Disneyland Superthread - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #181
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Just paid a visit to Rest Of U2 Survivor and I really don't understand the popularity of Deep In The Heart or Walk To The Water.

PFan, you'll be voting Deep In The Heart next, right? I can't decide between it or WTTW, but I'd be happy to go DITH to get the numbers to kick one of them out rather than dividing effort between two songs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It's kind of a mix, in some ways. Skepticism of God while at the same time asking for help from God. He said he wrote it at the only time in his life when he was actually thinking deeply about God.
Which song is this?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #183
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:

I'm giving your playlist a second spin at the moment.
That's cool.

I shouldn't be irked about people criticizing about my list; if that were the case, I wouldn't have done this again. I definitely agree that I rely too heavily on songs from films, but I really latch onto those songs, you know? I don't know what it is, but they really connect with me. I put together a list that I'm proud of and like, maybe not as much as the other 3, but still dig. It doesn't rely on a concept because I could only think of half-assed ones that would pale to the awesome ones that people like Screwtape, Phanan, Ax, or L-Mel would deliver, just to name a few. I'm not going into this to be the "Guy People Vote for Because They Already Know and Like the Songs," maybe they do, maybe they don't, who knows?

I hope I didn't come off as too oversensitive or whiny, just had to get that off my chest.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #184
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Bowie's version is a cover too.
Who did it originally?

I'm enjoying it. Not the best song here, I definitely prefer the title track and Stay and probably TVC 15, but it's sung well and I like the guitar.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #185
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I bet you sing the lyrics backwards in your sleep in Swahili!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Just paid a visit to Rest Of U2 Survivor and I really don't understand the popularity of Deep In The Heart or Walk To The Water.

PFan, you'll be voting Deep In The Heart next, right? I can't decide between it or WTTW, but I'd be happy to go DITH to get the numbers to kick one of them out rather than dividing effort between two songs.
Deep in the Heart next.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #187
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Who did it originally?
the mccoys
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #188
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

See I have never been able to get into Cat Power.
I like a few of her tracks, but I'm not a huge fan.

Quote:

Bowie's version is a cover too.

I actually really enjoy it. I think I prefer it to both Word on a Wing and Golden Years.
Really now?

Word on a Wing is pretty good. Golden Years is fun, but I kind of think of it as Young Americans' lesser kid brother.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Which song is this?
Word on a Wing.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

Leave Walk To The Water alone.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #191
Vocal parasite

Well, I think I enjoyed Station To Station the most out of the three Bowie albums I've heard so far. The title track's definitely my favourite song by him.

Now to listen to the Bowie song CIB linked to.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
That's cool.

I shouldn't be irked about people criticizing about my list; if that were the case, I wouldn't have done this again. I definitely agree that I rely too heavily on songs from films, but I really latch onto those songs, you know? I don't know what it is, but they really connect with me. I put together a list that I'm proud of and like, maybe not as much as the other 3, but still dig. It doesn't rely on a concept because I could only think of half-assed ones that would pale to the awesome ones that people like Screwtape, Phanan, Ax, or L-Mel would deliver, just to name a few. I'm not going into this to be the "Guy People Vote for Because They Already Know and Like the Songs," maybe they do, maybe they don't, who knows?

I hope I didn't come off as too oversensitive or whiny, just had to get that off my chest.
I like it better the second time. I think the lack of concept does hurt it, though I think that can often be made up for by a strong ending. I just think your list didn't really have that. I made a similar observation on LeMel's list with the lack of a strong ending.

I don't care at all about the soundtrack thing.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, I think I enjoyed Station To Station the most out of the three Bowie albums I've heard so far. The title track's definitely my favourite song by him.

Now to listen to the Bowie song CIB linked to.
More than Low? Wow. Didn't expect that.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Who did it originally?

I'm enjoying it. Not the best song here, I definitely prefer the title track and Stay and probably TVC 15, but it's sung well and I like the guitar.
Not sure. The original was from a 1957 film of the same name, and won an Academy Award.

Wikipedia says: Johnny Mathis performed that original version.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #195
Vocal parasite

Quote:

More than Low? Wow. Didn't expect that.
Most of the songs on the first half of Low are too short and don't realise what they should be.

The second half has amazing atmosphere, but that's not enough to push the album past Station To Station.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread