DJs trash Martin, Coldplay, and Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilac

The Fly
I just heard it on the morning show. They were really put out that Chris Martin should come over here and tell us how to vote. Then they brought Bono into it. These were some of their comments:

"What's with the British guy? Don't tell me who to vote for :madspit: (raspberry on air) What's up with him?"

"Yeah, it's bad enough we got Bono over there in Ireland tellin' us to forgive everyone's debts, now this."

"I don't want to hear him lecture me on politics. He can kiss my ass." (meaning Martin, not Bono) "Hey, SHUT YOUR *bleep* HOLE!"

"It's a wonder more people don't kill themselves to Coldplay's music. I'm serious- you want to do it, you want a good reason to take yourself out, here, put this on. You'll do it faster."
(laughter of both guys and girl)

They also called Chris Martin a 'homo' and commented on the weird, unattractive looks of the band and their producer, and suggested Martin see a cosmetic dentist right away. There's more but I can't remember it.

BTW, this was over his comment that he dedicated his win to Johnny Cash and John Kerry and said he hoped he'd be our next pres.

It's guys like that that give Americans a bad name.
a really bad name.

As far as I can tell, British soldiers seem to die right alongside American soldiers. They're allowed to have an opinion of our president, and voice it.

They called Martin a 'Homo' and then commented on how ugly he is? I love irony when it is missed by the author.
I only say this because most hetero males do not even notice, let alone care what other men look like, not that gay men do consistently but if anyone is going to notice it would be females or a gay man who is interested in looks/and or Chris Martin as a rule....I hope that makes sense lol.

What kind of radio station is this?

Another classic misquote...I don't think he told you how to vote, i'm sure he said he hoped Kerry would be the next pres.

Sounds like these guys are just insecure little boys who need to pump up their own egos by insulting people's physical appearences...they probably make fat jokes too :shrug:

And I agree with LadyLemon...calling someone a homo is SO childish.

IMO, Chris Martin did nothing wrong with his Kerry remark...his wife is American and I'm sure his unborn child will at some point spend time in the US. I would fault him more for NOT caring who was elected President.

These guys are always annoying. I think what the thing is, the station is in a big Navy seaport city and they're really pro military, pro war, and pro Bush, and they always have that attitude, so it's not really surprising. If I name the station will they be inundated with rude emails?

I don't understand why radio stations employ the most idiotic, right-wing, jump-to-conclusion type people. I hear nothing but complaints, so how can radio stations continue to employ DJs that obviously aggravate people? :|

I can't decide what offends me more, the swipe at Jubilee, suicide , people who haven't had braces or orthodontics or what seems to be anger peppered with lots of swearing on air.
I can only hope they know it's not true and were bereft of other things to say.Shock jocks are popular unfortunately, as is cruel sarcasm and ignorance.

I have to catch up on the news. Did coldplay win a grammy?
:applaud:
**goes to the grammy thread**

Angela Harlem said:
They called Martin a 'Homo' and then commented on how ugly he is? I love irony when it is missed by the author.

^:lmao:

well someone had to make the Grammy's interesting. no one up until Chris dared to make a comment about politics. I am not surprised he made the comment, he is very anti-Bush. In my opinion, he had the right to make the comment because he is now married to an American but then again Gwyneth has stated they have no intentions of raising their child in the States :shrug: and I recall that really pissing off the Fox News people a few weeks ago. :laugh:

Chris may not be drop dead gorgeous, but in a very geeky and odd way he is attractive. :sexywink: I have to admit his teeth do bother me, it is like Letterman's gap, I wish he would just get braces to push them together. *this coming from a gal who had to wear Braces twice in her life and who thinks she needs them again! :angry:*

Last edited:
Which DJ's and what stations did they broadcast from? This is the first I'm hearing about this?

Oh yea, by the way, my first post at Interference!

Have A Beautiful Day! Don't let it get away!:wink:

Insulting the band's look is indirectly insulting their fans too, isn't it? (I mean, having bad taste or something)

Pathetic.
I don't see why people should not have an opinion on US politics, being Americans or not. (yes, Gwyneth said they'll raise the kid(s) in England.) It looks like John Kerry will be the Democrats' candidate anway, so what is the big deal?

so you agree with me that everyone who says they hate their boss should refuse to be paid their salary then :up:

U2girl said:
Insulting the band's look is indirectly insulting their fans too, isn't it? (I mean, having bad taste or something)

No, no, no, please. It has always bothered me when people take personal offense when you say you don't like their band/pics/sport, etc. It is no reflection on the person who likes it, no way! There is no such thing as 'bad taste' really, since we all have our own opinion on what we like and hate!

Shock Jocks' description of Chris Martin's looks :silent: :censored: ;)

Last edited:
Maybe these guys are just jealous of Chris because of Gwenyth. :wink:

Seriously, I'm with Headache - who cares what a couple of idiotic shock jocks think about either Chris or Bono? They aren't even smart enough to come up with intelligent insults!

the pretty and happy couple. :love:

chris&gwyneth.jpg

and a very pregnant and stylish gwyn

popgpaltrow.jpg

Last edited:
Tabby said:
If America is not good enough for him to raise his kid in he doesn't deserve to keep pumping us for $$$. I'm sick of people hating America but wanting to profit from it. :madspit:

Have they ever said it's not good enough? (I haven't read anything about this, so I don't know. This is an honest question.) People are allowed to have their own opinions about what kind of environment/culture they'd prefer to live in/have their children educated in. Feeling more comfortable in one place doesn't mean that you hate the other place and think everyone in it and everything in it is evil or crap. I would like for my children to be dual US/UK citizens, if only for the reason that, unlike me, they could live in whichever country they chose without a lot of hassle and decide for themselves where they feel more at home (obviously, when they're older...I'm not going to ship a five year-old off to the US or anything ;)). Stating that you prefer one place over another suggests that something is wrong with that place FOR YOU, not that something is fundamently bad about the place, and in this case (I'm assuming politics, education systems, health care), it's something can be changed. There's nothing anti-American about expressing your dissatisfaction with something and desire for change; in fact, I would argue that that's fundamentally American. Also remember that American citizens abroad have to pay US taxes on foreign-earned income over $80,000 (and so are DOUBLE taxed since they'd also be paying taxes in the country in which they reside) and are still elligible to vote in the US, so I think it's entirely appropriate for expats to be concerned with the US political situation.

meg, she said in an interview in vanity fair or vogue *can't remember which fashion mag it was* that she and Chris did not feel comfortable raising their kids in the states because the patriotism is out of control over here, and that the US has a superior feeling that we are #1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter. she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools. I find that part complete BS for a couple of reasons: 1. she and chris will not send their kid to a public school and 2. not every school and every kid in the US brings guns to school. I survived my public school education without seeing a single gun.

Last edited:
Justified said:
meg, she said in an interview in vanity fair or vogue *can't remember which fashion mag it was* that she and Chris did not feel comfortable raising their kids in the states because the patriotism is out of control over here, and that the US has a superior feeling that we are #1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter. she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools.

And all of those reasons are completely bogus and untrue? :huh: What's wrong with wanting your children to grow up in a calmer, safer environment?

Back to the topic, all Chris Martin said (from what I understand) is that he dedicated their award to Johnny Cash and John Kerry and he said he hopes Kerry is the next US president. AFAIK none of that is forbidden just yet, nor was it telling anyone how to vote.

*edit* I thought DJs were out of line with their comments, also sending a kid to a public school might be a good choice - why would Gwyneth be talking about it, if they don't plan to do it? - as opposed to a private school to raise him more down-to-earth kind of way.
I would also think times have changed since your generation went to school, I don't think Colombines happened back then.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

And all of those reasons are completely bogus and untrue? :rolleyes: What's wrong with wanting your children to grow up in a calmer, safer environment?

hey nothing is wrong with that. i too would like for my future children to be raised in a safe environment. i was just stating what was written from an interview with her that is all. her comments pissed off the very conservative fox news here and it made me laugh because they were slamming her for her decisions.

read on:
[q]
The Foxlight: Traitor Gwyneth

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

By Bill McCuddy

NEW YORK ? Gwyneth Paltrow (search) is "Shakespeare Outta Love" with America.

And "blimey" ? saying her homeland is too dangerous and has a "weird, over-patriotic atmosphere," she's raising her new baby in London. The Oscar-winning actress lives there with her husband, Brit Chris Martin (search) of Coldplay.

Did Madonna (search) have anything to do with this?

Paltrow says, "I worry about bringing up a child in America. At the moment there's a weird, over-patriotic atmosphere over there, like, 'We're No. 1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter.'"

No. 1 is certainly something Paltrow hasn't seen at the box office in quite a while. Her alleged comedy, "View From the Top," was a huge bomb last year.

And her recent portrayal of Sylvia Plath in the downbeat "Sylvia" failed to excite audiences or get award nominations from the Golden Globes or Screen Actors Guild.

Is she living in exile?

"It's pretty amazing how the anti-American sentiment is in a lot of ways," she says of the U.K. "They call Tony Blair the vice president."

All of this according to the World Entertainment News Network. She also voiced concern about guns in American schools.

Paltrow did say she loves America and completely stands behind the country. She's just doing it from another one, I guess. Will all of this hurt her career? She'll have to resurrect it first, then we'll see.[/q]

Justified said:
she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools. I find that part complete BS for a couple of reasons: 1. she and chris will not send their kid to a public school and 2. not every school and every kid in the US brings guns to school. I survived my public school education without seeing a single gun.

Okay, now that IS ridiculous. Anything else about the education system/culture I could accept, and the fear of increasing xenophobia and uber-patriotism make sense to me, but for them to use school violence as their reason is just a BIT implausible. It's not like they're going to be living in Compton or anything. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom