Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
Some of the criticisms of my playlist: :huh: .
yeah. the same people who did that to yours, did that to mine. i don't get it. if you don't like it that's fine. not everyone is gonna like everything. but at least give a valid reason, show you actually listened to the playlists and didn't just glance at the lists.

at least we both won :hi5:

I'm listening to Lance's the whole way through for the first time.

I can't believe it's still on the 2nd track.

I love LCD Soundsystem, but that's not a song - it's dental surgery.

I never thought I'd say this, but it's starting to roll with this Neutral Milk Hotel track.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
You didn't challenge the bounds of popular music enough. Phail for you.

I don't understand Phanan's criticism of repeat artists. How in the world does John Frusciante sound anything like RHCP? Sting like The Police? Honestly, is he really worried about the name on the song that much? And I really respect Phanan, too. I just don't understand that criticism at all.

Also, the greatest hits thing that monkeyskin took off for and Screwtape alluded to. Don't get that either. I'm half convinced the decision was made before it was listened to.

So, clearly the decision's simple: first disc of more popular, traditional songs with good flow, followed by a second disc mixing prog and indie. It satisfies all kinds.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't understand Phanan's criticism of repeat artists. How in the world does John Frusciante sound anything like RHCP? Sting like The Police? Honestly, is he really worried about the name on the song that much? And I really respect Phanan, too. I just don't understand that criticism at all.

Also, the greatest hits thing that monkeyskin took off for and Screwtape alluded to. Don't get that either. I'm half convinced the decision was made before it was listened to.

So, clearly the decision's simple: first disc of more popular, traditional songs with good flow, followed by a second disc mixing prog and indie. It satisfies all kinds.

It's how some people will always go about voting for lists. To tell the truth, I don't think it's any different than people glancing at the lists and voting without hearing anything.

Even if you've heard the song before and you like it, if it's used well in a list, who the fuck cares?

Getting exposed to new music is a hell of a lot of fun, and it's the 2nd-best thing about this contest for me, but it's not fair to hit against people because they use a fairly popular song.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

I think Phanan's criticism is fair because you should have diversity in your playlist.

The greatest hits thing is fair too. It seems like you picked the most popular songs by some of the artists instead of having unique song choices. Other did that too. That criticism comes from me after I listened and felt the song choices weren't that great for the second disc. It is a fair criticism and something you and others should watch for.

Oh, and the last part of that referred to my strategy for my DI5 list. Semi-jokingly, of course.

I think I need to use Pink Floyd next time.

Screwtape2 said:
I think Phanan's criticism is fair because you should have diversity in your playlist.

The greatest hits thing is fair too. It seems like you picked the most popular songs by some of the artists instead of having unique song choices. Other did that too. That criticism comes from me after I listened and felt the song choices weren't that great for the second disc. It is a fair criticism and something you and others should watch for.

Diversity in names? :huh:

Song choices is one thing, greatest hits is another.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's how some people will always go about voting for lists. To tell the truth, I don't think it's any different than people glancing at the lists and voting without hearing anything.

Even if you've heard the song before and you like it, if it's used well in a list, who the fuck cares?

Getting exposed to new music is a hell of a lot of fun, and it's the 2nd-best thing about this contest for me, but it's not fair to hit against people because they use a fairly popular song.

Exactly my thoughts.

I definitely feel penalized for choosing songs that are more popular, as if my intention was to use them only to score points with popular voters.

phillyfan26 said:

Exactly my thoughts.

I definitely feel penalized for choosing songs that are more popular, as if my intention was to use them only to score points with popular voters.

God forbid that they're songs that you like.

The only two songs that I felt were at all stretches were McCartney and Elton John. I feel like those two songs should have been just one.

phillyfan26 said:

Diversity in names? :huh:

Song choices is one thing, greatest hits is another.

Diversity in artists. Using a solo artist and the group they come from can be a bit of overload. It would be like using too much of a genre. Diversity is good.

No it is the same thing. Choosing to go with the most popular songs shouldn't be rated higher than unique song choices. If you use too many popular songs then it becomes a greatest hits album. No one wants to listen to a greatest hits disc when they could be exposed to so much more.

phillyfan26 said:
it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. you use popular stuff, you get blasted for trying to score points for that. you use obscure bands, you lose votes because of the people who don't download any links, don't listen to any of this stuff, and just vote based on what they've heard.

i'm not elitist by a long shot, but i wish people who don't listen to the playlists wouldn't vote, and it's quite obvious by some people's posts (combining all desert islands here) who doesn't listen to the playlists.

phillyfan26 said:

As Screwtape noted, my criticism was for the lack of diversity. If I'm on a desert island, I want to be able to listen to as many different artists as possible, because those will be the only ones I'll be able to hear for who knows how long. So if I have a Beatles song, having McCartney or Lennon on their own becomes less of a priority, you know? Even if the music sounds different, I'll still relate them to the Beatles because the vocals will be the same.

Now if that was the only scenario, it probably wouldn't have stood out as much, but you then had RCHP and Frusciante, Sting and The Police, etc. Combine that with the number of songs, and it wasn't as diverse as it could have been.

I gave Axver this same criticism on his DI3 playlist, so don't worry, it's not just you.

This is not to say I wouldn't do it at all. My last playlist, for DI3, had both PT and Blackfield, which feature Steven Wilson. But I try to keep it from happening only once so I get as many different artists as I can.

But let me emphasize that despite this, I still think you have an excellent playlist. It was a tough call for this round. But I see at least one match where you'll be definitely getting my vote. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

Diversity in artists. Using a solo artist and the group they come from can be a bit of overload. It would be like using too much of a genre. Diversity is good.

No it is the same thing. Choosing to go with the most popular songs shouldn't be rated higher than unique song choices. If you use too many popular songs then it becomes a greatest hits album. No one wants to listen to a greatest hits disc when they could be exposed to so much more.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, because I love your playlist, but it's got 30+ minutes of Peter Gabriel/Genesis. Even if it's only 2 tracks, 30 minutes is a hell of a long time.

To be honest, I have more of a problem with people who don't vary up their lists from tourney to tourney against people who use well-known songs. Lance and Axver's list are good examples of this - no matter how well-made/executed they are, they sound the same.

Screwtape2 said:

:huh: I do not understand what you are even talking about.

Simply because John Frusciante is a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, that makes those two overload? I'm sorry, but I think Frusciante's solo material has a totally different sound and feel than RHCP. I'd find it hard to compare the two, in fact. Same with Sting and The Police, and The Edge and U2.

And, they're two different things, I'll say it again. You can criticize songs as being weak all you want. That's your call. But that's not what you're saying. You say, "Choosing to go with the most popular songs shouldn't be rated higher than unique song choices" as if I wanted my list to get better rankings because the songs were more familiar. I call bullshit. I never said anything like that, nor did I imply it.

Not only do I think you're completely, totally, and utterly wrong, I think there's major logical flaws in what you are saying.

KhanadaRhodes said:

it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. you use popular stuff, you get blasted for trying to score points for that. you use obscure bands, you lose votes because of the people who don't download any links, don't listen to any of this stuff, and just vote based on what they've heard.

i'm not elitist by a long shot, but i wish people who don't listen to the playlists wouldn't vote, and it's quite obvious by some people's posts (combining all desert islands here) who doesn't listen to the playlists.

I love when people use obscure stuff. For me I want creativity and when you choose the most popular songs by an artist you aren't being creative. That's where I stand. You can disagree with me though.

I too wish people would listen to all the playlists. I know in Desert Island 2 people were voting based on what they knew and I got royally fucked as did a lot of people.

Screwtape2 said:
i got blasted for not being diverse enough in my genres or whatver as well. i'm like, whatever. i like what i like. i do like more than what i used, but i'm not about to run out and buy every piece of vinyl i have or every song i hear on classic rock stations, jazz stations, or classical music stations (yes i listen to all that stuff) that i like just to be more diverse. i'm broke enough as it is, i can't buy 15 cds a week just to buy every cd or download every song i like to be more diverse.

and i can't even go the illegal route anymore, as my isp blocks everything.

and screwtape, i just want to let you know i'm not attacking you or anything, just defending why i used what i used.

phillyfan26 said:
Same with Sting and The Police, and The Edge and U2.
i agree. if i used a song like can't stand losing you or synchronicity 2, would it be similar sounding to if you love somebody set them free or fields of gold? sting solo sounds so different than the police.

now one solo artist i would say something about is phil collins/genesis. if someone used invisible touch and sussudio...wait, aren't those both genesis songs? see, his stuff from the 80s is all the same. i like it, but you can't tell what's his and what's theirs.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i got blasted for not being diverse enough in my genres or whatver as well. i'm like, whatever. i like what i like. i do like more than what i used, but i'm not about to run out and buy every piece of vinyl i have or every song i hear on classic rock stations, jazz stations, or classical music stations (yes i listen to all that stuff) that i like just to be more diverse. i'm broke enough as it is, i can't buy 15 cds a week just to buy every cd or download every song i like to be more diverse.

and i can't even go the illegal route anymore, as my isp blocks everything.

and screwtape, i just want to let you know i'm not attacking you or anything, just defending why i used what i used.

It is just a criticism and I doubt most people vote simply on that. Though it certainly helps in the rankings. I think your playlist is fine as it is. That's what you would take on a desert island but if someone is more diverse than I'll give that category to them.

Su-su-sussudio?

My parents used to play that cassette to death, and now I hate Phil Collins.

Screwtape2 said:

It is just a criticism and I doubt most people vote simply on that. Though it certainly helps in the rankings. I think your playlist is fine as it is. That's what you would take on a desert island but if someone is more diverse than I'll give that category to them.

"Diversity" is an issue, too. If you include too much of the same type of stuff, it's not diverse enough, but if it's extremely broad, covering different genres of music, then it's too all over the place.

Any of these categories has a fairly sized win/phail section. You can't win, you can only do what you can, really.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, because I love your playlist, but it's got 30+ minutes of Peter Gabriel/Genesis. Even if it's only 2 tracks, 30 minutes is a hell of a long time.

Phanan has before used the same criticism of me. I just think it is fair no matter who it is. I think it would be completely fair if he had that criticism of my playlist.

phanan said:
As Screwtape noted, my criticism was for the lack of diversity. If I'm on a desert island, I want to be able to listen to as many different artists as possible, because those will be the only ones I'll be able to hear for who knows how long. So if I have a Beatles song, having McCartney or Lennon on their own becomes less of a priority, you know? Even if the music sounds different, I'll still relate them to the Beatles because the vocals will be the same.

Now if that was the only scenario, it probably wouldn't have stood out as much, but you then had RCHP and Frusciante, Sting and The Police, etc. Combine that with the number of songs, and it wasn't as diverse as it could have been.

But your criticism seems to be about the credits as opposed to the music.

LemonMacPhisto said:

To be honest, I have more of a problem with people who don't vary up their lists from tourney to tourney against people who use well-known songs. Lance and Axver's list are good examples of this - no matter how well-made/executed they are, they sound the same.

That's a legitimate point in your first paragraph.

I should set up a statistics page to see which people have used the most different artists. I'd bet the results would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom