Did anybody here take the AP Calc test? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Did anybody here take the AP Calc test?

Just a question to see what high schoolers around here took it and I'd like to what you guys think about it (did you pass, did you think certain parts of the test were hard or whatever)

Old 05-09-2002, 02:17 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:32 PM
HA!! I didn't take a math this year at all!! That was the BEST decision I had ever made...oh man! I took the lit exam monday, and I did fabulously. I have the history tests on friday (Euro and Us history). I have bio next tuesday. So if I live till a week from now, I'm set for life.

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Old 05-09-2002, 03:21 AM   #3
Refugee

Took the AP Calc AB exam back in 1999. I thought it was not bad overall (got a 5). Just make sure you know the basics, and know the concepts very well. There's nothing too tricky, but the problems might be made out differently than you are used to seeing in class, so knowing the concepts will help. Have you gotten a hold of past AP exams? They help out a lot. Like any math class, practice is the best way to get better.

Good luck!

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 05-09-2002, 03:34 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The tests were Tuesday

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
Old 05-09-2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 PM
When I took it, rumor was that 60% was good enough for a 5.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern:
Took the AP Calc AB exam back in 1999. I thought it was not bad overall (got a 5). Just make sure you know the basics, and know the concepts very well. There's nothing too tricky, but the problems might be made out differently than you are used to seeing in class, so knowing the concepts will help. Have you gotten a hold of past AP exams? They help out a lot. Like any math class, practice is the best way to get better.

Good luck!

Dang! You're smart....I never even got to take calculus...let alone the AP exam for it...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:50 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Yay for history (I majored in history in college and will probably study it in grad school, despite it's uselessness ) and bio (the only good science )!

As for calculus, I took the AP class in high school ('98) but didn't take the test. Fortunately, my college let me bypass the math requirement because of my ACT scores. I did take statistics (as an elective for my poli sci major)in college, however. Ick. I hate math (as evidenced by my math score on the GRE ).
Old 05-09-2002, 11:29 AM   #8
Refugee

nope I backed out the morning before and I'm saving the $70 or so dollars for a trip to Florida

there was no point in me taking it at all, I want to retake Calc next year anyway since I will prolly fail the next course if I go on the way I am now.

I'm taking AP Environmental Science on the 13th, i don't think it should be too hard, prolly easier than Bio which I somehow did really well on last year
Old 05-09-2002, 11:31 AM   #9
Refugee

speedracer that is probably true. my teacher told us to find 10 problems we can do really well and do them because 10 right and 0 wrong will get us about a 3. Those tests are massively curved, thank goodness!
Old 05-09-2002, 06:05 PM   #10
Acrobat

Took it in 99...what's that about it being curved? I think I got a 2 In fact...I know i did....

[This message has been edited by U2morrow (edited 05-09-2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 08:06 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:

Good luck!

I took BC that year...I din't think it was that hard

Old 05-09-2002, 08:20 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I took calc last semester and got a B.

When in doubt, go with the squeeze theorem.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:22 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Dang! You're smart....I never even got to take calculus...let alone the AP exam for it...
Forgive me if this sounds ostentatious, but I only mean to prove a point. I have an advanced degree in science - let me tell you how often I've used calculus in my research: about twice.

Granted, my type of research doesn't call for it (protein diagnostics/therapeutics), but this proves that you can more than survive without calculus - even in a career where you might think it is needed.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-09-2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 11:26 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Forgive me if this sounds ostentatious, but I only mean to prove a point. I have an advanced degree in science - let me tell you how often I've used calculus in my research: about twice.

Granted, my type of research doesn't call for it (protein diagnostics/therapeutics), but this proves that you can more than survive without calculus - even in a career where you might think it is needed.
That is definitely true in many areas of science. But as I recall, don't you work in the field of biology? It would make sense that there aren't that many uses for calculus there. But as a student studying electrical engineering, calculus is used in almost everything. And most of the design algorithms we use are also calculus-based, as I assume they would be in real life. But I guess I'll have to wait and see how much I actually use it on the job.

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 05-09-2002, 11:49 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
That is definitely true in many areas of science. But as I recall, don't you work in the field of biology? It would make sense that there aren't that many uses for calculus there. But as a student studying electrical engineering, calculus is used in almost everything. And most of the design algorithms we use are also calculus-based, as I assume they would be in real life. But I guess I'll have to wait and see how much I actually use it on the job.

I'm studying computer engineering and I use it in every class.

Sometimes a subject measures your discipline to learns more than confer any value to you for the future