Dickshooter, Idaho Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
El-Mel, here are my impressions of '08 so far. The ratings are really the only things that matter, the placement within the list is kind of arbitrary. I expect this to change another 100 times before the end of the year.

1. Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket ****
2. Viva la Vida or Death and All Its Friends by Coldplay **** (I'm in shock, too)
3. Weezer (The Red Album) by Weezer ****
4. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie ****
5. Flight of the Conchords by Flight of the Conchords ****
6. Hercules and Love Affair by Hercules and Love Affair ****
7. Saturdays = Youth by M83 ****
8. Hold on Now Youngster... by Los Campesinos! ****
9. Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs ****
10. Með suð � eyrum við spilum endalaust by Sigur Rós ***1/2
11. LP3 by Ratatat ***1/2
12. Rising Down by The Roots ***1/2
13. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes ***1/2
14. Accelerate by R.E.M. ***1/2
15. Modern Guilt by Beck ***1/2
16. The Odd Couple by Gnarls Barkley ***1/2
17. Third by Portishead ***1/2
18. Vampire Weekend by Vampire Weekend ***
19. Made in the Dark by Hot Chip ***
20. Stainless Style by Neon Neon ***
21. This Will Destroy You by This Will Destroy You ***
22. Last Night by Moby **1/2
23. Volume One by She & Him **1/2

Still need to give the British Sea Power and Daniel Lanois albums a listen.

El-Mel, here are my impressions of '08 so far. The ratings are really the only things that matter, the placement within the list is kind of arbitrary. I expect this to change another 100 times before the end of the year.

1. Evil Urges by My Morning Jacket ****
2. Viva la Vida or Death and All Its Friends by Coldplay **** (I'm in shock, too)
3. Weezer (The Red Album) by Weezer ****
4. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie ****
5. Flight of the Conchords by Flight of the Conchords ****
6. Hercules and Love Affair by Hercules and Love Affair ****
7. Saturdays = Youth by M83 ****
8. Hold on Now Youngster... by Los Campesinos! ****
9. Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs ****
11. LP3 by Ratatat ***1/2
12. Rising Down by The Roots ***1/2
13. Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes ***1/2
14. Accelerate by R.E.M. ***1/2
15. Modern Guilt by Beck ***1/2
16. The Odd Couple by Gnarls Barkley ***1/2
17. Third by Portishead ***1/2
18. Vampire Weekend by Vampire Weekend ***
19. Made in the Dark by Hot Chip ***
20. Stainless Style by Neon Neon ***
22. Last Night by Moby **1/2
23. Volume One by She & Him **1/2

Man, the highest you gave anything is a 4/5? This has been a slow year. Glad to see you dug Hercules And Love Affair.

Man, the highest you gave anything is a 4/5? This has been a slow year. Glad to see you dug Hercules And Love Affair.

Like with movies, 4/5 is still pretty good for me. It means I'll at least revisit that album or most of its songs pretty regularly and see it keeping up with me overtime. To crack the 9, 10 range, it's gotta really take me on the first, second, and maybe third listens. Last year had plenty of albums that did that for me, not so much this year.

Hercules was a fun album, thanks for the rec. Los Campesinos are quirky as hell, too, but they've got a cool energy about them that you won't see in a band like Vampire Weekend, for instance.

Like with movies, 4/5 is still pretty good for me. It means I'll at least revisit that album or most of its songs pretty regularly and see it keeping up with me overtime. To crack the 9, 10 range, it's gotta really take me on the first, second, and maybe third listens. Last year had plenty of albums that did that for me, not so much this year.

Yeah, last year had In Rainbows and GaGa, both of which blew my mind. This year, the biggest surprise is the superb Fleet Foxes record.

imgad

finally! :love:

Yeah, last year had In Rainbows and GaGa, both of which blew my mind. This year, the biggest surprise is the superb Fleet Foxes record.

Sky Blue Sky, Sound of Silver, Graduation, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, and Neon Motherfuckin' Bible had the same effect on me, too, along with the two you mentioned.

Neon and Rainbows especially were incredibly special to me.

A mental mindfuck can be nice :yes:

I love obscure music, especially when it's one of those niches that hardly anybody knows about. Like Lookout! Records stuff. I'm a collector. I hope to have everything they put out one day. I have a copy of the first album they ever released. Lookout! Records # 0001, The Lookouts!...fuck me, I've forgotten :shocked:... (not the actual LP name. I can't believe I can't remember). Lookout! records was founded by the founding member of The Lookouts! (get it?) Lawrence Livermore, even less experienced on the guitar than Bono, and sings about as well as...uhm :hmm: I think even Adam Clayton sings better than Lawrence, tbh. :lol: But I have everything The Lookouts! ever released.

I should apply this encyclopaedic knowledge* to something useful.

*Knowledge: Originally written and performed by the founding members of Operation Ivy and recorded on their debut LP. Was covered by Sweet Children (later Green Day) on their 39/Smooth album and has since become a live staple in which the band invites audience members to play while the band sings. Usually results in Tre kicking bad drummers out from behind his drums.

I really should use my powers for good instead of evil.

I'll send Writing On The Wall by Riot 111 to you. They got really pissed when TVNZ refused to broadcast their music video (because the sound quality of the song is shit!) and played an impromptu protest gig outside TVNZ's headquarters. Just for that, I consider them legends of Kiwi music. Plus, any song with the line "you're all waiting for 1984 but we all know it's already here" is a winner in my books, no matter how much it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's bathroom by a severely hungover bunch of anarcho-punks.

And :lol:, you're talking to the guy who can tell you the precise date and location of every Hawkmoon 269 performance. I, uh, think that says it all.

Personally, I don't consider myself a collector too much. Vinyl's of no use to me, though I love my copies of the One Tree Hill single. I'm more a fan who just wants to hear the music any way possible, i.e. by downloading MP3s. So many of these acts have split up and the musicians disappeared that I don't feel too bad that I simply can't find this stuff to buy at a reasonable price. Hell, I actually once got contacted by the drummer from This Will Kill That and he sent me the band's EP because he just loves that somebody out there cares to hear the music all these years later. He doesn't want money for it, and even if he did, he's lost contact with the lead singer, whose last known location was somewhere in Japan with a J-Rock band ...

Sky Blue Sky, Sound of Silver, Graduation, All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, and Neon Motherfuckin' Bible had the same effect on me, too, along with the two you mentioned.

Neon and Rainbows especially were incredibly special to me.

Neon and Sound Of Silver were definitely in the :fuckyeah: pile.

Traiuxx, I haven't picked up the Fleet Foxes album yet, but after listening to some of it online I think I will now. Have you heard the Sun Giant EP too? That worth it as well?

[...]

Can you tell me more about these two? I expect to quite enjoy TWDY, but how does it rate compared to the Young Mountain EP? And would the Sigur Ros album be worth my while if I thought the lead single was pretty crap and would have stopped listening to it on their website before it even finished if it weren't for that music video?

I'll send Writing On The Wall by Riot 111 to you. They got really pissed when TVNZ refused to broadcast their music video (because the sound quality of the song is shit!) and played an impromptu protest gig outside TVNZ's headquarters. Just for that, I consider them legends of Kiwi music. Plus, any song with the line "you're all waiting for 1984 but we all know it's already here" is a winner in my books, no matter how much it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's bathroom by a severely hungover bunch of anarcho-punks.

And :lol:, you're talking to the guy who can tell you the precise date and location of every Hawkmoon 269 performance. I, uh, think that says it all.

Personally, I don't consider myself a collector too much. Vinyl's of no use to me, though I love my copies of the One Tree Hill single. I'm more a fan who just wants to hear the music any way possible, i.e. by downloading MP3s. So many of these acts have split up and the musicians disappeared that I don't feel too bad that I simply can't find this stuff to buy at a reasonable price. Hell, I actually once got contacted by the drummer from This Will Kill That and he sent me the band's EP because he just loves that somebody out there cares to hear the music all these years later. He doesn't want money for it, and even if he did, he's lost contact with the lead singer, whose last known location was somewhere in Japan with a J-Rock band ...
:lmao: Green Day got banned from a TV show in Australia, can't remember which (damn my memory!), for an impromptu performance of "The Grouch", a song of theirs that says "fuck" every other line and the censors couldn't keep up.

<--Vinyl whore. :drool: (I really should use that as a screen name somewhere.) I have a stereo that can burn CDs from vinyl, so I can turn them into MP3's if I want to.

That's a cool story but J-rock makes me go :yikes: A friend of mine's a Japanophile and tries to get me to listen to Miyagi and stuff. No, thank you.

No, I just have The Birth and Death of the Day as an individual track and two of their older albums.

Oh, okay.

This was my first real Explosions album and my second fave behind The Earth Is a Cold Dead Place - I'd recommend getting the whole album.

Can you tell me more about these two? I expect to quite enjoy TWDY, but how does it rate compared to the Young Mountain EP? And would the Sigur Ros album be worth my while if I thought the lead single was pretty crap and would have stopped listening to it on their website before it even finished if it weren't for that music video?

I greatly preferred This Will Destroy You's EP to this. That release was able to build atmosphere and give you a badass track or two, while the self-titled album only has that atmosphere, but no real payoff. It's frustrating, because I enjoy that band and think they have talent, so yeah. I'd still check it out for your own opinion.

Sigur Ros' album was an easy first listen and I quite enjoyed it. I haven't revisited it since and don't even know which their lead single was, to tell the truth. It didn't grab me as much as their previous albums (all of them except the shitfest of Von), but it still didn't disappoint me. I know El-Mel isn't a fan of theirs, are you?

LM and anybody else who cares, this is the song Wheatfields by The Weeds. Comparatively good mixing compared to the live track, comparatively shit mixing compared to everything else. Listen and realise why this is the only studio release from this proto-supergroup of Kiwi music stars before they all played in the bands that made them awesome (I'd say famous, but ... they weren't).

http://www.send space.com/file/qpfpiu

Oh, okay.

This was my first real Explosions album and my second fave behind The Earth Is a Cold Dead Place - I'd recommend getting the whole album.

It's been on my list, just haven't been all that interested in post-rock as of late.

Second re-listen: Demon Days.

LM and anybody else who cares, this is the song Wheatfields by The Weeds. Comparatively good mixing compared to the live track, comparatively shit mixing compared to everything else. Listen and realise why this is the only studio release from this proto-supergroup of Kiwi music stars before they all played in the bands that made them awesome (I'd say famous, but ... they weren't).

http://www.send space.com/file/qpfpiu

Problems:

1. The hiss is louder than the music.

2. The noise is louder than the music.

3. The music isn't that great.

The flow* of the first couple of tracks of this album is surprisingly good. And Kids with Guns is a killer track.

*WTF?

:lmao: Green Day got banned from a TV show in Australia, can't remember which (damn my memory!), for an impromptu performance of "The Grouch", a song of theirs that says "fuck" every other line and the censors couldn't keep up.

<--Vinyl whore. :drool: (I really should use that as a screen name somewhere.) I have a stereo that can burn CDs from vinyl, so I can turn them into MP3's if I want to.

That's a cool story but J-rock makes me go :yikes: A friend of mine's a Japanophile and tries to get me to listen to Miyagi and stuff. No, thank you.

:laugh: Nowadays, Aussie TV's got nice, lax censorship laws. After 9pm, you can say anything you like, and I'm not sure whether it's after 9 or 10pm, you can show pretty much anything you like too. At 9:05pm, The Chaser once broadcast a series of proposed Aussie tourism slogans, including "fuck, Australia's fucking great, so where the fuck are you, motherfucker?", completely uncensored.

I'm just not too into physical media of any kind, really. Vinyl, cassettes, CDs, they're all useless to me. I just file them and let them gather dust while I listen to the MP3s. So what's the point, you know? I already have shitloads of books taking up too much space.

Hah, yeah, somebody once tried to introduce me to J-Rock and J-Pop and I pretty much ran the other way after a few songs. I find it hilarious that a guy from a Kiwi noise rock band has ended up in that scene.

Since we're rating albums: Foxboro Hot Tubs: 1/2 out of 5. So many things wrong with it, I dont' know where to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom