DJs trash Martin, Coldplay, and Bono - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Hahahahaha, nice Headache.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
[B]They called Martin a 'Homo' and then commented on how ugly he is? I love irony when it is missed by the author.
[B]
^

well someone had to make the Grammy's interesting. no one up until Chris dared to make a comment about politics. I am not surprised he made the comment, he is very anti-Bush. In my opinion, he had the right to make the comment because he is now married to an American but then again Gwyneth has stated they have no intentions of raising their child in the States and I recall that really pissing off the Fox News people a few weeks ago.

Chris may not be drop dead gorgeous, but in a very geeky and odd way he is attractive. I have to admit his teeth do bother me, it is like Letterman's gap, I wish he would just get braces to push them together. *this coming from a gal who had to wear Braces twice in her life and who thinks she needs them again! *

Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Which DJ's and what stations did they broadcast from? This is the first I'm hearing about this?

Oh yea, by the way, my first post at Interference!

Have A Beautiful Day! Don't let it get away!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Insulting the band's look is indirectly insulting their fans too, isn't it? (I mean, having bad taste or something)

Pathetic.
I don't see why people should not have an opinion on US politics, being Americans or not. (yes, Gwyneth said they'll raise the kid(s) in England.) It looks like John Kerry will be the Democrats' candidate anway, so what is the big deal?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 AM
If America is not good enough for him to raise his kid in he doesn't deserve to keep pumping us for $$$. I'm sick of people hating America but wanting to profit from it.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #21
you are what you is

so you agree with me that everyone who says they hate their boss should refuse to be paid their salary then
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-11-2004, 05:44 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Insulting the band's look is indirectly insulting their fans too, isn't it? (I mean, having bad taste or something)

No, no, no, please. It has always bothered me when people take personal offense when you say you don't like their band/pics/sport, etc. It is no reflection on the person who likes it, no way! There is no such thing as 'bad taste' really, since we all have our own opinion on what we like and hate!

Shock Jocks' description of Chris Martin's looks
Old 02-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Maybe these guys are just jealous of Chris because of Gwenyth.

Seriously, I'm with Headache - who cares what a couple of idiotic shock jocks think about either Chris or Bono? They aren't even smart enough to come up with intelligent insults!
Old 02-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #24
Refugee

the pretty and happy couple.

and a very pregnant and stylish gwyn

Old 02-16-2004, 06:06 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tabby
If America is not good enough for him to raise his kid in he doesn't deserve to keep pumping us for $$$. I'm sick of people hating America but wanting to profit from it.
Have they ever said it's not good enough? (I haven't read anything about this, so I don't know. This is an honest question.) People are allowed to have their own opinions about what kind of environment/culture they'd prefer to live in/have their children educated in. Feeling more comfortable in one place doesn't mean that you hate the other place and think everyone in it and everything in it is evil or crap. I would like for my children to be dual US/UK citizens, if only for the reason that, unlike me, they could live in whichever country they chose without a lot of hassle and decide for themselves where they feel more at home (obviously, when they're older...I'm not going to ship a five year-old off to the US or anything ). Stating that you prefer one place over another suggests that something is wrong with that place FOR YOU, not that something is fundamently bad about the place, and in this case (I'm assuming politics, education systems, health care), it's something can be changed. There's nothing anti-American about expressing your dissatisfaction with something and desire for change; in fact, I would argue that that's fundamentally American. Also remember that American citizens abroad have to pay US taxes on foreign-earned income over $80,000 (and so are DOUBLE taxed since they'd also be paying taxes in the country in which they reside) and are still elligible to vote in the US, so I think it's entirely appropriate for expats to be concerned with the US political situation.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #26
Refugee

meg, she said in an interview in vanity fair or vogue *can't remember which fashion mag it was* that she and Chris did not feel comfortable raising their kids in the states because the patriotism is out of control over here, and that the US has a superior feeling that we are #1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter. she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools. I find that part complete BS for a couple of reasons: 1. she and chris will not send their kid to a public school and 2. not every school and every kid in the US brings guns to school. I survived my public school education without seeing a single gun.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

seriously though...like they were planning to send their kids to public schools ANYWHERE?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justified
meg, she said in an interview in vanity fair or vogue *can't remember which fashion mag it was* that she and Chris did not feel comfortable raising their kids in the states because the patriotism is out of control over here, and that the US has a superior feeling that we are #1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter. she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools.
And all of those reasons are completely bogus and untrue? What's wrong with wanting your children to grow up in a calmer, safer environment?

Back to the topic, all Chris Martin said (from what I understand) is that he dedicated their award to Johnny Cash and John Kerry and he said he hopes Kerry is the next US president. AFAIK none of that is forbidden just yet, nor was it telling anyone how to vote.

*edit* I thought DJs were out of line with their comments, also sending a kid to a public school might be a good choice - why would Gwyneth be talking about it, if they don't plan to do it? - as opposed to a private school to raise him more down-to-earth kind of way.
I would also think times have changed since your generation went to school, I don't think Colombines happened back then.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

And all of those reasons are completely bogus and untrue? What's wrong with wanting your children to grow up in a calmer, safer environment?
hey nothing is wrong with that. i too would like for my future children to be raised in a safe environment. i was just stating what was written from an interview with her that is all. her comments pissed off the very conservative fox news here and it made me laugh because they were slamming her for her decisions.

read on:
[q]
The Foxlight: Traitor Gwyneth

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

By Bill McCuddy

NEW YORK Gwyneth Paltrow (search) is "Shakespeare Outta Love" with America.

And "blimey" saying her homeland is too dangerous and has a "weird, over-patriotic atmosphere," she's raising her new baby in London. The Oscar-winning actress lives there with her husband, Brit Chris Martin (search) of Coldplay.

Did Madonna (search) have anything to do with this?

Paltrow says, "I worry about bringing up a child in America. At the moment there's a weird, over-patriotic atmosphere over there, like, 'We're No. 1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter.'"

No. 1 is certainly something Paltrow hasn't seen at the box office in quite a while. Her alleged comedy, "View From the Top," was a huge bomb last year.

And her recent portrayal of Sylvia Plath in the downbeat "Sylvia" failed to excite audiences or get award nominations from the Golden Globes or Screen Actors Guild.

Is she living in exile?

"It's pretty amazing how the anti-American sentiment is in a lot of ways," she says of the U.K. "They call Tony Blair the vice president."

All of this according to the World Entertainment News Network. She also voiced concern about guns in American schools.

Paltrow did say she loves America and completely stands behind the country. She's just doing it from another one, I guess. Will all of this hurt her career? She'll have to resurrect it first, then we'll see.[/q]
Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justified
she also said that she does not like that kids are bringing guns to public schools. I find that part complete BS for a couple of reasons: 1. she and chris will not send their kid to a public school and 2. not every school and every kid in the US brings guns to school. I survived my public school education without seeing a single gun.
Okay, now that IS ridiculous. Anything else about the education system/culture I could accept, and the fear of increasing xenophobia and uber-patriotism make sense to me, but for them to use school violence as their reason is just a BIT implausible. It's not like they're going to be living in Compton or anything.

Tags
bono, chris martin, coldplay