Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #481
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Yes, you do always have the most diverse playlists, which is pretty awesome. I would've put some This Will Destroy You on mine, but I really got into them after submissions were due, next time then.

I know I reuse at least 10-15 artists each time, but it's hard not to because they're my favorites. It rely lies on what songs you pick from them, like Bowie for example. In 4 lists, you could have 4 radically different Bowie tracks... but you shouldn't be penalized for wanting to use "Heroes," for example, arguably one of his more popular, but fucking amazing tunes.
I re-used Sting (will not again, those were the only two tracks I liked from that album), The Police, U2 (Heartland and Zooropa), Springsteen (4th of July and Devil's Arcade), EITS, RHCP, Franz Ferdinand, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin.

Bowie will become a regular, too. I imagine if Pink Floyd goes well, they will also.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #482
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Feel the spin...woah.

I feel free!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yes, you do always have the most diverse playlists, which is pretty awesome. I would've put some This Will Destroy You on mine, but I really got into them after submissions were due, next time then.
I almost had them on mine, but I had to cut them due to time constraints.

Quote:
I know I reuse at least 10-15 artists each time, but it's hard not to because they're my favorites. It rely lies on what songs you pick from them, like Bowie for example. In 4 lists, you could have 4 radically different Bowie tracks... but you shouldn't be penalized for wanting to use "Heroes," for example, arguably one of his more popular, but fucking amazing tunes.
Oh, I agree with this, too. Especially when you have an artist with such a huge back catalog. There's nothing wrong with that at all. You'll always see Springsteen and PT on my lists for that very reason. I just try to mix it up some times with other artists. For example, I kept Radiohead off this time, but they'll be back obviously.

And I don't penalize people for using well known tracks, either. If it works within the flow of the playlist, and I like the song, hell yes I'm going to enjoy it.

Someone criticized my using of Postal Service's Such Great Heights last time out, as it is the most known song on that album. I didn't care, because musically it worked the best in the spot I had for it. I didn't even give its status as best known song a second thought. That's not the point, to me anyway.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #484
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:

yeah, i don't see what's wrong with recycling artists, as long as each time the overall sound is different. i know i'm guilty of this too, so i definitely can't bitch at someone for using the same five or whatever artists everytime.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i have a question for you phanan, since you run the thing now. have you ever had to have someone revise their playlist or anything because they broke one of the rules (going over their time limit, using two songs of the same artist, etc)?
Hasn't happened. Most people are pretty good at asking ahead of time if they think something may or may not be used. And now that I'm running it, I'm fairly lenient on questionable things, anyway.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #486
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Someone criticized my using of Postal Service's Such Great Heights last time out, as it is the most known song on that album. I didn't care, because musically it worked the best in the spot I had for it. I didn't even give its status as best known song a second thought. That's not the point, to me anyway.
yeah, see, that's just stupid. like you said, it worked. that's all that matters. like, if someone wants to put streets or beautiful day on their playlist, as long as it works, i wouldn't mark them off for it. i don't give a shit how popular or obscure the artists or songs used are. what matters to me is how well everything works in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #487
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

yeah, i don't see what's wrong with recycling artists, as long as each time the overall sound is different. i know i'm guilty of this too, so i definitely can't bitch at someone for using the same five or whatever artists everytime.
No one should bitch about recycling artists after the forum created the unwritten must use U2 rule in every playlist.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #488
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Hasn't happened. Most people are pretty good at asking ahead of time if they think something may or may not be used. And now that I'm running it, I'm fairly lenient on questionable things, anyway.
that's good. ooh, you're lenient? i'll have to remember that in the future if i ever need clarification on something
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #489
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I almost had them on mine, but I had to cut them due to time constraints.

Oh, I agree with this, too. Especially when you have an artist with such a huge back catalog. There's nothing wrong with that at all. You'll always see Springsteen and PT on my lists for that very reason. I just try to mix it up some times with other artists. For example, I kept Radiohead off this time, but they'll be back obviously.

And I don't penalize people for using well known tracks, either. If it works within the flow of the playlist, and I like the song, hell yes I'm going to enjoy it.

Damn skippy. I used Such Great Heights on my first list - what a brilliant song.

I'm glad we're all discussing this, but I hate how some of the elaborate grading and criticisms prevent this from being as fun as it should be, you know?

But this has been fun so far and I hope it continues to get better.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #490
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
No one should bitch about recycling artists after the forum created the unwritten must use U2 rule in every playlist.
i remember that! "well, this one has U2, so i picked that one!"
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #491
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I'm glad we're all discussing this, but I hate how some of the elaborate grading and criticisms prevent this from being as fun as it should be, you know?

or like in the first one when there were no rules other than the time restriction (that i remember) and people used like three or four songs of each artist?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #492
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

or like in the first one when there were no rules other than the time restriction (that i remember) and people used like three or four songs of each artist?

I remember impy having like 4 Wilco tracks.

I miss not having him in the tourney.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #493
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Well, the constructive criticism shouldn't prevent this from being fun. It's all about hearing what others have to say - to get a different vantage point on something. You may not agree with that person, but hopefully at least you'll understand where they are coming from.

Hell, half the fun is seeing Axver's reaction to some of these playlists.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #494
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

I remember impy having like 4 Wilco tracks.

I miss not having him in the tourney.
lol yeah, i don't remember any real specifics since it was so long ago and i didn't participate (i don't think i found the thread until all spots were filled) but it's just as well. my playlist would've SUCKED without that artist restriction rule. 10 split enz songs? sure!

yeah, his playlists were good iirc.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #495
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, the constructive criticism shouldn't prevent this from being fun. It's all about hearing what others have to say - to get a different vantage point on something. You may not agree with that person, but hopefully at least you'll understand where they are coming from.

Hell, half the fun is seeing Axver's reaction to some of these playlists.
I agree, constructive criticism makes it all worth it, but there's some who leave out the constructive part.

Axver's reactions to the "crappy music" kills me every time. I still don't understand how someone can't like The Funk.

Tags
superthread