... not any different from ant other band. To be honest shallow doesn't always come to mind. He writes some "happy" songs but that shouldn't make a song shallow.

Dave Matthews' voice can either be a love- hate thing. Personally I enjoy it and a lot of times I view at as another instrument in terms of the way he sings.

Generalizing about DMB fans is just as bad as me generalizing about U2 fans. Not real cool IMO.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 04-20-2002).]

yeah, they still dont do much for me lyrically! No depth that I like to explore.
*shrug* i'm just someone who never be a dmb fan!

He just ain't your thing, girl. That's ok.
smile.gif

I like DMB and have a few albums and have been to one show. I plan to see them this summer too. But they are not, in my opinion on the same level as U2. What I'm most surprised is how many of these 17-21 year old fans of DMB know so little about U2. I mean, just look at U2s body of work before DMB was even a band!
Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing the Lillywhite sessions since, from what I hear from the zealots, its what they should have released instead of Everyday. But I think Everyday is great as well.

Thanks DiGi--I think it will be great
smile.gif
, especially since it's such a small venue (6,000 seats plus lawn area for 6,000...pretty intimate compared to the arenas they easily sell out).

I'm also looking forward to hearing the Lillywhite sessions...I don't care for Everyday at all (love the single, but not the album) so it'll be interesting to hear the other stuff.

I like many DMB songs, but never bought any of their records and don't really consider myself a "fan." However, I have never understand the hostility that many U2 fans have against this band. They're very talented musicians, Dave's voice is unusual, but I have never minded that in singers, as long as they sound sincere and the words they're singing aren't utter crap (see: Billy Corgan, Thom Yorke, Eddie Vedder, Bjork, etc). But of course, if you don't like the sound of something, you just don't like it, end of story. At the same time though, that doesn't mean they "suck," it just means you don't like them. As far as the lyrical content, at times Dave seems like he's trying too hard and throws a few too many cliches in the songs. Bono has written some crap lyrics in his day, too.

------------------
icon15.gif

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 04-20-2002).]

i still think DMB sucks yeaty balls.
their songs would even put my grand pa to sleep.
dum aSS band what kind of name is that any way.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

Originally posted by shaun vox:
i still think DMB sucks yeaty balls.
their songs would even put my grand pa to sleep.
dum aSS band what kind of name is that any way.

Boy, what an intelligent, well thought out opinion that is.
rolleyes.gif

dude what is there to think i dont like them thats it.ok

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

DMB is a fine band. Unfortunately most people make the mistake of judging their whole body of work based on a few songs they here on the radio. As many of you know, this is unfair for most bands. Some of DMB best work are album tracks. Good stuff IMO.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Back
Top Bottom