Disgraceful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- John Chaney was suspended for the rest of the regular season by Temple on Friday for ordering rough play by one of his players, who proceeded to foul out in 4 minutes against Saint Joseph's and broke an opponent's arm.

The Hall of Fame coach had suspended himself for one game Wednesday and apologized for his actions. He will miss Temple's home game against Massachusetts on Saturday and road games against Rhode Island and La Salle, before returning for the Atlantic 10 tournament.

``I think my behavior is reprehensible and, as I've said 1,000 times, I take responsibility,'' Chaney told The Associated Press in a phone interview. ``If it's the judgment of the school to suspend me, I can accept the responsibility of my actions.''

Temple president David Adamany announced the suspension in a statement.

``I have advised coach Chaney of this decision and coach Chaney has again expressed his deepest regrets for his actions,'' Adamany said.

Chaney, angered by what he thought were illegal screens by Saint Joseph's, put in seldom-used 6-foot-8, 250 pound Nehemiah Ingram against the Hawks on Tuesday to ``send a message.'' Ingram fouled forward John Bryant hard, sending him sprawling to the ground and breaking his arm. Bryant will likely miss the rest of the season.

Chaney said he called Bryant on Friday morning to apologize and also said he planned to talk to his parents. Chaney also offered to pay for any of Bryant's medical bills.

``I feel very contrite about John Bryant,'' Chaney said.

Saint Joseph's was traveling to Rhode Island and no one from the team was immediately available for comment.

Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno supported Temple's decision to extend the suspension and said Chaney failed in his responsibility as a teacher and mentor.

``He is aware that our code of conduct states any further behavior that does not reflect the standards of our conference will have severe consequences,'' Bruno said.

Chaney's only other suspension came in 1994, when Temple suspended him for one game after he threatened then-Massachusetts coach John Calipari during a postgame news conference.

Chaney said he did not regret describing Ingram as a ``goon'' after the game because he said the term had been used to describe his team the last time they play Saint Joseph's.

``It was just a word that was reverberating throughout my head,'' Chaney said.

Chaney also said the suspension sent a strong message to Temple's students that abhorrent behavior would not be tolerated.

After some students spit in the direction of Saint Joe's players and cheerleaders, Adamany said the first few rows of the student section at the Liacouras Center would be empty for Saturday's game as a reminder they should uphold the standards of good sportsmanship.

``I incited them by my behavior, I guess,'' Chaney said.

Philadelphia 76ers guard Aaron McKie, who played for Chaney from 1991-94, stood by his former coach.

``I'm sure Coach in his private time, his down time, probably regrets what he said because he's always trying to do things the right way,'' McKie said. ``I hope people don't misunderstand that. It's just an unfortunate incident.''

The Hall of Famer has a 721-294 record in 33 seasons. He said he hasn't decided how the suspension will affect his decision about whether to return for another season.

``I've had a reputation for many years, I've done many things wrong and made a lot of mistakes,'' Chaney said. ``My name is a lightning rod. Right now, I'll just take inventory of myself.''

Back in 1993, Temple and Michigan played in the Elite Eight, the farthest Temple's ever gotten during Chaney's tenure. This was the sophomore year of Michigan's Fab Five, and Chaney put in a goon in to maul Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. This is all well documented in Mitch Albom's book "Fab Five".

Yeah, yeah, nobody's going to feel bad for any of the Michigan players. But Chaney's done this kind of crap before.

As a UMass alum, I'm well aware of Chaney's antics, he is a good coach but with very flawed way of thinking.
I'm sure Bill Cosby will defend him though.

ya seeeeeeeeee ya got to put the guys in with the jello pudding hehh hehh hehh.

putting someone in to foul someone whenever they touch the ball? fine... no problem. been done for years. it's even taken on a name of late... "hack-a-shaq" defense.

putting someone out there to be a physical presence? fine... no problem. been done for years.

putting someone out there with the intent of doing harm? not fine... big problem. unfortuantly, also been done for years.

this is the difference... if he had put this guy in to commit a couple of hard "fouls," i would have no issue with coach chaney. but what this was was not fouling hard. this was assault. there are rules in basketball. you don't hit anyone from behind, you don't undercut, and you don't foul hard while someone's in the air. baisicly... you don't do purposely do anything that would knock a person out of mid air and send them to the floor without being able to ballance themselves.

there are ways to commit hard fouls without doing this. case in point #1... if someone's being extra physical and you want to send him a message? rub him off a blind screen. perfectly legal, and he'll get the message. don't like that? fine... have someone elbow the damn guy in the ribs. quite easily done where the ref won't even see it. and if you're lucky, the guy will get pissed off that you elbowed him the ribs, and instead of complaining to the refs, he'll just push the guy who did the elbowing, getting himself thrown out of the game.

no i never did that when i played...

i sware

honestly...

never thrown the phantom elbow...

really

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom