Dixie Chicks pose nekkid in response to criticism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Dixie Chicks Pose Nude in Answer to Critics
Thu Apr 24, 1:23 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The three women of country music band the Dixie Chicks (news - web sites) pose nude on the cover of a weekly showbiz magazine in a defiant answer to a backlash over their opposition to the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

Entertainment Weekly on Thursday released next week's cover in which the Grammy-winning performers wear only contradictory slogans painted on their bodies, including "Traitors," "Saddam's Angels," "Dixie Sluts," and "Proud Americans."

"We don't want people to think that we are trying to be provocative. It's not about the nakedness," band member Martie Maguire said in an accompanying interview with the magazine. "It's about clothes getting in the way of labels."

Maguire and fellow musicians Emily Robison and Natalie Maines (news) said they posed nude in response to the controversy created by pro-war advocates over Maines' remark at a concert in London on March 10 that they were "ashamed" President Bush (news - web sites) was from their home state of Texas.

Maguire told the magazine Maines also said in introducing the song "Travelin' Soldier" in London that it was neither a pro-war nor a peace song. She said Maines' bandmate Robison took the microphone immediately after the comment about Bush and said, "But you know we support the troops 100 percent."

Within days of the comment being published, Maines apologized, but many U.S. country music radio stations all but banished Dixie Chicks hits from the airwaves, some fans smashed their CDs and sales plummeted. Trash was dumped outside Robison's house.

DEATH THREATS

Maines said in a separate ABC TV "Primetime" interview to air on Thursday night that the band members feared for their lives amid criticism they say was "out of control."

She told ABC's Diane Sawyer she criticized Bush out of frustration and remained "passionate" in her anti-war views, even if she now regretted the remark. ABC released a transcript of the interview on Wednesday.

"At that moment, on the eve of war, I had a lot of questions that I felt were unanswered," Maines told ABC. "I think the way I said it was disrespectful. The wording I used, the way I said it, that was disrespectful. I feel regret for, you know, the choice of words. Am I sorry that I asked questions and that I don't just follow? No."

Maines, who was interviewed with Maguire and Robison, said despite telling the London audience she was "ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas," she did not feel that way.

"No, I'm not truly embarrassed that, you know, President Bush is from my state, that's not really what I care about," she said. "I felt like there was a lack of compassion every time I saw Bush talking about this. I honestly felt a lack of compassion for people that are questioning this (war), for the people that are about to die for this on both sides."

Maguire said she understood why some fans would be upset by the remark but found much of the reaction to be disproportionate.

mdf263141.jpg

Yep - get naked girls. That'll shut them up. :rolleyes: I could care less what their opinions are. Why they got naked to clarify their statements, I'll never know.

Yup. Posing naked is always the way to solve your problems whether it be a failing career, political opinion, or religious stance.

I mean, come on....:rolleyes:

I don't know what posing naked will do for them, but all the backlash against them is asinine.

I don't think they deserve all the criticism they are getting, but somehow I don't feel like that cover is going to help things much.

well, I didn't have a problem with them before
but this has convinced never to see them live

They look better clothed and not airbrushed.

Yeah, I don't get this. I don't have a problem with them either, but this is just dumb.

the whole thing is rediculous. if you arent allowed to speak your mind about the president, you dont have freedom of speech. its that simple. and because this is the stem of the entire problem, i dont blame them for anything.

I dont blame them for anything but I wonder if they are going to start performing naked now bc of how they want to state that its not about the clothes its about the people??? :down: gah!

Zoomerang96 said:
the whole thing is rediculous. if you arent allowed to speak your mind about the president, you dont have freedom of speech. its that simple. and because this is the stem of the entire problem, i dont blame them for anything.

The right of free speech is not the right to an agreeing audience.

Their rights have not be impinged - they can milk this for as long as they want.

HelloAngel said:
Yep - get naked girls. That'll shut them up. :rolleyes: I could care less what their opinions are. Why they got naked to clarify their statements, I'll never know.

I agree.

they should've included the statement "our cover of landslide sucked ass" as one of the tatoos.

i don't think most of you are their target audience.

beer drinkin', pickup drivin', good ol' boys will like nekkid girlies

yessiree, bet my gun rack on that!

I'm glad the Chicks are sticking up for themselves. The backlash against them is way out of proportion, even if they do have a conservative fan base. It's not like they said they were devil-worshippers. All they said was they were ashamed Bush is from Texas. What's the big deal?

Posing naked on the cover is a bad idea though. It just looks like a desperate attempt to get attention.

Bono's shades said:
I'm glad the Chicks are sticking up for themselves. The backlash against them is way out of proportion, even if they do have a conservative fan base. It's not like they said they were devil-worshippers. All they said was they were ashamed Bush is from Texas. What's the big deal?

Posing naked on the cover is a bad idea though. It just looks like a desperate attempt to get attention.

:up:

Whatever, Im sick of thier whiny plea for more free speach, Im all for freedoms, but with the issues at hand (war, lives lost) I think its the wrong time to be outspoken.........just my 2 cents.

this whole situation sickens me. the same people that were condeming the dixie chicks for being unpatriotic spent their time calling in radio talkshows, smashing their cds and threatning harm on these women and their familes instead of doing and saying positive things for the troops that are risking their lives for these peoples freedom.

i think these people need to grow up. everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it's the popular one or not. and i highly doubt that john smith in texas would be getting death threats against him and his family and having his property vandilized if he said the same thing as natalie. just cause their celebrities doesn't mean that their opinion should carry more weight or more consequences then anyone elses.

what she said wasn't the smartest thing she could have done but it's done and over with and people have to move on. i highly doubt posing nude is going to help their case any but what do i know? :shrug:

sorry if this posts offend anyone here. it's just how i feel about the whole situation.

Well, I think it is very hypocritical for some of you to say that it is unfair the backlash they received when they were speaking their mind. You criticize those that were offended by their remarks. But isnt being offended by their statements and choosing not to purchase or listen to their music as a result free speech also? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including those who were offended by them.

My opinion is they said the wrong thing, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. Have your opinion and express your concerns but not in an offensive way in a foreign country when we are about to go to war. Another country artist said if perfectly. They have a right to do and say what they want. But I would like to see them say it at a concert at Texas Stadium. Somehow I dont think it would have been said there.

foray said:
May I say that I kinda like the gesture? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm neither amused nor disgusted. I just like it. I am very uncool that way. :eek:

foray

Count me in on that. They were pretty harshly attacked. I think they have a right to speak out and defend what they said. I don't find that whiny at all. I think it's what we would all do if we were called traitors and told to shut up. And what's more is their livelihood is (ostensibly) being threatened because of their political views. You don't think they have a right to try to counteract that by clarifying their views and, as a nice side effect, staying in the public eye?

Also, and I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure they're record sales didn't drop very much, so I don't think this can't be boiled down to a desperate attempt for attention. Isn't it possible that they're actually trying to say something with this? The "nakedness" symbolism may be a little heavy-handed, but I don't think this reeks of desperation and attention-mongering in the way some of you seem to.

Just my 2 cents.

they buried themselves in the Diane Sawyer interview this evening.
Natalie especially.
Pathetically funny.

DB9

Actually, they did not sell out.

Springsteen came to their defense.

Dianne Sawyer was trying to get them to flip-flop and they would not do it.

Perhaps this thread should be in Free Your Mind. At least it would save Diamond the irksome trip over here to contribute.

Blue Room said:
Well, I think it is very hypocritical for some of you to say that it is unfair the backlash they received when they were speaking their mind. You criticize those that were offended by their remarks. But isnt being offended by their statements and choosing not to purchase or listen to their music as a result free speech also? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including those who were offended by them.

My opinion is they said the wrong thing, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. Have your opinion and express your concerns but not in an offensive way in a foreign country when we are about to go to war. Another country artist said if perfectly. They have a right to do and say what they want. But I would like to see them say it at a concert at Texas Stadium. Somehow I dont think it would have been said there.
My sentiments exactly.

And the naked cover and Diane Sawyer interview are just marketing ploys. Actually they've gotten far more press out of the Bush comments than they would ever get out of lame cover songs, so in the long run they'll likely benefit once the war hoopla is past.

Back
Top Bottom