Dickshooter, Idaho Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:laugh: Nowadays, Aussie TV's got nice, lax censorship laws. After 9pm, you can say anything you like, and I'm not sure whether it's after 9 or 10pm, you can show pretty much anything you like too. At 9:05pm, The Chaser once broadcast a series of proposed Aussie tourism slogans, including "fuck, Australia's fucking great, so where the fuck are you, motherfucker?", completely uncensored.

I'm just not too into physical media of any kind, really. Vinyl, cassettes, CDs, they're all useless to me. I just file them and let them gather dust while I listen to the MP3s. So what's the point, you know? I already have shitloads of books taking up too much space.

Hah, yeah, somebody once tried to introduce me to J-Rock and J-Pop and I pretty much ran the other way after a few songs. I find it hilarious that a guy from a Kiwi noise rock band has ended up in that scene.
:laugh: You couldn't get away with that on American TV unless it's on cable, after midnight or on HBO.

I'm a tactile person. I like to have the concrete CD/LP/whatev for such an abstract thing as music. And even MP3's are abstract for me. I can't put my fingers on it.

J-Rock :no:

I greatly preferred This Will Destroy You's EP to this. That release was able to build atmosphere and give you a badass track or two, while the self-titled album only has that atmosphere, but no real payoff. It's frustrating, because I enjoy that band and think they have talent, so yeah. I'd still check it out for your own opinion.

Sigur Ros' album was an easy first listen and I quite enjoyed it. I haven't revisited it since and don't even know which their lead single was, to tell the truth. It didn't grab me as much as their previous albums (all of them except the shitfest of Von), but it still didn't disappoint me. I know El-Mel isn't a fan of theirs, are you?

Oh, damn. Yeah, post-rock that's JUST atmosphere usually comes across as pretty unsatisfying. Sure, you're floating around, but you're not getting somewhere. It might be nice if you're walking in some scenic park on a beautiful day with a stunning view, but otherwise, it doesn't seem to have much point. I'll give it a spin to see if it does something for me, though.

I need to listen to more Sigur Ros. I listened to Von because I loved Myrkur ... shame none of the rest is good like Myrkur. Can't recall the name of the lead single either, but then again, who can recall Sigur Ros song names?

Demon Days Update

Sometimes the rap fusion thing works, sometimes it doesn't. The rap in Dirty Harry absolutely fucking ruins everything that was good about it. Not only does it totally disrupt the song, it's terrible lyrically.

:laugh: You couldn't get away with that on American TV unless it's on cable, after midnight or on HBO.

I'm a tactile person. I like to have the concrete CD/LP/whatev for such an abstract thing as music. And even MP3's are abstract for me. I can't put my fingers on it.

J-Rock :no:

The Chaser's also broadcast things like Fuck Fest, a parody of comedians who swear a lot, which was pretty much just Chas Licciardello saying "fuck" in a variety of different ways. All of this on free-to-air before 9:30pm! Though my favourite example of how different US and Aussie TV censorship is comes from the news. Some politician responded to a controversy by telling the media that shit happens. So at 6:30pm, SBS World News runs with the lead headline "SHIT HAPPENS".

See, I'm a practical person who figures I might as well just have the music in the format I'll play it, which is invariably digital. I do like to have lossless copies and buy CD copies of my favourite albums, but I find good quality MP3s pretty much impossible to distinguish from WAV files, so in most cases I'm happy just with that. I collect enough other shit anyway, I don't need to add CDs or vinyl to that or I'll have no room or money at all!

Problems:

1. The hiss is louder than the music.

2. The noise is louder than the music.

3. The music isn't that great.

:laugh: Exactly!

Which is why I now insist you listen to the only other song they ever officially released. This time, it's live. Dear god. Reggo, check this out too.

http://www.send space.com/file/rmw3f0

The Chaser's also broadcast things like Fuck Fest, a parody of comedians who swear a lot, which was pretty much just Chas Licciardello saying "fuck" in a variety of different ways. All of this on free-to-air before 9:30pm! Though my favourite example of how different US and Aussie TV censorship is comes from the news. Some politician responded to a controversy by telling the media that shit happens. So at 6:30pm, SBS World News runs with the lead headline "SHIT HAPPENS".

See, I'm a practical person who figures I might as well just have the music in the format I'll play it, which is invariably digital. I do like to have lossless copies and buy CD copies of my favourite albums, but I find good quality MP3s pretty much impossible to distinguish from WAV files, so in most cases I'm happy just with that. I collect enough other shit anyway, I don't need to add CDs or vinyl to that or I'll have no room or money at all!
Aussie TV wins. :up:

I have such a bad music addiction. It's seriously bad. I have gone overdrawn on my bank account because of music more times that I care to admit.

Which is why I now insist you listen to the only other song they ever officially released. This time, it's live. Dear god. Reggo, check this out too.

http://www.send space.com/file/rmw3f0
Note to self: read back on Dickshooter thread tomorrow morning.

Were people shouting out the song name as if they knew it? How does anyone know this band? :lol:

Oh, damn. Yeah, post-rock that's JUST atmosphere usually comes across as pretty unsatisfying. Sure, you're floating around, but you're not getting somewhere. It might be nice if you're walking in some scenic park on a beautiful day with a stunning view, but otherwise, it doesn't seem to have much point. I'll give it a spin to see if it does something for me, though.

I need to listen to more Sigur Ros. I listened to Von because I loved Myrkur ... shame none of the rest is good like Myrkur. Can't recall the name of the lead single either, but then again, who can recall Sigur Ros song names?

That's my view on post-rock even after listening to a limited amount of albums.

You can't go wrong with Takk..., Aegustykjgkjshg Byrun, (), and Lado Semen Mehi Turkey. The last one was a joke, but how can you even tell?

Aussie TV wins. :up:

I have such a bad music addiction. It's seriously bad. I have gone overdrawn on my bank account because of music more times that I care to admit.

It has its shit moments too, but at least it seems more sane than US TV. I still laugh at that Janet Jackson's nipple incident. Way to make a fuss over NOTHING!

I bet I would've too if it weren't for the Internet. As it stands, I can download shit and save up money to go to concerts when the bands I like do actually get their arses down here. Three Porcupine Tree gigs = so fucking worth it. :drool:

I've no idea who the fuck that is, but Glenn McGrath is made of SuperWin.

I was thinking of him today! Well, I was singing the Glenn McGrath song. You remember the Glenn McGrath song?
Bowling Shane
I say, Ooh Ahh Glenn McGrath,
I say Ooh Ahh Glenn McGrath

:giggle:

It has its shit moments too, but at least it seems more sane than US TV. I still laugh at that Janet Jackson's nipple incident. Way to make a fuss over NOTHING!

I bet I would've too if it weren't for the Internet. As it stands, I can download shit and save up money to go to concerts when the bands I like do actually get their arses down here. Three Porcupine Tree gigs = so fucking worth it. :drool:
Oh, God, that's STILL a big deal. :banghead: Americans are so stupid.

:reject: It's an honest addiction. But I've got a lot of good music out of it. To rationalise the HELL out of it.

I've no idea who the fuck that is, but Glenn McGrath is made of SuperWin.
Former lead singer of Sugar Ray, now co-host of Access Hollywood. I should see if I can find that one pic of him from the Star Wars episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom