Disneyland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just paid a visit to Rest Of U2 Survivor and I really don't understand the popularity of Deep In The Heart or Walk To The Water.

PFan, you'll be voting Deep In The Heart next, right? I can't decide between it or WTTW, but I'd be happy to go DITH to get the numbers to kick one of them out rather than dividing effort between two songs.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm giving your playlist a second spin at the moment.

That's cool.

I shouldn't be irked about people criticizing about my list; if that were the case, I wouldn't have done this again. I definitely agree that I rely too heavily on songs from films, but I really latch onto those songs, you know? I don't know what it is, but they really connect with me. I put together a list that I'm proud of and like, maybe not as much as the other 3, but still dig. It doesn't rely on a concept because I could only think of half-assed ones that would pale to the awesome ones that people like Screwtape, Phanan, Ax, or L-Mel would deliver, just to name a few. I'm not going into this to be the "Guy People Vote for Because They Already Know and Like the Songs," maybe they do, maybe they don't, who knows?

I hope I didn't come off as too oversensitive or whiny, just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

Bowie's version is a cover too.

Who did it originally?

I'm enjoying it. Not the best song here, I definitely prefer the title track and Stay and probably TVC 15, but it's sung well and I like the guitar.

Axver said:
Just paid a visit to Rest Of U2 Survivor and I really don't understand the popularity of Deep In The Heart or Walk To The Water.

PFan, you'll be voting Deep In The Heart next, right? I can't decide between it or WTTW, but I'd be happy to go DITH to get the numbers to kick one of them out rather than dividing effort between two songs.

Deep in the Heart next.

Screwtape2 said:

See I have never been able to get into Cat Power.

I like a few of her tracks, but I'm not a huge fan.

phillyfan26 said:

Bowie's version is a cover too.

I actually really enjoy it. I think I prefer it to both Word on a Wing and Golden Years.

Really now?

Word on a Wing is pretty good. Golden Years is fun, but I kind of think of it as Young Americans' lesser kid brother.

Axver said:

Leave Walk To The Water alone. :wink:

Well, I think I enjoyed Station To Station the most out of the three Bowie albums I've heard so far. The title track's definitely my favourite song by him.

Now to listen to the Bowie song CIB linked to.

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's cool.

I shouldn't be irked about people criticizing about my list; if that were the case, I wouldn't have done this again. I definitely agree that I rely too heavily on songs from films, but I really latch onto those songs, you know? I don't know what it is, but they really connect with me. I put together a list that I'm proud of and like, maybe not as much as the other 3, but still dig. It doesn't rely on a concept because I could only think of half-assed ones that would pale to the awesome ones that people like Screwtape, Phanan, Ax, or L-Mel would deliver, just to name a few. I'm not going into this to be the "Guy People Vote for Because They Already Know and Like the Songs," maybe they do, maybe they don't, who knows?

I hope I didn't come off as too oversensitive or whiny, just had to get that off my chest.

I like it better the second time. I think the lack of concept does hurt it, though I think that can often be made up for by a strong ending. I just think your list didn't really have that. I made a similar observation on LeMel's list with the lack of a strong ending.

I don't care at all about the soundtrack thing.

Axver said:
Who did it originally?

I'm enjoying it. Not the best song here, I definitely prefer the title track and Stay and probably TVC 15, but it's sung well and I like the guitar.

Not sure. The original was from a 1957 film of the same name, and won an Academy Award.

Wikipedia says: Johnny Mathis performed that original version.

Screwtape2 said:

More than Low? Wow. Didn't expect that.

Most of the songs on the first half of Low are too short and don't realise what they should be.

The second half has amazing atmosphere, but that's not enough to push the album past Station To Station.

phillyfan26 said:

I like it better the second time. I think the lack of concept does hurt it, though I think that can often be made up for by a strong ending. I just think your list didn't really have that. I made a similar observation on LeMel's list with the lack of a strong ending.

I don't care at all about the soundtrack thing.

It peaks in the middle third, right?

I felt the same about his list, too, but I still really dug it, not as much as the last one though. I forgot to thank him for putting that Todd Rundgren song on his last list, I used it in the Valentine's disc for My Lady Friend.

Axver said:
Well, I think I enjoyed Station To Station the most out of the three Bowie albums I've heard so far. The title track's definitely my favourite song by him.

Now to listen to the Bowie song CIB linked to.

Look who's becoming a little Bowie fan. :cute:

I think you need to re-listen to Ziggy. If your thoughts improve on that, you should listen to Aladdin Sane. It's actually more up your alley because it's more of a heavy guitar record, especially Cracked Actor.

Cute Irish Bono said:

I don't know the Pink Floyd Sorrow song.

Please listen to it on my playlist and tell me what you think of Bowie's version. Better yet, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDVc80Z3FI
(It's only 3:00 minutes long).

Do you like it, Axver?

I'm not quite sure what I make of it. Feels perhaps a bit too ... I don't know, pop-y for me.

The video brings the lulz though, that's for sure.

Ax, you should dive headfirst into Labyrinth. I think you'd love the synth and Muppet combination.

phillyfan26 said:

Look who's becoming a little Bowie fan. :cute:

I think you need to re-listen to Ziggy. If your thoughts improve on that, you should listen to Aladdin Sane. It's actually more up your alley because it's more of a heavy guitar record, especially Cracked Actor.

:lol: Don't worry, I'll get you into PT.

Just as soon as I decide what should go in the conversion pack.

LemonMacPhisto said:

It peaks in the middle third, right?

I felt the same about his list, too, but I still really dug it, not as much as the last one though. I forgot to thank him for putting that Todd Rundgren song on his last list, I used it in the Valentine's disc for My Lady Friend.

Any third with Moonage Daydream is the peaking third. Rule of thumb.

Your list is dig-worthy, definitely. The funky opening worked for me, and I'm not much of a fan of R&B/funk/hip hop ETC.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Ax, you should dive headfirst into Labyrinth. I think you'd love the synth and Muppet combination.

One of my favorite Bowie quotes came from you:

"Only David Bowie could do a movie with Muppets and have no one question it."

RavenBlue said:
I enjoy Deep In The Heart more than Walk To The Water.. I've never been able to get into that b-side

I don't know what Screwtape sees in WTTW, really. It ... twinkles too much, musically. That's the one thing that really sticks in my head about it.

phillyfan26 said:

Any third with Moonage Daydream is the peaking third. Rule of thumb.

Your list is dig-worthy, definitely. The funky opening worked for me, and I'm not much of a fan of R&B/funk/hip hop ETC.

Thanks.

That's one group of music that gets pretty left out of this competition, I think.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Synths?

Muppets?

Excuse me while I back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

I bought Diamond Dogs today. All I have to say is:

This isn't rock 'n' roll! THIS IS GENOCIDE!

LemonMacPhisto said:
That's one group of music that gets pretty left out of this competition, I think.

And for good reason. PFan's ska-punk song is musical genius in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom