Dinosaur Jr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Has anyone heard of this american indie band.

I got this group from Mew's song "looking grave" - when I wanted to know who sang the line " are you hoping for someone to stare" because I immediately LOVED that voice ( cranky type voice).

I found out its J. Mascis from another group Dinosaur Jr

Then I downloaded "Drawerings" from emp3finder.com
(search dinosaur there)

I love this voice.. I really do..

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I love the way he sings

:drool:

Anyone is a fan of Dinosaur Jr here

:up: i listened to them a lot in high school.

check out j. mascis and the fog, as well.

j. mascis lives around here. a friend of mine works in a hippie healthfood grocery store, and he says mascis comes in all the time. he's always stoned out of his mind, and he walks around the store singing to himself.

Quoth Lftr Pllr:

"Her favorite song is still 'Forget the Swan'...
it gives her hope when those guitars kick in."

'Nuff said.

Their second album, You're Living All Over Me is classic Dinosaur Jr.
"Severed Lips" from their first album is probably my favorite song, though.

I saw J. Mascis and his band once in Tallahassee. He had a wall of speakers as the backdrop. Loudest damn thing I've ever seen. I think my ears bled, but it's all good.

HelloAngel said:
I saw J. Mascis and his band once in Tallahassee. He had a wall of speakers as the backdrop. Loudest damn thing I've ever seen. I think my ears bled, but it's all good.

Yeah, I saw them, too, back in the early 90's and it was LOUD. I believe they have a compilation called Ear Bleeding Country.

Judah said:
They reformed last year, didn't they? J. and Lou Barlow that is. They played Vancouver, B.C. a few months ago. Wonder if they'll do a new album together?

The original members including Lou on bass and Murph on drums did reform for a tour last year.....and reportedly got along well. I'd love to see another album from them, but I don't think it'll happen. At least not right now as Lou is still doing solo dates and there's talk Sebadoh might do another album.

barlowdog said:

The original members including Lou on bass and Murph on drums did reform for a tour last year.....and reportedly got along well. I'd love to see another album from them, but I don't think it'll happen. At least not right now as Lou is still doing solo dates and there's talk Sebadoh might do another album.

Lou leads Folk Implosion also, right?

J. opened solo -- just he and his electric guitar -- for Built to Spill (the best band in the world!...ok, second best) two nights here in Vancouver...summer of '04. Needless to say, he was amazing.

If you're looking to get an album, I'd echo MrBrau's suggestion of Green Mind. But you might start with Where You Been?, which is a bit more accessible and a nice starting point.

Tha boy sure can play himself some guitar. One of the best, especially if you dig Neil Young's noisier work. Voice is high and whiny like Neil's too, so if you've made it past that you're converted.

Judah said:

Lou leads Folk Implosion also, right?

J. opened solo -- just he and his electric guitar -- for Built to Spill (the best band in the world!...ok, second best) two nights here in Vancouver...summer of '04. Needless to say, he was amazing.

Yes, Lou Barlow also leads Folk Implosion. Lou did the "Kids" movie soundtrack which spawned Folk Implosion's top 40 hit Natural One. Their best album was probably One Part Lullaby, though some might disagree with me.

barlowdog said:

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. Anyway, Lou just posted on his website that he and the other members of Dinosaur Jr. are starting work on a new album next week. I'm both shocked and excited!

Dinosaur Jr. Touring, Recording New Material

Caroline Bermudez reports:
Few stranger things have happened than Dinosaur Jr. reuniting and touring. Like President Bush getting reelected or that snake in Florida that combusted after attempting to swallow an alligator whole.

Last year, the notoriously embattled duo of J. Mascis and Lou Barlow performed together under the Dinosaur Jr. name for the first time in 15 years. Incredibly enough, they're still together. And recording new material! Riding the success of last year's reissues of their first three albums (Dinosaur, You're Living All Over Me, and Bug), the band recently revealed that they are currently ensconced in Mascis' home studio, hard at work on a new record. Woo!

The band has also announced even more tour dates, which will take them to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, and back across America in February, March, and April. It all winds up in England, for the Dinosaur Jr.-curated date of the All Tomorrow's Parties' festival. If you didn't see them over the summer, you'll have a prime opportunity to catch the narcotic wonder that is J. Mascis. Freak scenes:

02-26 Tokyo, Japan - Shibuya-AX
02-27 Tokyo, Japan - Shibuya-AX
03-01 Osaka, Japan - Namba Hatch
03-02 Nagoya, Japan - Diamond Hall
03-05 Perth, Australia - Club Capitol
03-07 Byron Bay, Australia - Great Northern
03-08 Brisbane, Australia - The Tivoli
03-09 Sydney, Australia - Annandale Hotel
03-10 Sydney, Australia - Metro Theatre
03-11 Melbourne, Australia - The Corner Hotel
03-12 Melbourne, Australia - The Corner Hotel
03-13 Auckland, New Zealand - Shadows
03-29 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Tea Room
03-30 Austin, TX - Stubb's Bar-B-Q
03-31 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
04-01 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
04-02 Tallahassee, FL - The Moon
04-03 Jacksonville, FL - Freebird
04-04 Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues
04-05 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
04-06 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
04-07 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel
04-08 Atlanta, GA - The Variety Playhouse
04-09 Nashville, TN - City Hall
04-10 Memphis, TN - Young Avenue Deli
04-11 Indianapolis, IN - The Vogue
04-12 Columbia, MO - The Blue Note
04-13 Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall
04-14 Boulder, CO - Fox Theatre
04-16 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
04-18 Eugene, OR - WOW Hall
04-19 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
04-20 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
04-21 Hollywood, CA - Troubadour
04-22 Hollywood, CA - Troubadour
05-19 East Sussex, England - Camber Sands Holiday Centre (All Tomorrow's Parties) *

* with Mission of Burma, Dead Meadow, Broken Social Scene, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Lilys, The Bevis Frond, Eater, The Magik Markers, Tracy + the Plastics, Herman Düne, Mt. Eerie

In other Dinosaur Jr. news, the band will release its first DVD this summer. Filmed at New York's Irving Plaza this past December and at other shows on that same tour, the DVD features backstage footage from the reunion tour, one-on-one interviews with band members, and a full set of performances.

As previously reported, Witch, Mascis' new stoner rock band with members of freak-folk collective Feathers, will release their debut album on Tee Pee records on March 7. They have one show scheduled in support of the record so far, at Brooklyn's Northsix, on March 23.

I have to recommend J. Mascis and The Fog- More Light.

It's an uber-guitar wank-fest in the pop vein of "Where You Been" and "Without A Sound"

:drool:

This thread has reminded me of that 'Dinosaurs' show from 12-15 years ago...it was a family of walking talking dinosaurs with a baby dinosaur that was particularly loud and would always say 'Gotta love me!' :wink:

Back
Top Bottom