Discovering INXS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
I've had the INXS anthology for a couple of years now, and after I picked up the "I'm Only Looking" DVD a few months ago, something happened...I needed to hear more INXS! I have been discovering this bands music for the first time recently, and it's great (I've even taken a liking to the often-bashed Full Moon, Dirty Hearts...) The Swing, Listen Like Thieves, Welcome To Wherever You Are...etc..all great. I'm quickly being turned on to this band, and it saddens me every time I hear another album for the first time ...that Michael Hutchence is gone. I still have yet to decide what my favorite song and album are, but I'd like to hear any other INXS fans' choices ( and comments).....

I love that band, saw them in the 80s. How I wish Michael was still around :sad:

Welcome to INXS, better late than never :wink:

"Welcome To Wherever You Are" is probebly my favorite lesser known INXS album. Doesnt draw much attention in their catalog but there are some great songs on there. "Communication", "Taste It" and "Not Enough Time" are 3 of my favorite INXS songs.

Last edited:
Inxs was one of the first modern rock bands that i got into in freshman year of highschool (1989):ohmy:

Micheal Hutchence was one of the best front men of his time - or any time for that matter. Enjoy them !!

Numb1075 said:
Inxs was one of the first modern rock bands that i got into in freshman year of highschool (1989):ohmy:

Talk about :ohmy: !! 1989 was the year I graduated high school! :lol:

Anyway, INXS was (and still is) among my top ten faves....I listened to KICK almost as much as I listened to JT & RH. It was on constant rotation with me for a while. Not a song on that album that I don't like.

Hutch was one of a kind.... wish he could have worked through his demons with his music. :sad: I know those would have been some phenomenal songs.

I adore INXS. I have the "Shine Like It Does" two disc set and love listening to it. Probably my favorite INXS album is "X," it's just fantastic. After listening to all the great stuff Chris Thomas did with INXS, I was excited to hear what he would do with U2, too bad it didn't work out as planned.

"Live Baby Live" is a tremendous live album.

Live Baby Live is one of the best albums ever put out, for sure.

If you are looking for a pretty good best of which covers their whole career, see if you can find The Years. It's a red cover and a double cd. They had another Best Of released a few years back but it doesn't cover all of it.

You have to hear and see What You Need live before you die. It's on the Wembley show which might be around on dvd now, but should still be on VHS somewhere. If not, find Live Baby Live on cd and go from there.

An old and forgotten gem of theirs is Shaboo Shooba. You can really pick any album and you wont regret it though. You'll probably spend years wondering why he chose/let himself succumb though. One of the greatest losses the music world will ever know I reckon.
:sigh:

I wont tell you what year I started listending to INXS. Lets just say Ive been a fan since Simple Simon / Just Keep Walking (still one of my favourite INXS songs). I have fond memories of that video where Michael is doing a spastic dance around the fire. Anyone know what that was? Gawd it was good. I unplaited my hair Bo Derek style to that video. :|

Shabooh Shoobah is one of my favourite albums ever. I'm still pissed about the 1982 (?) Countdown awards where Split Enz won everything and Shabooh Shoobah won nothing. I couldnt listen to Split Enz/ Crowded House for years after I hated them that much for beating such a brilliant album. :huh:

Im a big fan of the early stuff. Underneath the Colours and Shabooh Shoobah. I actually didnt like that whole Nile Rogers / lets get really big in the USA phase. Lost me a little bit then.

So the question? umm.

Favourite Song: "To Look At You" or "Just Keep Walking" or.......
Favourite Album: Shabooh Shoobah

I'd just like to say that the two best of releases after the Shine Like it Does 2-Disc anthology annoy me very much because they completely ignore "Elegantly Wasted"

Such a great band, saw them twice, including just a couple months before Hutchence's passing at the Orpheum Theater in Boston where he roamed the entire audience (including the balcony), and seemed to be a man who just loved what he was doing, still can't believe he comitted suicide, I believe the autoerotic theory (or maybe Bob Geldof had him murdered by Courtney Love :ohmy: ).
Favorite songs...hmm...
Original Sin
The One Thing
Kiss the Dirt
Kick

Muggsy said:
I like INXS... that music is so sexy :)

I agree!!!
I'm proud to say that INXS was the very first band I ever got to see live in concert, when I was 16! (They knew where Edmonton was before U2 did!) :D

Hewson said:
Such a great band, saw them twice, including just a couple months before Hutchence's passing at the Orpheum Theater in Boston where he roamed the entire audience (including the balcony), and seemed to be a man who just loved what he was doing, still can't believe he comitted suicide, I believe the autoerotic theory (or maybe Bob Geldof had him murdered by Courtney Love :ohmy: ).
Favorite songs...hmm...
Original Sin
The One Thing
Kiss the Dirt
Kick
I can't believe how anyone can view this as murder. I suppose it's a small consolation that there was no hatred or evil in his death.
That Boston show would have been awesome. He had such charisma and it could fill any sized venue. Truly a legend.
:sigh:

beli said:
I have fond memories of that video where Michael is doing a spastic dance around the fire. Anyone know what that was?

I'll have to watch all of their videos again, but, I believe the video you speak of is Kiss The Dirt (Falling Down The Mountain). I loved that video as well but mainly for the visuals. :heart: Australian Outback.

My favorites...
Just keep walking
Don't change (great intro!)
Burn for you
Dancing on the Jetty
Kiss the dirt (falling down the mountain)
Listen like thieves
Suicide Blonde
The stairs
Not enough time
Questions (I wish this was a longer song)
Elegantly Wasted
The gift

no one spastic dances like kirk pengilly does.
he proves once and for all, it is impossible to hold and play a guitar while dancing (? lol) to 'what you need'.
:up:

I love INXS! Always have. Shabooh Shoobah was one of the first albums I ever owned. But I think my favorite album would be The Swing. Just brilliant! But all of their songs are good. They have an amazing catalogue. Their last few albums really were overlooked and they had some great songs on them. Especially Welcome to Wherever You Are. I LOVE Beautiful Girl, it's one of my faves.

Blue Room said:
"Welcome To Wherever You Are" is probebly my favorite lesser known INXS album. Doesnt draw much attention in their catalog but there are some great songs on there. "Communication", "Taste It" and "Not Enough Time" are 3 of my favorite INXS songs.
"not enough time" is truely one of the greatest songs ever written-classic.
"I'm gonna make time stop for the 2 of us"

beli said:
Nope, not Kiss the Dirt. Im talking oolllllldd video, well before then..

Australian outback, yeah, tis pretty, I think so anyway but Im biased.

Wow...I've been reading the archives as you can see.....LOL!!! But I find this thread so interesting and love all the adoration for INXS....It seems to be a common thing among U2 fans to also love INXS.....

The answer to this question about the video with Michael dancing around a fire back in the earlier years is Stay Young.

I am a lover of the older INXS as well. Actually, there isn't an album of theirs I don't love.

Live Baby Live :drool:

my fav INXS songs

meditate
need you tonight
Mystify

My favorite song over all is The Stairs....it inspires me the same way Bad does....just one of those songs that makes your spirit soar!!!

My fav albums are Listen Like Thieves and Elegantly Wasted.

Back
Top Bottom