did you have weird thoughts as a kid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmacphisto

Refugee
Oh yes, I was a strange kid. I used to think drains were very scary, and would make my mom put a bathmat over the drain before i would take a bath. dont even talk to me about pool drains!
And I thought WW3 could start at anytime, and thought a missile could fit through our bedroom window.
A more normal thought(for a kid) was thinking there was something hiding in the closet or under the bed.
And I thought for sure that I wasnt human. I was an animal.
biggrin.gif

When i was really little, my imaginary playmate was a vampire.
eek.gif

I was weird then...I'm even weirder now.
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

I grew up with a weird mom. She used to hide in the closet and scare the shit out of me by jumping out of it (after I looked around for her for what seemed like minutes on end!). She also used to turn the basement light off from upstairs whenever I was down there for something by myself. To this day I'm scared to be in a basement without having the lights on.
tongue.gif

I was a weird kid, too...I used to be afraid of a painting in our local library. It was huge and we had to walk these steps up to get to the children's section, and I would always walk on the furthest side from the painting I could get.

Go ahead and laugh now. I dare you.

------------------
Cut out the poetry
Let's hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colour's all run out of me

I thought that you could fix tape with everything. Not even masking, or duct tape. I thought that scotch tape (the small clear kind) could fix broken cars, buildings, roads, even bones. My parents tease me about it to this day. I'll break a dish, and they will tell me to tape it up!!!

I also had a fear of fish. Which is funny enough, but my fear was of dead fish. If I was in the fish section of a pet store I couldn't put my hands in my pocket because I would feel slimy, dead fish in there.

Well, I use to watch America's Most Wanted and Unsolved Mysteries with my dad when I was little. It freaked the s*** out of me. I use to go and turn on my bedroom light during commercial, or even between shows. That way I wouldn't have to go in my dark room after the two hours of terror.
I had two imaginary friends, but for the life of me I can't remember their names.
I'm gonna have to try and think back to those days.

when i moved back to the US i started school in late fall, and didn't really know anyone and hadn't been to kindergarten in the US and didn't know too many American customs (yet)

so on the last day of class before Thanksgiving, all parents were invited in to celebrate our "thanksgiving meal."

we had to name different foods that the pilgrims ate. Everyone named all the foods they knew, like turkey and stuff, and then weird kids said things like Pizza and ice cream. and i tried really hard to think of what pilgrims would eat in colonial days and I shouted "wildcat" and everyone laughed at me. even the teacher. and my parents. and everyone else's parents.

it was a harsh lesson. i hate thanksgiving and those fat, rosy-cheeked paper pilgrims that are hung in schools. but some of you may already know that....

O....they haven't gone away.

------------------
~*Mona*~ LOVE me, give me SOUL

Wildcat!
BUWAHAHA!!!! LMAO elizabeth!

You know what my parents did when I was afraid of something in the closet or under the bed at night? They would spray "monster spray" all around...and it was strange, as I got older I began to think "monster spray" smelled a lot like lysol
biggrin.gif

But I still keep a can around just in case
wink.gif

Hehe...my brothers and I would also have puppet shows and we would make up tickets and signs advertising it (to put up in our house). We would make our parents come and watch....the problem was that our puppet shows usually didn't have puppets and never had any semblance of a script
biggrin.gif

No wonder my parents came up with "monster spray"
wink.gif

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I used to think I was an alien. I used to have an imaginary friend, who grew so real that he sometimes posts in place of me.

I thought boys weren't allowed to have blond hair. Any boys who did have blond hair were "weird" (my mom, my sis, and I are blond, but my dad had brown hair, so I thought all boys were supposed to have brown hair and all girls blond).

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

I had too many fuxored thoughts while growing up so I won't post them here. Some of them were downright terrifying.

But I will say one thing that my family always found kind of cute. When I was in kindergarten our class had many kids from different countries, or parents who were from different countries. Our teacher decided to put on a presentation where each of us children would dress the traditional garb of the country we hailed from. Also, we had to bring in a special dish of food that represented our cutlure. Along with that we each gave a small speech explaining about that country, and in the native tongue of each country we were assigned to, we counted to 10. As a class we presented it to the whole school. It was actually a great little presentation for a kindergarten class and probably one of the best things a teacher ever did to bring social and cultural awareness to the classroom especially for kids so young.

The local cryer got wind that we were doing this presentation and got ahold of the local news, along with the local papers, and did a write up on us. Some of us were interviewed for the paper, that was so exciting for us children!

I represented Russian-Jew, since that's mainly where my family hailed from. When I was being interviewed I blurted out that I thought my dog must be part Jewish as well. It's funny, I remember saying that - and I have the newspaper clipping to prove it. Needless to say my family got a kick out of me saying that our dog was Jewish.

When I was a kid, I thought that a first name belonged only to one person. I remember meeting this kid named Patric and telling him that it wasn't HIS name, it was my brother's. I think I made him cry or something. I also loved to wash chalkboards.

[This message has been edited by Bbug (edited 01-16-2002).]

Or what myths did you grow up with?

- In kindergarten, whenever we kids saw a helicopter or plane fly by, we would ALL stop our playing in the playground and wave to the copters/planes, saying, "Bye Mom! Bye Dad!" because for some reason, all of us naturally assumed our parents went to work by plane. I remember our teachers always holding back their laughs when we did that.

- My mental image of God was a military guy wearing a uniform (disruptive pattern material), standing on the tallest mountain in the world and looking through a big telescope. That's how he kept an eye on every soul on the planet.

- Because I had many nightmares about vampires, my mother would always tell me to shout out God's name (or her name!) in my dream, or say something like "This isn't a dream"; then my nightmare would end. Well, I admit, once I called out God's name and the dream ended. But another time, I was trapped in a kitchen in my nightmare, and I opened the door only to see a tall, scary, lady vampire staring back at me. I said confidently, "This isn't a dream and you're not really here!" and SHE DIDN'T MOVE. So, I quickly scrambled under a table. In my dream.

Ok that's enough, I guess.

foray

Originally posted by Knute Rockne:
I didn't know that a tuna fish sandwich actually contained fish.

-Knute
I literally just learned last year that cole slaw is made out of CABBAGE, not lettuce.

I HATE CABBAGE!!!! But I loveth the slaw....

------------------

I got lost in the Netherlands!!

You can dream,
But you can never go back the way you came

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
I used to think that cats were girls, and dogs were boys
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why that's so funny to me!! LMAO!!!! My friends and I used to pretend to be animals....em...

------------------

I got lost in the Netherlands!!

You can dream,
But you can never go back the way you came

I used to think that road-signs with a arrow pointing straight were actually pointing up towards the sky...you know, for all the cars with wings...

I also was really scared of getting trapped inside the fridge. I think this was inspired by an episode of Punky Brewster.

I was such a strange child...

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:

I also was really scared of getting trapped inside the fridge. I think this was inspired by an episode of Punky Brewster.

[/B]

I SAW THAT EPISODE!!!!! didn't cheri get stuck inside or something? while they were playing hide n seek???

and did you know soleil moon frye was on an episode of friends? she played the tiny girl who kept hitting Joey and no one believed she was actually hurting him. then rachel gave her a good kick....well, that's basically the whole episode.

i asked my mom about this, and she gave me two more:

1. I used to think the priest in church was God. They always said it was "god's house" and the priest was always there, ergo...

2. When i was finally old enough to understand what was being said at mass, it was very traumatic. Theree is this one part where they say "God has died..."

and with me thinking the priest was god and all, it was very upsetting and I screamed, "Mommy! GOD HAS DIED!" and burst into tears. Me and God (the priest) were buds, and to hear about his death like that was quite a shock....

Originally posted by elizabeth:
I SAW THAT EPISODE!!!!! didn't cheri get stuck inside or something? while they were playing hide n seek???

Yes, that's the episode!! LOL! I was so obsessed with that show when I was a kid. I mean, I wanted to *be* Punky Brewster. Fortunately, my mother refused to let me dress like that. There was far too much hot pink in that girl's wardrobe
wink.gif

Originally posted by elizabeth:
and did you know soleil moon frye was on an episode of friends? she played the tiny girl who kept hitting Joey and no one believed she was actually hurting him. then rachel gave her a good kick....well, that's basically the whole episode.

Ha! I did see that one. Through the whole episode, I just kept thinking "Heh heh, that's Punky Brewster." I'm far too easily amused...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom