Did Bono contradict his 1993 self? Interesting ZooTV quote... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
[B
sorry dude, but this is ridiculous. Talking about Pearl Jam, or you just don't like them, or you know nothing about their music. Listen to Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, or even the last album, and tell me how songs like Black, Release, Leash, Porch, Unemployable, Inside Job, Faithful, Nothingman, Immortality, Corduroy, Present Tense, In My Tree, In Hiding, ... fit into "loud guitar that sounds of nothing but distortion in a bad way", or "very few listenable notes". Same for Alice in Chains. [/B]
Nice list MacPhistoPT but you forgot Crazy Mary, Indifference, Light Years and Yellow Ledbedder. Pearl Jam has so much great music that given a proper listen, they could hook just about everyone.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MacPhistoPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 3,893
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Crazy Mary it's a cover they do, but great anyway.

that list of songs I used in the last post was pretty random. yellow ledbetter, i got shit, nothing as it seems, thumbing my way, low light...

they've got so many incredible stuff... that's why it's a shame to label them with "grunge"

I was just reading this thread (quite interesting so far btw) but I can't help posting when I saw my favorite band being mistreated... I like nirvana too, but PJ are 100000 times superior. I hate when people say "Nirvana and Pearl Jam"
__________________

__________________
MacPhistoPT is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 AM
No Code is a crap album and so is Yield, they should have Yielded that album before they even started making it. I havent heard the latest album so I cant comment on it. Honestly I tried to give Pearl Jam a chance because so many people said oh they are so great but I still fail to see the greatness of it really.
__________________
Yahweh is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #49
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
The Pixies aren't grunge. And neither are the Smashing Pumpkins.

Carry on.
I think The Smashing Pumpkins' first album bordered on the grunge barrier, but the rest are more shoegazing, then weird Corgantastic stuff afterwards.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
Crazy Mary it's a cover they do, but great anyway.

that list of songs I used in the last post was pretty random. yellow ledbetter, i got shit, nothing as it seems, thumbing my way, low light...

they've got so many incredible stuff... that's why it's a shame to label them with "grunge"

I was just reading this thread (quite interesting so far btw) but I can't help posting when I saw my favorite band being mistreated...
Crazy Mary is a cover? Wow, it's like 409 all other again.

The Smashing Pumpkins are my band and I don't like the attacks on thier lack of creativity. Albums like Melan Collie And The Infinite Sadness, Siamese Dream, and Adore are something very special. Nirvana gets alot of the attention from the media but I think in the next decade Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins will be the bands remembered from the decade.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
The Smashing Pumpkins are my band and I don't like the attacks on thier lack of creativity. Albums like Melan Collie And The Infinite Sadness, Siamese Dream, and Adore are something very special. Nirvana gets alot of the attention from the media but I think in the next decade Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins will be the bands remembered from the decade.


I fucking love the Pumpkins, and think that Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, and even Michael Stipe of R.E.M. are criminally underrated when talking about the '90s music scene.

Everyone's too busy up Kurt Cobain's ass to see anything different.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Probably the thing I hate the most about Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedders, what I would call "tribal chant" voice, while unique it gets very annoying.

Smashing Pumpkins made one grunge album and it was the first one the others they made moved on from that and thats why they are more well respected now, then they would have been if they stayed with the sound of Bullet With Butterfly Wings.
__________________
Yahweh is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Just as a general question, do you think the Nirvana love would have begun to slow or completely stop if Kurt Cobain hadn't committed suicide?
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MacPhistoPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 3,893
Local Time: 10:40 AM
I guess they would go downhill. I really like "In Utero" and their MTV Unplugged, but I guess they wouldn't go much higher than that.
__________________
MacPhistoPT is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MacPhistoPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 3,893
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
No Code is a crap album and so is Yield, they should have Yielded that album before they even started making it. I havent heard the latest album so I cant comment on it. Honestly I tried to give Pearl Jam a chance because so many people said oh they are so great but I still fail to see the greatness of it really.
Well, No Code and Yield are just my 2 favourite albums. I'm not saying that they are the greatest albums ever, far from that, but they are the 2 albums that I have most pleasure listening to, up there with the joshua tree, achtung baby, dark side of the moon, the bends, ...

so I guess we should end the argument here about pearl jam we'll never agree, that's for sure
__________________
MacPhistoPT is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Just as a general question, do you think the Nirvana love would have begun to slow or completely stop if Kurt Cobain hadn't committed suicide?
of course, since every artist (music, art, whatever) gets infinite amounts of postmortem success.

Cobain is just one of the ones I don't feel deserves all of the praise.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


I think The Smashing Pumpkins' first album bordered on the grunge barrier, but the rest are more shoegazing, then weird Corgantastic stuff afterwards.
1979 rocks!1

thanx buddy
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
MacPhistoPT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 3,893
Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto


of course, since every artist (music, art, whatever) gets infinite amounts of postmortem success.

Cobain is just one of the ones I don't feel deserves all of the praise.
They were huge by the time he died. But I guess that if they were still around they would be less popular than Pearl Jam are now.

Or not...

Alice in Chains were buried since 1996, and now they've started touring with another singer, and it has been totally awesome. Their show here in Portugal was totally mad, it was a festival but there was lots and lots of people there just to see them. It was surely one of the gigs of my life...
__________________
MacPhistoPT is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #59
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT


They were huge by the time he died. But I guess that if they were still around they would be less popular than Pearl Jam are now.

Or not...

Alice in Chains were buried since 1996, and now they've started touring with another singer, and it has been totally awesome. Their show here in Portugal was totally mad, it was a festival but there was lots and lots of people there just to see them. It was surely one of the gigs of my life...
Yes, but they probably would've faded with the times or maybe adapted into something listenable.

Alice in Chains' Unplugged album is just beautiful, I need to check out more of their stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22


1979 rocks!1

thanx buddy
np, have you checked out any of their other stuff?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto




np, have you checked out any of their other stuff?
yea I bought Mellon Collie and I'm liking it
__________________

__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com