Die, Drôme Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Em Gee, there was a drink at the gas station that advertised that it tasted exactly like an orange float. I was skeptical. Holy Crap, it tastes EXACTLY like an orange float.

An orange float? All I can imagine here is a float in a parade painted orange.

AAAAAANNND. I know that a lot of people didn't like that the Killers randomly changed sounds between their first and second album, but I mean, change is good people. You gotta let branching out occur. I wish U2 would realize they don't have to be "The biggest band in the world" where did that fucking mentality even come from anyways. I feel like it's from the moment I heard that phrase dropped, U2 changed. And I do blame it all on flipping Larry and McGuine$$. Why don't they WANT to do something crazy and unexpected? Do tehy really need the money? Really?

Yeah, I just don't get it. I mean, they're such a huge band that they could produce ANYTHING. They could tour and still play to audiences larger than almost any other band on earth could expect EVEN IF THE NEW ALBUM SOLD TEN COPIES. And what would be so terrible if they somehow did become so unpopular that they have to go back to 5,000 seater theatres in some markets? You'd think they're sensible enough to have their money properly invested and never need to worry about a paycheque ever again, and smaller crowds, smaller concerts are far better than stadium shows for all concerned. Except maybe Bono's ego and McGuinne$$'s greed.

oh, i taped it too! then the sweetest thing came out :doh: but i still have both versions of that single :uhoh: oh believe me, i was! i'd go to record stores and track down every version of their pop singles, etc.

hehe, i know! i didn't think it was that bad. but i was also 13 when it aired, and i haven't watched it since...i was 14! :lol:

:laugh: What did you make of Sweetest Thing when it came out? That's actually the first U2 single I can remember coming out - obviously I knew the others when they came out, but I wasn't aware in the sense of "oh, U2 released this last week!" I wasn't wild about Sweetest Thing, but the Best Of 1980-1990 ruled my 11 year old world.

Yeah, I just don't get it. I mean, they're such a huge band that they could produce ANYTHING. They could tour and still play to audiences larger than almost any other band on earth could expect EVEN IF THE NEW ALBUM SOLD TEN COPIES. And what would be so terrible if they somehow did become so unpopular that they have to go back to 5,000 seater theatres in some markets? You'd think they're sensible enough to have their money properly invested and never need to worry about a paycheque ever again, and smaller crowds, smaller concerts are far better than stadium shows for all concerned. Except maybe Bono's ego and McGuinne$$'s greed.
me either. i mean, zooropa and pop didn't sell well but they were still playing to huuuuuge sold out stadiums, arenas, whatever at the time. zooropa i can see being excused because technically zoo tv/zooropa was like one huge non-stop tour. but pop? no. i love the album, but still. that tour just shows their staying power as a live act. the first leg shows were iffy in regards to ticket sales, but the rest? great.

ahh and i prefer morning showers. it wakes me up :up: i used to take evening ones and then on days i'd wash my hair it'd dry while i slept and look weird. for someone who doesn't style it, it's an annoyance :lol:

Oh, I fucking hate sleeping with wet hair. I always shower at least an hour or two before I go to bed, so that it dries.

:laugh: What did you make of Sweetest Thing when it came out? That's actually the first U2 single I can remember coming out - obviously I knew the others when they came out, but I wasn't aware in the sense of "oh, U2 released this last week!" I wasn't wild about Sweetest Thing, but the Best Of 1980-1990 ruled my 11 year old world.
i was like "why'd they have to go and rerecord it? :depressed:"

but the b-sides were :drool: this was back when we had an oooold comp and i couldn't download mp3s (they'd skip) so i had to listen to stuff online (meaning what i didn't own) using....wait for it...REAL AUDIO. i heard a few old U2 shows that way, and i was stoked to have some of the songs.

i got a better computer (one that could play mp3s) just in time for napster :drool:

me either. i mean, zooropa and pop didn't sell well but they were still playing to huuuuuge sold out stadiums, arenas, whatever at the time. zooropa i can see being excused because technically zoo tv/zooropa was like one huge non-stop tour. but pop? no. i love the album, but still. that tour just shows their staying power as a live act. the first leg shows were iffy in regards to ticket sales, but the rest? great.

Exactly. U2 could release acoustic tribal chants of the south Atlantic Ocean islands and they'd still play to packed stadiums.

An orange float? All I can imagine here is a float in a parade painted orange.

Have you ever heard of a root beer float? You put rootbeer and a scoop of ice cream in a glass together, and you create deliciousness? This is the same thing, but with Orange soda.

Ok, I hate to play the Tom Petty card, but bear with me. He released an album this year with the band he started out with (they never got signed so they never released the album) but most of that band (Mudcrutch) is IN the Heartbreakers, not to mention the fact that tom Petty plays his solo material on Heartbreaker tours as well, and they didn't play A SINGLE TRACK from Tom's new album.

So U2, I ask you, what would be the harm if it's not a radio friendly best seller? What ? Nothing, absolutely positivifreakinlutely nothing. All of Tom's shows sold out, even though, the album wasn't a HUGE success (not that it did badly either).

And don't even get me started on Arena vs. Stadium. Why anyone would think a stadium show is a good idea is beyond me.

U2 hold the world record for the largest paying audience to see a single act with no support. What tour did they set the record? POPMART. FOR THE SO-CALLED FLOP ALBUM. 150,000 at Reggio Emilia, and probably a few more thousand illegally sneaking in. So much for Popmart being a failure of a tour. U2 were guaranteed US$100 million for that tour. Any loss would have been incurred by the promoter. Guess what? U2 got their hundred million and the promoter pocketed a cool million for themselves even after all expenses were paid.

If the next album is just Edge reciting Pi, Bono reading the phone book, Adam giving a lecture on spoonology, and Larry repeatedly mumbling "fuck off and die", U2 could still play arenas in the US and stadiums in Europe.

But with you, nobody has to know.

I'm wondering how long I can go before I decide I look like an ass and shave.
true, but i wear shorts now cuz it's hot outside. so people could see stubble :hmm: or if someone brushed against my leg? OW.

i make it a habit to never raise my arms so no one would notice that, though. i could go all hippie tree-hugger and no one would know :lol: but i won't :uhoh:

U2 hold the world record for the largest paying audience to see a single act with no support. What tour did they set the record? POPMART. FOR THE SO-CALLED FLOP ALBUM. 150,000 at Reggio Emilia, and probably a few more thousand illegally sneaking in. So much for Popmart being a failure of a tour. U2 were guaranteed US$100 million for that tour. Any loss would have been incurred by the promoter. Guess what? U2 got their hundred million and the promoter pocketed a cool million for themselves even after all expenses were paid.

If the next album is just Edge reciting Pi, Bono reading the phone book, Adam giving a lecture on spoonology, and Larry repeatedly mumbling "fuck off and die", U2 could still play arenas in the US and stadiums in Europe.
ooh jawsome, i didn't know they didn't have an opener then. that's a neat record to have. and like you said, further proof they're fine for touring.

i was like "why'd they have to go and rerecord it? :depressed:"

but the b-sides were :drool: this was back when we had an oooold comp and i couldn't download mp3s (they'd skip) so i had to listen to stuff online (meaning what i didn't own) using....wait for it...REAL AUDIO. i heard a few old U2 shows that way, and i was stoked to have some of the songs.

i got a better computer (one that could play mp3s) just in time for napster :drool:

I must admit, I prefer the re-recorded Sweetest Thing. It's never been a favourite track of mine. JT had far better b-sides than it.

Holy shit, REAL AUDIO? Fucking dark ages! :yikes:

ooh jawsome, i didn't know they didn't have an opener then. that's a neat record to have. and like you said, further proof they're fine for touring.

Yeah, the "opening act" was just Howie B mixing shit rather than any actual support band.

U2 never ever needs to worry about pulling a live crowd. Sure, a few shit albums and they would probably have to tone things down to arenas, but they could still tour very profitably to very enthusiastic audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom