Diego Maradona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
Anyone else see "when Lineker met maradona" last night.

Bono got a mention.

He said that when he and his daughters met Bono, he complimented them on their English.

Maradona - the man us English love to hate and hate to love.

great player...but hanging out with Chavez and Castro makes me a little red...i know he and Bono hung out in Argentina and he stole Bonos hat

europop2005 said:
great player...but hanging out with Chavez and Castro makes me a little red...i know he and Bono hung out in Argentina and he stole Bonos hat

I feel the same way when Bono hangs around Bush & co

He was a very good player , wouldn't say great , I would say that he was in the level of Cruyff or Platini for example , but for instance he's no match compared with the brazilians , besides he's has done so many bullshits in life , and I'm not talking' bout drugs.

J_NP said:
He was a very good player , wouldn't say great , I would say that he was in the level of Cruyff or Platini for example , but for instance he's no match compared with the brazilians , besides he's has done so many bullshits in life , and I'm not talking' bout drugs.

Doesn't matter about his personal life.
If we are talking football the man was a genious. Better than Cruyff & Platini.
The only Brazilian that you could compare to Maradona is Pele.

MMm not only Pele I would say , but also Garrincha and Zico perhaps , and nowadays Ronaldinho , and the last one is not only good with one leg , Maradona wasn't very good with his right leg.

Edit.: I think if this thread goes on like this , will be moved.

Last edited:
To knock Diego Maradonna for his politics or position in the hall of football greats is sacralidge. (hope i spellt that right) The greatest footballer bar none, EVER!!
P.S Castro and Chavez are cool in my book too.

jinn77 said:
The greatest footballer bar none, EVER!!

Sure , I agree with you :)

You just have to forget all the players of the champions teams , then not counting those , we have Maradona as number 1 :wink:

It's clear that every single people that say "Maradona is the number one, D10S, etc" haven't seen a single video of Pelé or Johan Cruyff:silent: Not only in the past, nowadays Ronaldinho is better than what was Maradona.

Maradona had talent, that's something beyond discussion ... but ... how much of his playing was because of cocaine and other drugs? :eyebrow: do you remember the Napoli times?. It's widespread that the team changed his exams after the matches... he gave great moments to the football history ... but ... at the same time, he brought the dark side of lies, manipulation, drugs, traffic, etc :(

Maradona only had ONE golden World cup - Mexico 86 - in Italy 90 he was only a shadow of his former glory, and in USA 94 he was just a joke, and when he scored the goal against Greece and he went to that camera to celebrate, it was clear he was completely stoned !. In Europe he was fantastic until the mid 80s, then in the whole 90s he was NOTHING, even when he returned to Argentina he was something like Fat Elvis. Even in Boca Juniors - his loved football team - the fans didn't like him at the end because he was SO FAT, he didn't go to the practices and he couldn't play even 30 minutes on the field... he was (is?) just a drug addict...

That's the reason why many people - outside Argentina, of course - call him MARADROGA instead

Finally, Pelé or Cruyff would never appear in a commercial with Argentinian or German T-shirt :grumpy: that's a whole lack of respect to the devoted Argentinian fans

overrated drug abuser if you ask me. if you pumped me full of all the chemicals he was on i could jump higher than peter shilton and punch a football.

totally overrated as a player and his other goal against England in 86 still looks to me like a terry fenwick own goal!:madspit:

CKONE said:
overrated drug abuser if you ask me. if you pumped me full of all the chemicals he was on i could jump higher than peter shilton and punch a football.

totally overrated as a player and his other goal against England in 86 still looks to me like a terry fenwick own goal!:madspit:

still hurting over the "hand of god" I see.:lol:

h##p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E49xGB9-8T8&search=diego%20maradona

overrated , check out youtube for classic Diego moments

of course i am still hurting:( he may have had a few tricks up his sleeve but he can never be compared to a clean footballer. pele stands head and shoulder above all others.

CKONE said:
of course i am still hurting:( he may have had a few tricks up his sleeve but he can never be compared to a clean footballer. pele stands head and shoulder above all others.

PSS Give me a break! Maradonna was a genius when he was young you can't deny that. You don't know what your talking about. And get your history right! Maradonna started doing drugs in the 90's and yes he screwed up but look at him now he is doing very well and in the 80's he was clean and he was a genius. He and Pele were soccer gods!

CKONE said:

And let me guess you think Beckhem (or how ever you spell that dumb guys name) is the best player in the world? lol

People this discussion with Pele is so out of place , dude Pelé is out of this world , in music he should be something like Elvis plus Beatles plus Sinatra , all the powers and the dones of these artists , I believe even some argentina people find it ridiculous to compare Maradona with Pele , even though it's completely needless I'm gonna say only a few things , Pele scored more than 1000 goals :ohmy: He won 3 cups for his country , plus the team of 70 is regarded as what would be in NBA the dream team , you can even put Pele out of that team , and it would be still unbeatable . and one last thing , Pele never needed to use his hands to make goals .

I'm sorry Celticfc , it seems that you are either or a argentinian or a big fan of Maradona , but he IS overrated mate , yeah sure he made a beautiful goal against England in that final , but tell me how many similar goals Ronaldo made like when he was in Barcelona ? Or even Romario or now Ronaldinho ? He was a great player , yeah sure that's a fact , but put him as #2 or 3rd best player ? That doesn't make sense , you gotta ignore players like Cruyff , Beckenbauer , Platini and so many others that I don't recall now . I would say probably Argentina had other better players , that aren't given the fame , coz they didn't appear so much in tabloids like Maradona . And Yes I've seen Maradona playing , sure it's great , but I still personally prefer like see Cruyff playing , what a player , his football and of that amazing Dutch team was beautiful , a shame Holland never won a cup , they did deserve

Edit.: Again for people who insist to put Maradona in same place of Pele , do the same of that beatles thread , if you go to a really remote place in the world , or maybe a small country in Africa ask anyone if they know Pele , they probably say "The brazilian that changed soccer " ask 'bout Maradona , I guess the ones who know him will likely say "The Argentinian player who was into cocaine ?"

Last edited:
dabiggestu2fan said:

PSS Give me a break! Maradonna was a genius when he was young you can't deny that. You don't know what your talking about. And get your history right! Maradonna started doing drugs in the 90's and yes he screwed up but look at him now he is doing very well and in the 80's he was clean and he was a genius. He and Pele were soccer gods!

the fact is no-one knows when he started his drug taking but him. very strong for a young man though wasnt he. unfortunately he may have been the most gifted and greatest footballer ever but he took away peoples opportunity to fairly judge that.

pele on the other hand can be judged on football ability.

as for beckham - he is no Bobby Moore when it comes to being captain, perhaps he isnt a Bryan Robson when it comes to application and he isnt pele when it comes to skill BUT when it matters he steps up, he shoulders responsibility and keep an eye out for a World Cup win off a Beckham free kick <where is the 'in my dreams' smilie>.

J_NP said:
People this discussion with Pele is so out of place , dude Pelé is out of this world , in music he should be something like Elvis plus Beatles plus Sinatra , all the powers and the dones of these artists , I believe even some argentina people find it ridiculous to compare Maradona with Pele , even though it's completely needless I'm gonna say only a few things , Pele scored more than 1000 goals :ohmy: He won 3 cups for his country , plus the team of 70 is regarded as what would be in NBA the dream team , you can even put Pele out of that team , and it would be still unbeatable . and one last thing , Pele never needed to use his hands to make goals .

I'm sorry Celticfc , it seems that you are either or a argentinian or a big fan of Maradona , but he IS overrated mate , yeah sure he made a beautiful goal against England in that final , but tell me how many similar goals Ronaldo made like when he was in Barcelona ? Or even Romario or now Ronaldinho ? He was a great player , yeah sure that's a fact , but put him as #2 or 3rd best player ? That doesn't make sense , you gotta ignore players like Cruyff , Beckenbauer , Platini and so many others that I don't recall now . I would say probably Argentina had other better players , that aren't given the fame , coz they didn't appear so much in tabloids like Maradona . And Yes I've seen Maradona playing , sure it's great , but I still personally prefer like see Cruyff playing , what a player , his football and of that amazing Dutch team was beautiful , a shame Holland never won a cup , they did deserve

Edit.: Again for people who insist to put Maradona in same place of Pele , do the same of that beatles thread , if you go to a really remote place in the world , or maybe a small country in Africa ask anyone if they know Pele , they probably say "The brazilian that changed soccer " ask 'bout Maradona , I guess the ones who know him will likely say "The Argentinian player who was into cocaine ?"

got to agree with you. its about the whole package.

Pele is the worlds best however in music terms he would be U2 of course.

As for the beatles though dont get me started as I cant stand them. they are more overrated than Maradona!

Pele was great, however it can be argued he was at his peak in the 1970 World Cup . Many highly regarded sports journalists consider that side to have been the most flamboyant, skilful and devastating to have ever turned out for the worlds greatest sporting spectacle. Maradonna however won the World Cup for his country virtually singlehandedly (excuse the pun) in 86. He excelled in a team full of journeymen players. As for any ideas floating around here that his cocaine addiction gave him an unfair advantage on the field.....well....you would have to be on a drug called misinformed. Maradonna also rejuvinated the fortunes of an ailing Seria A side (Napoli) to win them two scudettos. The greatest revelation of all????? I', championing Maradonna even though im English. England 66, England 06!!!!!!!

Mate He wasn't at his peak in 70 , he was awesome , but I would definitely say that he was in 58 , When he only 17 crushed Sweeden and gave Brazil's first title , I would say that the period of 58-62 it was probably the best of Pele , not that he was bad in 70 , but in this time I said he was just , words can't explain what that man did in his national tem and in his team Santos . After this period Soccer was never the same , Pele revolutioned it .

J_NP said:

:lol:
I'm Scottish actually.

I suppose its all about opinions but its ridiculous to say he is overrated.
You ask any footballer and they will tell you Maradona is one of the greatest ever.
A lot of players have their demons ie George Best. Will he be remembered for his boozing, I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom