Did you get your flu shot yet? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Did you get your shot?
Yes 17 37.78%
No 21 46.67%
I never get sick 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #31
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 10:55 AM
I've never had the flu shot.

I figure I ate enough dirt and stuff as a kid to make my immune system super tough

Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cinnaminson
I figure I ate enough dirt and stuff as a kid to make my immune system super tough

It seems few kids are allowed to do stuff like that anymore. It probably sounds weird, but I can't help but feel a bit sorry for them.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Well, with the flu you have to take into account that the makeup of the virus changes every year, and there are several different flu viruses around.
Yes, it helps when you got a little dirty as a child and your parents didn't kill any possible bacteria or virus that may be around.
On the other hand some people nevertheless get sick regularly.
And the flu shot only protects you against one form of the virus but not all the others, which doesn't make you "bullet proof" against a flu. However, I wouldn't call it a crapshot, except you are perfectly healthy and don't care about a flu anyways. It really helps reduce the number of infections each year. And if you are having any health problems that make any cold or flu an even inconvenient story, and you have no problems with the vaccine, I think it's highly recommendable.

Asthma also is a disease that can be caused by too much hygiene in your childhood, yet this is just one of many reasons and I can say with me it's not the reason at all.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Took mine this morning.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Got mine last month. If I don't get one I get really sick because of some medical problems
Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

And the flu shot only protects you against one form of the virus but not all the others, which doesn't make you "bullet proof" against a flu. However, I wouldn't call it a crapshot, except you are perfectly healthy and don't care about a flu anyways. It really helps reduce the number of infections each year. And if you are having any health problems that make any cold or flu an even inconvenient story, and you have no problems with the vaccine, I think it's highly recommendable.
Actually it doesn't protect you from one form of the virus only. It protects you from several variants. I can't remember off the top of my head but they include the types of the major influenza epidemics + the mathematical model. It is a crapshoot, because it's based on a mathematical prediction of how the virus is going to mutate. I used to work at the Department of Immunology at the 3rd ranked pediatric hospital in the world and not a single immunologist there elected to vaccinate themselves, so that should probably suggest something to you.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:55 PM
I never used to get sick until I started teaching and was surrounded by all the germy little bastards parents didn't let stay home.

I after my first year teaching I've gotten one every year since.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
.... surrounded by all the germy little bastards.......

Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
You'd be amazed at how vitamins actually work.

I also like Zicam and Airborne when I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I never used to get sick until I started teaching and was surrounded by all the germy little bastards parents didn't let stay home.

I after my first year teaching I've gotten one every year since.

I totally agree! I used to work for the public schools and could not believe how many sick kids were in school daily. Really sick kids! And the schools send home info in the beginning of the year with all these guidelines about keeping your kids home when they are sick. BUT they hand out these idiotic perfect attendance awards monthly and applaud and reward kids with perfect attendance (who did not miss any days each month) meanwhile I get a letter from the counselor at school saying they need to meet with me to discuss the serious problem I have with my childrens attendance (they had each missed 3 or 4 days in a semester, because they were sick from flus they brought home from school! )
That counselor was sorry he ever signed that letter.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Actually it doesn't protect you from one form of the virus only. It protects you from several variants. I can't remember off the top of my head but they include the types of the major influenza epidemics + the mathematical model. It is a crapshoot, because it's based on a mathematical prediction of how the virus is going to mutate. I used to work at the Department of Immunology at the 3rd ranked pediatric hospital in the world and not a single immunologist there elected to vaccinate themselves, so that should probably suggest something to you.
Ah, more than one, ok.

Hm, I've read an article by an immunologist and he did admit that it's not the best protection, but nevertheless recommendable for those who should be more cautious about flus and colds.

Anyways, I take the shot because of my asthma, I never experience any side effects of the vaccine and I don't pay for it. That's included in the health insurance.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
I said yes cuz I'm getting it tomorrow!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I love needles But don't need a flu shot. I never get sick. Worst I have is losing my voice for a week
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

In my 42yrs of life.. I have never had the flu or taken the flu shot nor will I ever..
Old 11-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't had the flu for a few years now. I owe it to the chewable Vitamin C tablet I take every single morning.