Dickshooter, Idaho Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Franz Ferdinand. Especially their debut album. It's not at all cohesive ... yet I pretty much enjoy the whole thing.
I love Franz Ferdinand. I hope their new one comes out soon. I've waited too long!

Oh the media monkeys and the junky junkies will invite you to their plastic pantomine... throw their invites away!

Why am I not surprised? :wink:

Now I just wonder if, by "loud, fuzzy", you mean it sounds even worse than half the Dunedin Sound's songs or not ...
East Bay Punk Mafia, FTW!

You mean recorded on a one track tape in somebody's basement with the amps turned up way too high?

NSW! Trip finish well?

Yes indeed, thanks!

Tonight was bummer; my softball team had a playoff game, and we won, so we had another right after...we fell behind 12-4 and lost 12-11. We then went out to the bar we always go to after and it looks like 1/2 my coworkers are on a mission to get drunk and laid, with each other. Fun times. I was exhausted so I split, and here I am.

Yes indeed, thanks!

Tonight was bummer; my softball team had a playoff game, and we won, so we had another right after...we fell behind 12-4 and lost 12-11. We then went out to the bar we always go to after and it looks like 1/2 my coworkers are on a mission to get drunk and laid, with each other. Fun times. I was exhausted so I split, and here I am.

That's cool, for the most part. HR will have a fun time sorting that all out.

Occasionally, I truly fall for the record being wanked over. Shins, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes...all of them beloved in Indiewankerland, and all of them beloved by me as well.

But this...it's just rather boring. I don't know why, but the songs have no...power. Or something. Everything sounds like it was recorded as flatly as possible on a four track. Plus, the singer has that sloppy-yet-somehow-on-key thing going that all indie vocalists do.

I don't think I've fallen for any of the sensations. I suppose plenty of Indiewankerland residents wank over EITS, but that's been a fairly consistent and more low-key thing without the over-hype aspect.

Most of what's hyped, I just find to be overly simplistic in a bad way, and boring.

East Bay Punk Mafia, FTW!

You mean recorded on a one track tape in somebody's basement with the amps turned up way too high?

Haha, yeah, that sounds like some Dunedin Sound stuff. Shitloads of material was recorded onto Chris Knox's portable four-track recorder and then just released raw. They didn't have the finances to do anything more, since all the major labels didn't give a shit about the Dunedin Sound for the most part. Though they wanted in when The Chills began charting in a big way!

I maintain the worst sounding recording I've ever heard in my life is the Wheatfields EP by The Weeds. The first song is this studio song that is barely listenable. The second song is a live track that makes the first sound like it has pristine production values. There's this godawful high pitched noise throughout it that just makes me want to kill things.

I like Everything in Its Right Place a little more than before, but still no love for the title track. And the National Anthem is kind of meh. Nice bassline, but everything else is kind of a mess. And the horn thing going on at the end is beyond dreadful.

Haha, yeah, that sounds like some Dunedin Sound stuff. Shitloads of material was recorded onto Chris Knox's portable four-track recorder and then just released raw. They didn't have the finances to do anything more, since all the major labels didn't give a shit about the Dunedin Sound for the most part. Though they wanted in when The Chills began charting in a big way!

I maintain the worst sounding recording I've ever heard in my life is the Wheatfields EP by The Weeds. The first song is this studio song that is barely listenable. The second song is a live track that makes the first sound like it has pristine production values. There's this godawful high pitched noise throughout it that just makes me want to kill things.
There's a few live songs that are like that on a "professionally" done Green Day concert album. *stabs the producers and engineers*

I have a lot of East Bay stuff. Perhaps I could trade you some songs that bring lulz for some Dunedin stuff.

There's a few live songs that are like that on a "professionally" done Green Day concert album. *stabs the producers and engineers*

I have a lot of East Bay stuff. Perhaps I could trade you some songs that bring lulz for some Dunedin stuff.

See, at least I think this wasn't professionally done. But I still cannot fathom how it is so hideously bad.

Heh, sure. I also have some early eighties Kiwi DIY anarcho-punk that is just ... fucking odd. I'm tempted to use a track in one DI installment just to mindfuck people.

In fact, you know what I'm going to do? Time to do a running diary of The Weeds' Wheatfields EP!

Vampire Weekend is done. I'd give the record a 6 1/2 or so. There's nothing offensively bad on the album, but hardly anything that I'll come back to. "Bryn" is an exception; even though the main riff sounds like "A-Punk" slowed down, it's the only track I would deem great.

Vampire Weekend is done. I'd give the record a 6 1/2 or so. There's nothing offensively bad on the album, but hardly anything that I'll come back to. "Bryn" is an exception; even though the main riff sounds like "A-Punk" slowed down, it's the only track I would deem great.

Do you not give a fuck about the Oxford Comma?

It's probably the only song I'll listen to from that album.

I give it a 2.0 and a "enjoy vanishing into obscurity within two years".

First up by The Weeds is the song Wheatfields. Distant bassline ... roughish guitar ... need to turn up the volume to hear this properly. Vocals at a poor levels.

And now a bunch of them are singing at once and it's just not mixed well enough for the harmonies to work. The guy who sings the verses is at a different level to the others. Then it builds up the chorus over and over again, trying I think to be either manic or anthemic but it's just confused and some guy's scream near the end brings some lulz. Can't believe how many legends of Kiwi music are involved in making this. Bit of a poorly executed mess but it's listenable and possibly even catchy.

And then Trouble by The Weeds. The high pitched noise oddly enough didn't seem to be there. Maybe I played it through shit speakers last time or something. But oh god, the levels are all over the place. Different instruments coming in just fucks with the sound. Some are fuzzy. The vocals are often incoherent. And it barely seems like a properly thought-out song anyway.

Nobody should buy this. And luckily, nobody will, because there were probably only 200 pressings in history and some random Kiwis have them and you'll never find them.

See, at least I think this wasn't professionally done. But I still cannot fathom how it is so hideously bad.

Heh, sure. I also have some early eighties Kiwi DIY anarcho-punk that is just ... fucking odd. I'm tempted to use a track in one DI installment just to mindfuck people.
A mental mindfuck can be nice :yes:

I love obscure music, especially when it's one of those niches that hardly anybody knows about. Like Lookout! Records stuff. I'm a collector. I hope to have everything they put out one day. I have a copy of the first album they ever released. Lookout! Records # 0001, The Lookouts!...fuck me, I've forgotten :shocked:... (not the actual LP name. I can't believe I can't remember). Lookout! records was founded by the founding member of The Lookouts! (get it?) Lawrence Livermore, even less experienced on the guitar than Bono, and sings about as well as...uhm :hmm: I think even Adam Clayton sings better than Lawrence, tbh. :lol: But I have everything The Lookouts! ever released.

I should apply this encyclopaedic knowledge* to something useful.

*Knowledge: Originally written and performed by the founding members of Operation Ivy and recorded on their debut LP. Was covered by Sweet Children (later Green Day) on their 39/Smooth album and has since become a live staple in which the band invites audience members to play while the band sings. Usually results in Tre kicking bad drummers out from behind his drums.

I really should use my powers for good instead of evil.

Heya people! I'm shocked, Patti Smith is playing in Melb in October!!! *must figure how to get to Melb*

Oh well, back to work.....

Adelaide gets rejected yet again? :wink:

Hey LM, mind if I send you Wheatfields by The Weeds? You know your music shit, and I'd just love to see your reaction to the mixing on this song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom