Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
It appears that Axver is correct about Russian Circles. They are pretty awesome. I'm listening to Enter though, not Station.

phanan's correct in that Station is not quite as heavy as Enter, but I would say it's even better - the atmospheres are amazing, the mixing is crisp and distinct, and the music is just beautiful, especially when they bring in the heavier, distorted guitars.

Axver said:

phanan's correct in that Station is not quite as heavy as Enter, but I would say it's even better - the atmospheres are amazing, the mixing is crisp and distinct, and the music is just beautiful, especially when they bring in the heavier, distorted guitars.

When it comes to post-rock, I think I may enjoy this more than EITS to some extent. I love the heaviness. 12 minutes in and it still sounds great.

Screwtape2 said:

Good I love soundscapes. :up:

No, really? :wink:

Some of the stuff I'm using:

Pink Floyd: SOYCD I-V
65 Days Of Static: Radio Protector
Explosions In The Sky: First Breath After Coma (might switch to Your Hand In Mine)
Agalloch: In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
Pure Reason Revolution: Aeropause
Passengers: Beach Sequence
U2: A Sort Of Homecoming
Porcupine Tree: Half Light
No-Man: Mahler
Anathema: Temporary Peace

Axver, what do you recommend for God Is an Astronaut? I've still only the one song from your playlist.

LemonMelon said:

When it comes to post-rock, I think I may enjoy this more than EITS to some extent. I love the heaviness. 12 minutes in and it still sounds great.

Awesome. Russian Circles are definitely my favourite post-rock/metal band. Station has just confirmed that.

As far as EITS goes, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is I think the greatest thing they've made. I listen to it a lot more than any of their other material.

I have The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place and Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever. I'm probably going to also get their newest album, which I have The Birth and the Death of the Day from but nothing else.

Axver said:

No, really? :wink:

Some of the stuff I'm using:

Pink Floyd: SOYCD I-V
65 Days Of Static: Radio Protector
Explosions In The Sky: First Breath After Coma (might switch to Your Hand In Mine)
Agalloch: In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion
Pure Reason Revolution: Aeropause
Passengers: Beach Sequence
U2: A Sort Of Homecoming
Porcupine Tree: Half Light
No-Man: Mahler
Anathema: Temporary Peace

That sounds good. I think Aeropause is one of the best soundscapes that I've heard. :up:

Axver said:

Awesome. Russian Circles are definitely my favourite post-rock/metal band. Station has just confirmed that.

As far as EITS goes, The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is I think the greatest thing they've made. I listen to it a lot more than any of their other material.

I'm relatively new to EITS, but Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is damn good. Worth all the hype. First Breath After Coma is exhilarating.

Sigur Ros, on the other hand, tends to bore me.

phillyfan26 said:
Axver, what do you recommend for God Is an Astronaut? I've still only the one song from your playlist.

The album it's from, All Is Violent, All Is Bright, is sensational.

And fuck, I've got to bail; late for uni. :wave:

Axver said:

I agree with this. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place is their masterpiece, at least so far. It's brilliant.

And I rank Station higher than Enter for Russian Circles also, although both are excellent.

I listened to Station again on the way home, and it was even better the second time through.

phanan said:
I'll also recommend their latest album, Far From Refuge. I have one of the songs from that album on my playlist.

Mis-labeled that one. :reject:

They're damn good. Post-rock FTW. :up:

They are. God Is An Astronaut is one of my favorites. They aren't as heavy as some other post-rockers, like Russian Circles, and in fact at times have some ambient tendencies, but the music is fantastic.

Far From Refuge and All Is Violent, All Is Bright are terrific all the way through. They also have an outstanding EP called A Moment Of Stillness.

Their first album, The End Of The Beginning, is also good, although a bit raw as they were still trying to define their sound. At least that's my interpretation of it.

KhanadaRhodes said:
btw, for anyone who cares, i'm finally getting around to finishing up listening to the playlists now. i'm on lmp's and...i still hate that kenny rogers song :yuck:

That's only fair.

Other than that though, do you like it so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom