Die, Drôme Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start using the word "retro" more often on this forum. It's a word with no definitive meaning, so I can never use it incorrectly. :cute:

So Nam's list is something I enjoy more, but it doesn't flow* so well.

*wtf

His symphonic album game list cracked me up. The songs were good, but he wrote up this 200 page thesis paper for it that couldn't have had less to do with the songs themselves.

It's a lot like the Fake List paragraph I sent you. :shifty:

His symphonic album game list cracked me up. The songs were good, but he wrote up this 200 page thesis paper for it that couldn't have had less to do with the songs themselves.

It's a lot like the Fake List paragraph I sent you. :shifty:

And he got pissed when people said they weren't sure about his concept because "I wrote way more than anyone else; how much more do you want?"

Also, his last lacked cohesiveness.

And he got pissed when people said they weren't sure about his concept because "I wrote way more than anyone else; how much more do you want?"

Also, his last lacked cohesiveness.

:lol: Right. He thought that people were thinking his paragraph was too vague or something, but the problem was that it just went on and on and on and on...

And yes, it was a list of (I know this will piss you off, but...) greatest hits, strung together in a very scattered manner.

Speaking of flow. Thanks to you lot, I've borrowed the first Dune book from my boyfriend. To be read after I finish rereading Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower 4, Stephen King)

Also, hey :wave: Are you STILL up, Ashley?!

:lol: Right. He thought that people were thinking his paragraph was too vague or something, but the problem was that it just went on and on and on and on...

And yes, it was a list of (I know this will piss you off, but...) greatest hits, strung together in a very scattered manner.

That's pretty much this list. I love it, but it's so scattered.

He broke it down, track by track. I remember thinking, "Wow, he took this too literally..." and it was my first time involved in DI in any way.

I made greatest hits flow*. That's where it's at.

I just didn't like when a certain someone said that the greatest hits comment was a suggestion, and then went on to say, had I used less greatest hits, that he would have voted for me.

*WTF?

Pfan, I'm definitely taking you up on your offer to help out with the Fake List's lyrics. Unless I come up with something absolutely hilarious on the very first draft, anyway.

Pfan, I'm definitely taking you up on your offer to help out with the Fake List's lyrics. Unless I come up with something absolutely hilarious on the very first draft, anyway.

You send me the music, I'll write the words. Sounds like a plan. All I want is credit and compensation in the form of those big checks they give to charity.

You send me the music, I'll write the words. Sounds like a plan. All I want is credit and compensation in the form of those big checks they give to charity.

So we have a Elton John/Bernie Taupin thing going here?

Just don't write anything as lame as Can You Feel The Love Tonight and you're on.

Seriously though, how on earth are bands like The Cure and Joy Division retro? New wave I can see, but punk and post-punk? Just because new wave evolved out of it doesn't mean it too is retro.

See, if somebody pitches something to me as retro, I'm going to automatically expect some kind of cheesy synth-heavy shit that went #1 in 1979.

Why on earth is Interference making up its own definition of retro then? I might as well start passing off my Dunedin Sound stuff as prog then.

You'll find that a lot of music web sites traditionally lump punk and new wave together. I obviously posted the allmusic one before as that page pretty much summed up what I was looking to do for this.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4491

And as I said before, Retro is quite the broad term that is used for lots of different things, and while it is indeed more closely associated with New Wave, it works here because, as I already stated, it gets put together with punk and post-punk quite often.

And calling it Retro Island certainly sounds a hell of a lot better than New Wave Island.

As punk, post-punk, and new wave kind of show the evolution of a certain type of music, creating this loose concept isn't really that far-fetched. We certainly stretched the boundries some with certain selections for Prog Island. It's not always black and white.

All in good fun anyway.

I've got a song fully written musically and I'm at a complete mental block on lyrics for. I've gotta break past that.

When the idea was originally floated, the genre's and sub-genre's allowed were pretty clear, I thought. And it was a pretty broad spectrum. I think you even posted a fairly large list of bands considered acceptable. I think the name Retro Island was taken too literally. I think Axver started people down that road :wink:. The word Retro was never meant to be the only genre used, just the name of the game.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

When the idea was originally floated, the genre's and sub-genre's allowed were pretty clear, I thought. And it was a pretty broad spectrum. I think you even posted a fairly large list of bands considered acceptable. I think the name Retro Island was taken too literally. I think Axver started people down that road :wink:. The word Retro was never meant to be the only genre used, just the name of the game.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

No, that's pretty much it. Retro just sounds better.

Anyway, no big deal. Just wanted to make sure Axver understood where I was coming from, as he seems to be a bit perplexed by the whole thing.

Then again, anyone who says Train In Vain sucks and the album London Calling is bloated is a force to be reckoned with. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom