Die Hard Trilogy vs. The Bourne Trilogy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which is better
Die Hard 8 36.36%
Bourne 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
On the original topic...which trilogy is better?
I did in my original post.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:01 PM
And I just told somebody else to read the whole post before posting.

I feel stupid.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

But just to elaborate,

The original Die Hard is an amazing film. Commanding performances by both Willis and Rickman, with a real chemistry between them. The action was memorable and well choreographed, and the pacing kept things taught without being overwhelming. And the best part about it, and where the two sequels fail miserably, Die Hard's script was tight, lean, and told a unique story with the right amount of humor, while adhering to its own internal logic.

Die Hard 2 was just plain bad, and Die Hard 3 has several huge flaws that personally keep it out of the "Good" area of my rating gauge.

As for Bourne,

The Bourne Identity remains one of my favorite action or espionage films ever made. Everything was in perfect balance, much like Die Hard, and introduced a fascinating new spy Universe that was driven by visceral, imaginative, and grounded action. It was also a beautiful film to watch, which was lost in Greengrass's sequels.

But unlike the Die Hard sequels, the Bourne series remained grounded in its own sensibilities, even if the second film suffered from a messy script. the consistancy undoubtedly owes a lot to the source material, but regardless of the reasons, it's still a more solid franchise as a whole. As seen by my score, I easily regard The Identity as the best of the trilogy, but The Ultimatum was a remarkably thrilling and decently satisfying conclusion.

Bourne wins for me, if only for the greater consistency and more admirable filmmaking in later installments.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
Refugee

I'd go with Die Hard. The action is ridiculous in both. While Die Hard contains some cheesy dialogue and self-conscious heroism, especially in the newest one, I just find Maclaine to be more enjoyable and emotionally thrilling. I just don't care too much about the overly serious, emotionless Bourne. I just don't find the Bourne films as much fun and somewhat repetitive in that I never sympathize with Bourne the way I do Maclaine.

Then again, my first (and one of my few) diary entry at age 8 in the late 80s was about watching Die Hard with my family when my father came home to be with us for a brief period away from work. So, the franchise always reminds me of us all hudled together in front of the TV, which we don't do as often anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of either franchise, but my big brother loves both, so it's all good.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

It's also (completely not) worth noting that Jason Bourne could totally kick John McClane's ass in any situation.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
It's also (completely not) worth noting that Jason Bourne could totally kick John McClane's ass in any situation.
What!? Well......(searches for comeback)...McClaine is more fun to be around.....a-a-AND he has the ability to jump out of the range of explosions in the nick of time. Maclaine also shoots first, while Bourne would worry about his existential place in life... Bourne also volunteered for an evil program in the first place, while MacClaine runs into trouble. Therefore, Maclaine is more likely to go to heaven and have God on his side.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Hehe.

Very true, except for the shooting first. You know damn well Jason Bourne has near super-human reflexes.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Hehe.

Very true, except for the shooting first. You know damn well Jason Bourne has near super-human reflexes.
Ah, you got me there... but Maclaine could frighten him with his attitude and threats! Yippee kayay! Bourne would either be frightened or midly seduced by his outrageousness.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Bourne would probably assess him as a madman, then proceed to kill him with the nearest hardbound book.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Bourne would probably assess him as a madman, then proceed to kill him with the nearest hardbound book.
He'd feel sorry for him and walk away, as Maclaine lay drenched in blood from a beating Bourne had given him, and then MacClaine would shout and yell and get the drop on him.

It's been fun, Lancemc. I have to get down to some schoolwork now, or maybe sleep. Take care!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

This is the dumbest poll thread since my "The Edge vs. Eddie van Halen" comparison.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Yeah, sorry I try to offer discussions more interesting than "Britney Spears shaves her head again! How does this affect your life!?"

Are there any other belated birthday presents you are ready to post about?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 AM
I enjoy both, but I'd give a slight nudge to Die Hard. It gave the idea so many of the action movies later copied, and a more real and relatable character in McClane. No. 1 and 3 (the best script I've ever seen in action movies) are still at the top of action movies. It could be said both films "sell" the same idea 3 times but do so intelligently.

Though I think a James Bond movies/Bourne (Mission:impossible) movies comparison may be better, since they're both spy thriller movies more than straight action movies.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
This is the dumbest poll thread since my "The Edge vs. Eddie van Halen" comparison.
I don't think I voted in that one Who won that anyway?

I voted for Die Hard by the way...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

the bourne identity was baaaad ass... and i fully enjoyed the bourne supremecy as well. the bourne ultimatum? not so much. it was alright, but i thought the ending was just silly.

now there are a bunch of things in the die hard movies that are silly. the difference, of course, is that there are supposed to be silly things in the die hard movies, where as the bourne movies are supposed to be more real.

die hard gets the nod.

plus, live free or die hard was just so bad ass that die hard gets bonus points, even though i was told not to count. i need to count it... it was f'ing awesome.