Dixie Chicks pose nekkid in response to criticism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:29 PM
they should've included the statement "our cover of landslide sucked ass" as one of the tatoos.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
i don't think most of you are their target audience.

beer drinkin', pickup drivin', good ol' boys will like nekkid girlies

yessiree, bet my gun rack on that!

Old 04-24-2003, 08:43 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
They look better clothed and not airbrushed.
They're airbrushed????

Old 04-24-2003, 09:00 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I'm glad the Chicks are sticking up for themselves. The backlash against them is way out of proportion, even if they do have a conservative fan base. It's not like they said they were devil-worshippers. All they said was they were ashamed Bush is from Texas. What's the big deal?

Posing naked on the cover is a bad idea though. It just looks like a desperate attempt to get attention.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:03 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I'm glad the Chicks are sticking up for themselves. The backlash against them is way out of proportion, even if they do have a conservative fan base. It's not like they said they were devil-worshippers. All they said was they were ashamed Bush is from Texas. What's the big deal?

Posing naked on the cover is a bad idea though. It just looks like a desperate attempt to get attention.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:26 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Whatever, Im sick of thier whiny plea for more free speach, Im all for freedoms, but with the issues at hand (war, lives lost) I think its the wrong time to be outspoken.........just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:39 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:29 AM
May I say that I kinda like the gesture?

I'm neither amused nor disgusted. I just like it. I am very uncool that way.

foray
Old 04-24-2003, 11:11 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 10:29 AM
this whole situation sickens me. the same people that were condeming the dixie chicks for being unpatriotic spent their time calling in radio talkshows, smashing their cds and threatning harm on these women and their familes instead of doing and saying positive things for the troops that are risking their lives for these peoples freedom.

i think these people need to grow up. everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it's the popular one or not. and i highly doubt that john smith in texas would be getting death threats against him and his family and having his property vandilized if he said the same thing as natalie. just cause their celebrities doesn't mean that their opinion should carry more weight or more consequences then anyone elses.

what she said wasn't the smartest thing she could have done but it's done and over with and people have to move on. i highly doubt posing nude is going to help their case any but what do i know?

sorry if this posts offend anyone here. it's just how i feel about the whole situation.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:39 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
i agree with Zoomerang and Bono's Shades
Old 04-24-2003, 11:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, I think it is very hypocritical for some of you to say that it is unfair the backlash they received when they were speaking their mind. You criticize those that were offended by their remarks. But isnt being offended by their statements and choosing not to purchase or listen to their music as a result free speech also? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including those who were offended by them.

My opinion is they said the wrong thing, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. Have your opinion and express your concerns but not in an offensive way in a foreign country when we are about to go to war. Another country artist said if perfectly. They have a right to do and say what they want. But I would like to see them say it at a concert at Texas Stadium. Somehow I dont think it would have been said there.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:04 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
May I say that I kinda like the gesture?

I'm neither amused nor disgusted. I just like it. I am very uncool that way.

foray
Count me in on that. They were pretty harshly attacked. I think they have a right to speak out and defend what they said. I don't find that whiny at all. I think it's what we would all do if we were called traitors and told to shut up. And what's more is their livelihood is (ostensibly) being threatened because of their political views. You don't think they have a right to try to counteract that by clarifying their views and, as a nice side effect, staying in the public eye?

Also, and I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure they're record sales didn't drop very much, so I don't think this can't be boiled down to a desperate attempt for attention. Isn't it possible that they're actually trying to say something with this? The "nakedness" symbolism may be a little heavy-handed, but I don't think this reeks of desperation and attention-mongering in the way some of you seem to.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:05 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:29 AM
they buried themselves in the Diane Sawyer interview this evening.
Natalie especially.
Pathetically funny.

DB9
Old 04-25-2003, 02:47 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Actually, they did not sell out.

Springsteen came to their defense.

Dianne Sawyer was trying to get them to flip-flop and they would not do it.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:54 AM   #29
The Fly

Perhaps this thread should be in Free Your Mind. At least it would save Diamond the irksome trip over here to contribute.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:49 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room
Well, I think it is very hypocritical for some of you to say that it is unfair the backlash they received when they were speaking their mind. You criticize those that were offended by their remarks. But isnt being offended by their statements and choosing not to purchase or listen to their music as a result free speech also? Everyone is entitled to their opinion including those who were offended by them.

My opinion is they said the wrong thing, at the wrong time, in the wrong place. Have your opinion and express your concerns but not in an offensive way in a foreign country when we are about to go to war. Another country artist said if perfectly. They have a right to do and say what they want. But I would like to see them say it at a concert at Texas Stadium. Somehow I dont think it would have been said there.
My sentiments exactly.

And the naked cover and Diane Sawyer interview are just marketing ploys. Actually they've gotten far more press out of the Bush comments than they would ever get out of lame cover songs, so in the long run they'll likely benefit once the war hoopla is past.