Dildo, Newfoundland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:
Wow, I think they all had bad hair in 1984. :yikes:

What, you don't like the Almighty Mullet?

I feel the need to use my "BOGANS: Not just from Frankston" demotivational poster here, but I imagine I'll just get told "that's 1983" or something. :laugh:

major_panic said:
Oh bloody hell, I'm just not cut out to be a contemporary scientific researcher. I'm used to debating and examining "cutting-edge" theological ideas from the sixteenth to twentieth century, not last month's psychological discoveries!

:lol:

Theology: we're gonna eschatologise like it's 1699.

Alisaura said:
I'm still recovering from the Bonomullet....

Ack, I'd better get to bed if I want to wake up and be moderately coherent at 6am... :crack:

6am?! Have fun with that. That's when I got up last Saturday for the trains and was stunned to discover it was still mostly dark at that hour. :crack:

G'night! :wave:

Axver said:

BUT WHO MUCH IS RITTEN IN MOROCKO?

I imagine you could get approval if you pitch the topic in the right way. I can't decide I want to do a broad examination of terrorism activity and policy in the South Pacific, or something narrow focusing solely on the Rainbow Warrior and whether the attack constituted terrorism. Sources will probably be scarce for me too ...

TEH BAND ARE IN HANOVER QUAY NOW! LIEK ZOMGZOMGLOL!

Well, the main reason I want to study the Sicarii is that they kind of have a lot to do with the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple, which directly relates to a couple of the prophecies of Jesus in Luke. And, of course, with what Jews have been doing for the two thousand years since.

Alisaura said:
u2.com:
"We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please check back"

How do you solve technical difficulties like SUCKING ARSE?!

:lmao:

U2.com: the longest running technical difficulty in the history of the Internet.

Axver said:

Theology: we're gonna eschatologise like it's 1699.

"Hey, have you heard the latest ideas from Martin Luther?"

"Nah man, you're behind the times, it's all about John Calvin now!"

(it's not usually that bad - usually it feels like going through U2's early stuff and going "wow that one's really good, how come I've never heard that before?")

major_panic said:

TEH BAND ARE IN HANOVER QUAY NOW! LIEK ZOMGZOMGLOL!

Well, the main reason I want to study the Sicarii is that they kind of have a lot to do with the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple, which directly relates to a couple of the prophecies of Jesus in Luke. And, of course, with what Jews have been doing for the two thousand years since.

OMG U N00B DID U N0T REED THEY WURKD IN MOROCKO?!??!!

That sounds like it could be pretty interesting. If you can dig out some sources, I reckon you should formulate some sort of topic and see if you can get approval.

Alisaura said:
Oh yeah, I was supposed to be going to bed.

Oh look, Amazing Grace snippetry in Electric Co.!

Right, going now.... :wave:

:lol: :wave:

That's one of those snippets that on paper I think seems almost ridiculous, but in practice works remarkably well.

major_panic said:

"Hey, have you heard the latest ideas from Martin Luther?"

"Nah man, you're behind the times, it's all about John Calvin now!"

(it's not usually that bad - usually it feels like going through U2's early stuff and going "wow that one's really good, how come I've never heard that before?")

I've actually written on Calvin before. I think his contribution to political science is rather overlooked, but as I'm bored with PolSci these days, I haven't taken it any further. But that guy freaks me the fuck out.

Axver said:

I've actually written on Calvin before. I think his contribution to political science is rather overlooked, but as I'm bored with PolSci these days, I haven't taken it any further. But that guy freaks me the fuck out.

Hah, we were discussing him today in Systematic Theology 101; in the words of my tutor, "what an absolute bastard!"

He's a strange, strange one. I guess it's what happens when you're a lawyer... :wink:

Of considerable interest around that time period, and often overlooked, is Ulrich Zwingli, "the theologian with the sword". You should look him up if you get some time, he's fascinating. Died in battle against Catholics.

Last edited:
major_panic said:

Hah, we were discussing him today in Systematic Theology 101, in the words of my tutor, "what an absolute bastard!"

He's a strange, strange one. I guess it's what happens when you're a lawyer... :wink:

Of considerable interest around that time period, and often overlooked, is Ulrich Zwingli, "the theologian with the sword". You should look him up if you get some time, he's fascinating. Died in battle against Catholics.

:lol: Yeah, Calvin doesn't sound like the finest bloke to hang out with.

I'm actually familiar with Zwingli - when I did my work on Calvin, I wanted to do some comparison/contrast with Zwingli's role in Zurich but I ran out of room. I got bogged down in the way divorce law was revolutionised in Calvin's Geneva. Surprisingly interesting stuff.

Fuck. I've written 574 words so far, meaning I really only have room for one more paragraph before my conclusion, and I don't feel I've argued much yet and the two main paragraphs of argumentation are yet to come. :|

At 574 words, I'd normally be just finishing my intro!

Axver said:
Fuck. I've written 574 words so far, meaning I really only have room for one more paragraph before my conclusion, and I don't feel I've argued much yet and the two main paragraphs of argumentation are yet to come. :|

At 574 words, I'd normally be just finishing my intro!

Well, my main body consisted of a couple of arguments without much support, no citing the opposing argument and a very short conclusion... Hell, the whole essay was short.

I've now written 39 words, yay. Only 1960 to go!

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah, Calvin doesn't sound like the finest bloke to hang out with.

I'm actually familiar with Zwingli - when I did my work on Calvin, I wanted to do some comparison/contrast with Zwingli's role in Zurich but I ran out of room. I got bogged down in the way divorce law was revolutionised in Calvin's Geneva. Surprisingly interesting stuff.

Calvin's Geneva was very interesting all right. I did a brief doc study on his Ordinances for the Genevan church, and was suprised at how much of a nosy bugger he wanted the church to be. And the assumption that everyone at the time was, and wanted to be, Protestants.

Holy crap, this place has slowed down. I think everyone's actually doing work!

I should try to do some too then.

major_panic said:

Well, my main body consisted of a couple of arguments without much support, no citing the opposing argument and a very short conclusion... Hell, the whole essay was short.

I've now written 39 words, yay. Only 1960 to go!

I wanted to insert a bit bagging Post, but I think it's just going to be a "see Post" footnote after a sentence where I say something to the effect of "some have emphasised the psychology of the terrorist as the cause". Bleh. I feel like I spent two paragraphs defining what I'm on about and still glossed over everything.

major_panic said:

Calvin's Geneva was very interesting all right. I did a brief doc study on his Ordinances for the Genevan church, and was suprised at how much of a nosy bugger he wanted the church to be. And the assumption that everyone at the time was, and wanted to be, Protestants.

What I find interesting is that despite his extreme social control, he in some regards actually liberalised or moved things forward. His divorce laws that I mentioned are fascinating for the reason that they actually grant more power to women than the surrounding societies did, and in some cases gender provisions were equal.

There is also a case that Calvin had an influence on the development of the international order we know today - i.e. territorial states - but I never got the chance to research this in depth. I began to, but by that time, PolSci had lost its lustre for me.

major_panic said:
Holy crap, this place has slowed down. I think everyone's actually doing work!

I should try to do some too then.

... scary. :ohmy:

Though as I work, I keep thinking of other things I need to do. "Yeah, I should take out the rubbish!" "Vacuuming might be a good idea." "How about doing a load of washing?"

Axver said:

... scary. :ohmy:

Though as I work, I keep thinking of other things I need to do. "Yeah, I should take out the rubbish!" "Vacuuming might be a good idea." "How about doing a load of washing?"

:lol: Same here, except it's "Hey, why don't I write a theological paper on this?" or "Now, what else do I need to put on the external hard drive?" or "Hey look, kung fu fighting!"

HOLY SHIT, I'm gonna be in a Chinese MTV video! Along with some other fellow martial arts types! :hyper: Filming on Friday!

FUCK WORK, now I've gotta plan a martial arts routine...

major_panic said:
HOLY SHIT, I'm gonna be in a Chinese MTV video! Along with some other fellow martial arts types! :hyper: Filming on Friday!

FUCK WORK, now I've gotta plan a martial arts routine...

Wow, you lucky bastard. :applaud:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom