Did Bono contradict his 1993 self? Interesting ZooTV quote... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
[B
sorry dude, but this is ridiculous. Talking about Pearl Jam, or you just don't like them, or you know nothing about their music. Listen to Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, or even the last album, and tell me how songs like Black, Release, Leash, Porch, Unemployable, Inside Job, Faithful, Nothingman, Immortality, Corduroy, Present Tense, In My Tree, In Hiding, ... fit into "loud guitar that sounds of nothing but distortion in a bad way", or "very few listenable notes". Same for Alice in Chains. [/B]
Nice list MacPhistoPT but you forgot Crazy Mary, Indifference, Light Years and Yellow Ledbedder. Pearl Jam has so much great music that given a proper listen, they could hook just about everyone.

Old 08-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Crazy Mary it's a cover they do, but great anyway.

that list of songs I used in the last post was pretty random. yellow ledbetter, i got shit, nothing as it seems, thumbing my way, low light...

they've got so many incredible stuff... that's why it's a shame to label them with "grunge"

I was just reading this thread (quite interesting so far btw) but I can't help posting when I saw my favorite band being mistreated... I like nirvana too, but PJ are 100000 times superior. I hate when people say "Nirvana and Pearl Jam"

Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

No Code is a crap album and so is Yield, they should have Yielded that album before they even started making it. I havent heard the latest album so I cant comment on it. Honestly I tried to give Pearl Jam a chance because so many people said oh they are so great but I still fail to see the greatness of it really.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #49
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
The Pixies aren't grunge. And neither are the Smashing Pumpkins.

Carry on.
I think The Smashing Pumpkins' first album bordered on the grunge barrier, but the rest are more shoegazing, then weird Corgantastic stuff afterwards.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Crazy Mary it's a cover they do, but great anyway.

that list of songs I used in the last post was pretty random. yellow ledbetter, i got shit, nothing as it seems, thumbing my way, low light...

they've got so many incredible stuff... that's why it's a shame to label them with "grunge"

I was just reading this thread (quite interesting so far btw) but I can't help posting when I saw my favorite band being mistreated...
Crazy Mary is a cover? Wow, it's like 409 all other again.

The Smashing Pumpkins are my band and I don't like the attacks on thier lack of creativity. Albums like Melan Collie And The Infinite Sadness, Siamese Dream, and Adore are something very special. Nirvana gets alot of the attention from the media but I think in the next decade Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins will be the bands remembered from the decade.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
The Smashing Pumpkins are my band and I don't like the attacks on thier lack of creativity. Albums like Melan Collie And The Infinite Sadness, Siamese Dream, and Adore are something very special. Nirvana gets alot of the attention from the media but I think in the next decade Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins will be the bands remembered from the decade.

I fucking love the Pumpkins, and think that Billy Corgan, Eddie Vedder, and even Michael Stipe of R.E.M. are criminally underrated when talking about the '90s music scene.

Everyone's too busy up Kurt Cobain's ass to see anything different.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Probably the thing I hate the most about Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedders, what I would call "tribal chant" voice, while unique it gets very annoying.

Smashing Pumpkins made one grunge album and it was the first one the others they made moved on from that and thats why they are more well respected now, then they would have been if they stayed with the sound of Bullet With Butterfly Wings.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Just as a general question, do you think the Nirvana love would have begun to slow or completely stop if Kurt Cobain hadn't committed suicide?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I guess they would go downhill. I really like "In Utero" and their MTV Unplugged, but I guess they wouldn't go much higher than that.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
No Code is a crap album and so is Yield, they should have Yielded that album before they even started making it. I havent heard the latest album so I cant comment on it. Honestly I tried to give Pearl Jam a chance because so many people said oh they are so great but I still fail to see the greatness of it really.
Well, No Code and Yield are just my 2 favourite albums. I'm not saying that they are the greatest albums ever, far from that, but they are the 2 albums that I have most pleasure listening to, up there with the joshua tree, achtung baby, dark side of the moon, the bends, ...

so I guess we should end the argument here about pearl jam we'll never agree, that's for sure
Old 08-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Just as a general question, do you think the Nirvana love would have begun to slow or completely stop if Kurt Cobain hadn't committed suicide?
of course, since every artist (music, art, whatever) gets infinite amounts of postmortem success.

Cobain is just one of the ones I don't feel deserves all of the praise.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

I think The Smashing Pumpkins' first album bordered on the grunge barrier, but the rest are more shoegazing, then weird Corgantastic stuff afterwards.
1979 rocks!1

thanx buddy
Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

of course, since every artist (music, art, whatever) gets infinite amounts of postmortem success.

Cobain is just one of the ones I don't feel deserves all of the praise.
They were huge by the time he died. But I guess that if they were still around they would be less popular than Pearl Jam are now.

Or not...

Alice in Chains were buried since 1996, and now they've started touring with another singer, and it has been totally awesome. Their show here in Portugal was totally mad, it was a festival but there was lots and lots of people there just to see them. It was surely one of the gigs of my life...
Old 08-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #59
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

They were huge by the time he died. But I guess that if they were still around they would be less popular than Pearl Jam are now.

Or not...

Alice in Chains were buried since 1996, and now they've started touring with another singer, and it has been totally awesome. Their show here in Portugal was totally mad, it was a festival but there was lots and lots of people there just to see them. It was surely one of the gigs of my life...
Yes, but they probably would've faded with the times or maybe adapted into something listenable.

Alice in Chains' Unplugged album is just beautiful, I need to check out more of their stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

1979 rocks!1

thanx buddy
np, have you checked out any of their other stuff?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:

np, have you checked out any of their other stuff?
yea I bought Mellon Collie and I'm liking it