Dire Straits -- Who else loves em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Now I may have kinda grown up on their best of thanks to my Dad, but I reckon this is a pretty fine band. Sultans of Swing has one of the best guitar solos of all time, damn I wish I could play that. Romeo & Juliet, another great, flowing song, terrific vocals and lyrics. All round just a great band.

Telegraph Road is one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard.
A great band with one of the best guitarists of all time.

I love the early stuff from their debut album. Brothers in Arms has some great standouts on it, but there's much to much filler, 80s wishy-washy produced BS in the middle of it.

Canadiens1160 said:
I love the early stuff from their debut album. Brothers in Arms has some great standouts on it, but there's much to much filler, 80s wishy-washy produced BS in the middle of it.

Seconded.

Mark Knopfler. :drool:

Before U2 they were my favourite band. And coincidentally, I played Brothers In Arms (the album) again this morning. Still a very fine record. And in my opinion it doesn't have much filler (apart maybe from Why Worry, which is too long at 8+ minutes). My favourite Dire Straits record is Making Movies, especially the song Skateaway. :drool:

Popmartijn said:
Before U2 they were my favourite band. And coincidentally, I played Brothers In Arms (the album) again this morning. Still a very fine record. And in my opinion it doesn't have much filler (apart maybe from Why Worry, which is too long at 8+ minutes). My favourite Dire Straits record is Making Movies, especially the song Skateaway. :drool:
Maybe it's just the soupy-sounding middle section that bugs me. That's bookended by brilliance, though.

Popmartijn said:
I played Brothers In Arms (the album) again this morning. Still a very fine record. And in my opinion it doesn't have much filler (apart maybe from Why Worry, which is too long at 8+ minutes).

Strange, I think it's loaded with filler and average tracks. :shrug: Mind you, the good tracks more than make up for it. This is how I look at the album:

Amazing:
Money For Nothing
The Man's Too Strong
Brothers In Arms

Okay:
So Far Away
Walk Of Life
One World

Filler:
Your Latest Trick
Why Worry
Ride Across The River

The debut album, on the other hand. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

Strange, I think it's loaded with filler and average tracks. :shrug: Mind you, the good tracks more than make up for it. This is how I look at the album:

Amazing:
Money For Nothing
The Man's Too Strong
Brothers In Arms

Okay:
So Far Away
Walk Of Life
One World

Filler:
Your Latest Trick
Why Worry
Ride Across The River

Funny how we all look at things differently. I like the filler you listed... :lol:

For me, the one true throwaway track from this album is One World.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom