Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
Local Time: 02:42 AM

DISTURBED frontman David Draiman has slammed THE DARKNESS as "a joke" and has taken issue with the British rock band's characterization of DISTURBED as a band that symbolizes "this whole wave of nu-metal that is near its death."

Speaking to Metal Edge magazine for its May 2004 issue, Draiman said, "To be perfectly honest with you, I think that THE DARKNESS is a joke, and that's, unfortunately, exactly what the world wants. The world wants rock bands to be idiots. The world wants rock bands to be these bumbling buffoons, these morons who made fun of themselves and their music and their art and don't take themselves seriously in any way. It's all supposed to be a joke. It's all supposed to be a joke. It's unfortunate. I think that there's always a time to be tongue-in-cheek, and there's always time for humor, but there's a time to be serious and a time for emotional content.

"And it's funny, I wouldn't even go ahead and say anything about them per se, unless they had already laid down the gauntlet. I heard of late that they have decided to start slinging shit in our direction, that we are an example of one of the bands that they're completely against. That to them, we symbolize this whole wave of nu-metal that is near its death. Are you fucking kidding me? The irony is that they opened up for us in London at Brixton Academy, and here they are talking shit about us. I like the (single). I have nothing against the song. I can't argue that it's (not) a catchy goddamn song, but it's not metal. It's pop-rock! How dare they call themselves metal? That's not metal! It'll never be metal!

"They're a great band. I have nothing against them. But don't claim to be something you're not. Don't claim to be metal. Don't claim that you're authentic and we're not. Fuck you! Who the hell do you think you are? You consider yourselves and you treat yourselves and you conduct yourselves like clowns. And I enjoy laughing, because it's funny and the music is catchy. I even enjoyed them when they opened for us, even though the crowd was booing them to high hell. They were ready to lynch them! We're not looking to pick fights with anybody. We respect everybody. We don't talk shit about anybody."

Since alot of you folks are Darkness fans I had to post just for the sake of instigating, muhahaha!
The Darkness indeed suck, and Disturbed's not much better. To think that Disturbed consider themeselves METAL is a JOKE. Just my opinion

Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Local Time: 04:42 AM
I may not be a Darkness connoisseur, but this disturbed fellow only succeeded in affirming both band's positions... disturbed overstates the obvious (I applaud this time for being less derivative), and the darkness make humor out of rock.

This was a waste of time for everyone Mr. Drman.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
you are what you is
Local Time: 12:42 PM
The Darkness always states that they're taking heir music very serious, unlike their image

I have no opinion on Disturbed
horrible band name though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
Local Time: 05:42 AM
I have never heard Darkness, but I'm sure it doesn't take much to be better than Disturbed.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:42 AM
I agree with him that the Darkness is a joke.

and it's not even a funny one.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Neither band is anything great, IMHO, but at least The Darkness have a sense of humor.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:42 AM
The darkness are the worst british band, in my opinion.

I followed their live show on TV ( the one they did in Milano, Italy) recently and it sucked.

The singers voice is repelling. However he is a very good guitar player though
Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 06:42 AM
disturbed are still around? drainman needs to stick his pointy head under a train already.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:42 AM
I don't think The Darkness take themselves too seriously
Old 03-17-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:42 AM
The Darkness > Disturbed

'nuff said...