Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

That's a legitimate point in your first paragraph.

I should set up a statistics page to see which people have used the most different artists. I'd bet the results would be interesting.

That would be interesting.

How did you feel about the second paragraph then?

LemonMacPhisto said:

"Diversity" is an issue, too. If you include too much of the same type of stuff, it's not diverse enough, but if it's extremely broad, covering different genres of music, then it's too all over the place.

Any of these categories has a fairly sized win/phail section. You can't win, you can only do what you can, really.

I don't think I have ever seen the criticism of something being too all over the place. I could be wrong though.

phillyfan26 said:

But your criticism seems to be about the credits as opposed to the music.

I don't wish for it to appear that way, because that's not the case.

When I hear a Lennon or McCartney song (especially from the 70's), even if the music is different, it still sounds similar to the Beatles. To me, anyway. When I hear Sting, even though he's made a ton of music that sounds different from The Police, his voice is the one constant through it all, and therefore quite similar to me.

Screwtape2 said:

I don't think I have ever seen the criticism of something being too all over the place. I could be wrong though.

Well, that it doesn't "flow," or the changes between songs are jarring. If that's the same thing, I may be wrong.

I guess I just don't see any connection between those songs. The only connection in the seven songs you've cited I note is the fact that Imagine and Maybe I'm Amazed both are based around the piano. The Frusciante/RHCP sounds totally different and Sting/Police sounds totally different.

Screwtape2 said:
It is just a criticism and I doubt most people vote simply on that. Though it certainly helps in the rankings. I think your playlist is fine as it is. That's what you would take on a desert island but if someone is more diverse than I'll give that category to them.
some people did, or just who had more artists they liked. i thought it was more about who executed their concept better, and/or who had a better flow? it was ridiculous.

some of the people voting either don't know how to give valid criticism, don't fully understand the concept of the game (like what's trying to be accomplished), or i dunno.

And I still haven't heard a legitimate argument as to how song choice (i.e.: quality and flow) has anything to do with the popularity of the song.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That would be interesting.

How did you feel about the second paragraph then?

I agree to an extent. While Axver's playlists often have artists that he's used before, he still does change them up. His DI2 playlist was a beautiful, cohesive package of songs from a plethora of artists from different genres. I think it might be my favorite of his.

And last time out, at the beginning, he put on some early stuff that doesn't sound like anything he's used before. Now granted, it eventually shifted gears into more familar territory later on that he's covered before, but at least it had some differences.

I agree about Lance's playlists more. They seem to be of the same ilk, at least the last two, anyway.

phillyfan26 said:
I guess I just don't see any connection between those songs. The only connection in the seven songs you've cited I note is the fact that Imagine and Maybe I'm Amazed both are based around the piano. The Frusciante/RHCP sounds totally different and Sting/Police sounds totally different.

Well, that's the beauty of this. I see a different connection than you. That's how we get different viewpoints of things. If we all saw something the same way, it would get boring real quick.

KhanadaRhodes said:

some people did, or just who had more artists they liked. i thought it was more about who executed their concept better, and/or who had a better flow? it was ridiculous.

some of the people voting either don't know how to give valid criticism, don't fully understand the concept of the game (like what's trying to be accomplished), or i dunno.

In a perfect world all people would vote like that. I think it is a matter of people not thinking the playlists through enough to give valid criticisms or positives. I hate when someone just leaves a name and that's it or someone doesn't even post. Tell us why you voted one way or another.

phanan said:

I agree to an extent. While Axver's playlists often have artists that he's used before, he still does change them up. His DI2 playlist was a beautiful, cohesive package of songs from a plethora of artists from different genres. I think it might be my favorite of his.

And last time out, at the beginning, he put on some early stuff that doesn't sound like anything he's used before. Now granted, it eventually shifted gears into more familar territory later on that he's covered before, but at least it had some differences.

I agree about Lance's playlists more. They seem to be of the same ilk, at least the last two, anyway.

That's fair. It just seems like it's always that dreary, prog/post-rock-punk-something-type of stuff on there, you know? It's a minor knock, because he puts a lot of time and effort into making lists that he's into and fit well for him, but I rarely enjoy listening to them or have that cathartic release I get with other lists of that style - purely my opinion.

His DI2 was my favorite of his as well.

phillyfan26 said:
And I still haven't heard a legitimate argument as to how song choice (i.e.: quality and flow) has anything to do with the popularity of the song.
i don't think one has anything to do with the other. if you think a huge band's biggest hit will help convey your point, use it. not everything has to be obscure song b.

phillyfan26 said:

It doesn't have to do with quality or flow. You just might get a better ranking or grade because of more exotic song choices. That goes along with the creativity.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's fair. It just seems like it's always that dreary, prog/post-rock-punk-something-type of stuff on there, you know? It's a minor knock, because he puts a lot of time and effort into making lists that he's into and fit well for him, but I rarely enjoy listening to them or have that cathartic release I get with other lists of that style - purely my opinion.

His DI2 was my favorite of his as well.

Yeah, that's why I like to mix it up a bit more. My playlist ventures into some post-rock, but I try not to overload the listener with it.

And I made an effort to make sure I used a lot of different artists this time around, compared to my last two. Aside from Porcupine Tree, I have hardly any prog artists. Hell, I don't even have Pink Floyd on there this time. Who would've thought that?

In fact, if you go through all my playlists, I believe the only artists to appear every time now are U2, Springsteen, and Porcupine Tree. That's it.

Screwtape2 said:

It doesn't have to do with quality or flow. You just might get a better ranking or grade because of more exotic song choices. That goes along with the creativity.

And I think that's a poor way of grading a playlist.

Screwtape2 said:
In a perfect world all people would vote like that. I think it is a matter of people not thinking the playlists through enough to give valid criticisms or positives. I hate when someone just leaves a name and that's it or someone doesn't even post. Tell us why you voted one way or another.
i know, it just sucks. phanan gave us all the time in the world to listen to the playlists, and it's obvious not everyone has. rounds 1 and 2 have been available forever, so there's no excuse as to how someone couldn't have listened to them by now.

and yeah, i know. i'm guilty of this. i didn't post in my matchup (for obvious reasons...is anyone ever going to vote against themselves?) and i don't think i've given reasons in any others. i just, i dunno. i feel like we discuss everything so much here in the superthreads, i've already said all i want/need to say about why i prefer this playlist over another. and if i really don't care for someone's, i feel bad saying theirs sucks.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i know, it just sucks. phanan gave us all the time in the world to listen to the playlists, and it's obvious not everyone has. rounds 1 and 2 have been available forever, so there's no excuse as to how someone couldn't have listened to them by now.

and yeah, i know. i'm guilty of this. i didn't post in my matchup (for obvious reasons...is anyone ever going to vote against themselves?) and i don't think i've given reasons in any others. i just, i dunno. i feel like we discuss everything so much here in the superthreads, i've already said all i want/need to say about why i prefer this playlist over another. and if i really don't care for someone's, i feel bad saying theirs sucks.

Well if you can find the smallest good thing about a playlist you should say what it is. That's what I do.

And this is for Axver when he wakes up later.

I listened to the new Russian Circles today, and I think it's excellent. It's not as heavy sounding as the first release, so I'm not sure what you'll think of it, but that's probably one of the reasons why I love it so much. The soundscapes are beautiful.

Screwtape2 said:
No it's not.

Counting the chart-toppers on mine and the indie tracks on his to compile a part of the grade? No, that's a bad way of grading it.

Screwtape2 said:
Well if you can find the smallest good thing about a playlist you should say what it is. That's what I do.
for some (i'm combining the past four competitions' worth) the only good thing i can say about them is i never have to listen to them again! :wink:

phanan said:

Yeah, that's why I like to mix it up a bit more. My playlist ventures into some post-rock, but I try not to overload the listener with it.

And I made an effort to make sure I used a lot of different artists this time around, compared to my last two. Aside from Porcupine Tree, I have hardly any prog artists. Hell, I don't even have Pink Floyd on there this time. Who would've thought that?

In fact, if you go through all my playlists, I believe the only artists to appear every time now are U2, Springsteen, and Porcupine Tree. That's it.

Yes, you do always have the most diverse playlists, which is pretty awesome. I would've put some This Will Destroy You on mine, but I really got into them after submissions were due, next time then.

I know I reuse at least 10-15 artists each time, but it's hard not to because they're my favorites. It rely lies on what songs you pick from them, like Bowie for example. In 4 lists, you could have 4 radically different Bowie tracks... but you shouldn't be penalized for wanting to use "Heroes," for example, arguably one of his more popular, but fucking amazing tunes.

KhanadaRhodes said:

Me too. The first time I listened to the symphonic album game, I kind of felt under-whelmed. I'd heard so much hype about the games, and the other tracklists weren't as good as I was expecting. Kind of similar here, too.

The big-hitters always seem to come through, though.

phillyfan26 said:
Me too. The first time I listened to the symphonic album game, I kind of felt under-whelmed. I'd heard so much hype about the games, and the other tracklists weren't as good as I was expecting. Kind of similar here, too.

The big-hitters always seem to come through, though.
yeah. for me tracklists go one way or the other: i like them or i don't. and when i say like, we're talking everything: song choice, execution, how well the theme/story was conveyed, etc.

i have a question for you phanan, since you run the thing now. have you ever had to have someone revise their playlist or anything because they broke one of the rules (going over their time limit, using two songs of the same artist, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom