Distant Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
(by the late Crowded House) is possibly the second-best song of the first half of the 90's. Not kidding.

Any thoughts?

Well they sure seem popular in Sydney.

img0077.jpg

Yeah, I might agree with you there. Distant Sun is an amazing song by an incredible band. Do you like Neil Finn's solo work? It's as brilliant as Crowded House or more so.

But what's the best song?

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Yeah, I might agree with you there. Distant Sun is an amazing song by an incredible band. Do you like Neil Finn's solo work? It's as brilliant as Crowded House or more so.

But what's the best song?

When they go into that choral vocal/guitar thing at the end, my heart just stops.

Neil Finn's solo work is excellent, particularly Try Whistling This and the virtually forgotten (kind-of solo) Finn record with his brother Tim. One Nil is a bit ho-hum IMO, but still some fine tunes.

The last Crowded House album was their best by a mile. Not just Distant Sun, other fine songs such as Catherine Wheels, Private Universe, etc etc.

What's the best song? Oh that would be a tie between several. Perhaps Until The End of the World (U2), Lemon (U2), Unfinished Sympathy (Massive Attack), Roads (Portishead) to name a few. Just to be perverse. I'm talking here of personal favourites, not what may have been most influential or whatever. Grunge kinda passed me by.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:

The last Crowded House album was their best by a mile. Not just Distant Sun, other fine songs such as Catherine Wheels, Private Universe, etc etc.

Oh, I agree. Those two songs you mentioned are so amazing, and Nails in My Feet is so incredible, and...wow.

I actually got into Try Whistling This more easily, but now I seem to love One Nil more. I bought them at almost the same time. The last three songs on One Nil must be one of the most perfect pop trilogies ever.

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

Oh, I agree. Those two songs you mentioned are so amazing, and Nails in My Feet is so incredible, and...wow.

I actually got into Try Whistling This more easily, but now I seem to love One Nil more. I bought them at almost the same time. The last three songs on One Nil must be one of the most perfect pop trilogies ever.

Like I say One Nil does have some fine tunes. Into the Sunset is pretty gorgeous.

But I can't get over Together Alone. And the funny part is, most of the earlier Crowded House material leaves me a bit cold. In fact I fucking despise Something So Strong. Ghastly production, ghastly tune, and wouldn't you know, it was co-written with the producer.

I recently got their Greatest Hits CD, and it's wonderful, but I was upset that Nails In My Feet wasn't on it.

Kieran, what do you think of Hunters and Collectors? I was gonna say that Throw Your Arms Around Me was the best song of the 90's but then remembered it was only re-releaesed in 1990, original single was 86. As far as 2 bands go, that are fairly matched in style, I'd always say H&C are the better band. I loved Distant Sun, and many of CH's work. But H&C just shine. And they only got better. Crowded House seemed to waiver in their quality.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Kieran, what do you think of Hunters and Collectors? I was gonna say that Throw Your Arms Around Me was the best song of the 90's but then remembered it was only re-releaesed in 1990, original single was 86. As far as 2 bands go, that are fairly matched in style, I'd always say H&C are the better band. I loved Distant Sun, and many of CH's work. But H&C just shine. And they only got better. Crowded House seemed to waiver in their quality.

Well, IMO if Crowded House wavered in their quality it was in the sense of going from a pretty ordinary pop band around 1985 to something quite extraordinary towards the finish.

Yeah, I like Hunters & Collectors, but don't really know enough to give a definitive opinion. Critics seemed to think they lost it towards the end, but I dunno. One song I absolutely adore is (hope title is correct) "True Tears of Joy". The album "Human Frailty" is very good, but the production of the time puts me off a bit. They were a bit of an extended family themselves, what with the horn section and all.

------------------
"...and then Dinnsdale really got angry, and he nailed my head to the floor."

"He nailed your head to the floor?"

"At first, yeah."

Back
Top Bottom