Did anybody here take the AP Calc test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blood red edge

The Fly
Just a question to see what high schoolers around here took it and I'd like to what you guys think about it (did you pass, did you think certain parts of the test were hard or whatever)

HA!! I didn't take a math this year at all!! That was the BEST decision I had ever made...oh man! I took the lit exam monday, and I did fabulously. I have the history tests on friday (Euro and Us history). I have bio next tuesday. So if I live till a week from now, I'm set for life.

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Took the AP Calc AB exam back in 1999. I thought it was not bad overall (got a 5). Just make sure you know the basics, and know the concepts very well. There's nothing too tricky, but the problems might be made out differently than you are used to seeing in class, so knowing the concepts will help. Have you gotten a hold of past AP exams? They help out a lot. Like any math class, practice is the best way to get better.

Good luck!

------------------
Change is the only constant

The tests were Tuesday
wink.gif

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

When I took it, rumor was that 60% was good enough for a 5.

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Took the AP Calc AB exam back in 1999. I thought it was not bad overall (got a 5). Just make sure you know the basics, and know the concepts very well. There's nothing too tricky, but the problems might be made out differently than you are used to seeing in class, so knowing the concepts will help. Have you gotten a hold of past AP exams? They help out a lot. Like any math class, practice is the best way to get better.

Good luck!

Dang! You're smart....I never even got to take calculus...let alone the AP exam for it...

Yay for history (I majored in history in college and will probably study it in grad school, despite it's uselessness
smile.gif
) and bio (the only good science
smile.gif
)!

As for calculus, I took the AP class in high school ('98) but didn't take the test. Fortunately, my college let me bypass the math requirement because of my ACT scores. I did take statistics (as an elective for my poli sci major)in college, however. Ick. I hate math (as evidenced by my math score on the GRE
frown.gif
).

nope I backed out the morning before and I'm saving the $70 or so dollars for a trip to Florida
biggrin.gif

there was no point in me taking it at all, I want to retake Calc next year anyway since I will prolly fail the next course if I go on the way I am now.

I'm taking AP Environmental Science on the 13th, i don't think it should be too hard, prolly easier than Bio which I somehow did really well on last year
eek.gif

speedracer that is probably true. my teacher told us to find 10 problems we can do really well and do them because 10 right and 0 wrong will get us about a 3. Those tests are massively curved, thank goodness!

Took it in 99...what's that about it being curved?
wink.gif
I think I got a 2
wink.gif
In fact...I know i did....

[This message has been edited by U2morrow (edited 05-09-2002).]

Good luck!

I took BC that year...I din't think it was that hard

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Dang! You're smart....I never even got to take calculus...let alone the AP exam for it...

Forgive me if this sounds ostentatious, but I only mean to prove a point. I have an advanced degree in science - let me tell you how often I've used calculus in my research: about twice.
icon14.gif

Granted, my type of research doesn't call for it (protein diagnostics/therapeutics), but this proves that you can more than survive without calculus - even in a career where you might think it is needed.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-09-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Forgive me if this sounds ostentatious, but I only mean to prove a point. I have an advanced degree in science - let me tell you how often I've used calculus in my research: about twice.
icon14.gif

Granted, my type of research doesn't call for it (protein diagnostics/therapeutics), but this proves that you can more than survive without calculus - even in a career where you might think it is needed.

That is definitely true in many areas of science. But as I recall, don't you work in the field of biology? It would make sense that there aren't that many uses for calculus there. But as a student studying electrical engineering, calculus is used in almost everything. And most of the design algorithms we use are also calculus-based, as I assume they would be in real life. But I guess I'll have to wait and see how much I actually use it on the job.

------------------
Change is the only constant

That is definitely true in many areas of science. But as I recall, don't you work in the field of biology? It would make sense that there aren't that many uses for calculus there. But as a student studying electrical engineering, calculus is used in almost everything. And most of the design algorithms we use are also calculus-based, as I assume they would be in real life. But I guess I'll have to wait and see how much I actually use it on the job.

I'm studying computer engineering and I use it in every class.

Sometimes a subject measures your discipline to learns more than confer any value to you for the future

That is definitely true in many areas of science. But as I recall, don't you work in the field of biology?

AAAAHHHH!

*runs screaming from the thought of doing biology - the science for kindergarten children!
biggrin.gif

Just joking!

Actually, I am a biochemist, which truly is a blending of chemistry and biology (emphasis on the chemistry section - I've never even taken a biology class). I do a lot of analytical chemistry as well as protein purification and characterization. I have a colleague who does some heavy level protein characterization that does require very advanced level mathematics (linear algebra, differential equations) but for my work, this is not needed.

What is sad is that I have found some biologists so lacking in their mathematic abilities that teaching it to them (like how to do simple regression analysis) is quite challenging. But biologists do have the knack for knowing their species and growing things.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-11-2002).]

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
does this mean any of you guys can tell me what the hell calculus is?

i have to take it for my degree this fall.

In a sentence, it's really a way of looking at the change in something as a result of something else. If you can remember that, you'll do fine. Don't let all the odd symbols or x's, y's, d(x)'s or d(y)'s or d''(x), etc. fool you. All these are just ways of expressing how x (and x can be anything) changes as a result of what happens to y.

Linear algebra deals with this on a much large scale, where matrixes are established accounting for numerous variables. You may glance at linear algebra in Calculus, but most likely you'll only really get into it in an upper level math course.

Calculus and linear algebra are needed to calculate various physical events. In other words, they are used in physics and its applications (in chemistry and engineering). But don't worry about that - just keep things simple. Think of silly items like, "if I eat this super spicy Dagwood sandwich this fast, what will happen to my stomach?" The rate that your stomach becomes upset in a span of 0 to 2 hours may be directly related to the rate of eating that sandwich or the rate at which you put more spicy things on it.
biggrin.gif

Keep in mind, I have simplified the definitions, so all you people taking Calculus, don't be offended. In fact, I think you should offer some examples to ease KhanadaRhodes mind.
smile.gif

Imagine you're driving, and consider the distance you've driven as a function of time. The distance you've driven is changing with time, but it's not changing at a constant rate. When you're just pulling out of your driveway, your distance isn't changing very much. When you're on the highway, it's changing at a pretty large rate.

Calculus is essentially the mathematics of functions that are changing at non-constant rates.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

so why is calculus necessary for hotel/timeshare management?
back when i wanted to major in psychology i didn't need it; it seems more necessary for the latter, not the former.

------------------
i like the highlife and the lowlife. it's just the bit in between i find boring.
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

*raises hand*

i took the AB calc test last tuesday! i was actually signed up for BC, but i got lazy. no motivation, y'know? i thought the m/c was way easier than i expected, but the free response was a bitch (esp the no calculator part)

now all i have to do is wait until july to find out how i did...

*crosses fingers*

gah! i wish i were smarter...

Same here Stories For Boys. Not the BC part, but how I felt about the test. The MC calc active part was way too easy, because in our practice tests I'd answer 5 of the calc active, but on the actual test I answered like all but 5, it was then I knew they would kill us on the free response. But it is good to know that others feel that same way, because if everybody did bad on the free response that bumps the curve up.

Back
Top Bottom