Dickshooter, Idaho Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to precious little from this year. Station by Russian Circles owns, though. What've you played?

Not a whole lot of GREAT albums from this year, but nothing too crushingly disappointing either.

R.E.M. - Accelerate
The Roots - Rising Down
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Sheryl Crow - Detours
The Dodos - Visiter
Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Weezer - The Red Album
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
She & Him - Volume One
The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
Beck - Modern Guilt
Hercules And Love Affair - Hercules And Love Affair

M83 - Saturdays = Youth and Hold Steady - Stay Positive will be done by the end of the night.

I know what you mean.

I'm only pissed when I've got something to do that day. Otherwise, it's fine. I'm not much of a morning/early afternoon person.

Can't stay up too late tonight, gotta wake up early to take my senior photos tomorrow. :|

See, I do like waking up by around 10am. If I miss the morning entirely, I feel like I've wasted my day. I can't believe it's 1:40pm right now and I've only been up 20 minutes. God. Only 1.5 weeks of holidays left before I find myself with 10am classes two days a week, though. :sigh:

Not a whole lot of GREAT albums from this year, but nothing too crushingly disappointing either.

R.E.M. - Accelerate
The Roots - Rising Down
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Sheryl Crow - Detours
The Dodos - Visiter
Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Weezer - The Red Album
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
She & Him - Volume One
The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
Beck - Modern Guilt
Hercules And Love Affair - Hercules And Love Affair

M83 - Saturdays = Youth and Hold Steady - Stay Positive will be done by the end of the night.

I haven't even heard of most of them, heh. The artists, mostly yes, but not the albums. I do have the M83 album, though. Haven't yet played it. Let me know what you think of it. I'm just getting into them, thanks to LMP's suggestion.

I'm now checking RYM to see what 2008 albums I've played.

I haven't even heard of most of them, heh. The artists, mostly yes, but not the albums. I do have the M83 album, though. Haven't yet played it. Let me know what you think of it. I'm just getting into them, thanks to LMP's suggestion.

I'm now checking RYM to see what 2008 albums I've played.

I listened to it a very convincing ONE time, and was extremely impressed. I jumped on board because of Kim & Jessie, but the whole album has great atmosphere and melodies. My issue is with the length...there's no reason for it to be an hour long, considering it gets repetitive by track 8.

See, I do like waking up by around 10am. If I miss the morning entirely, I feel like I've wasted my day. I can't believe it's 1:40pm right now and I've only been up 20 minutes. God. Only 1.5 weeks of holidays left before I find myself with 10am classes two days a week, though. :sigh:

10-11 AM would be an ideal wake-up time for me, but I stay up too late during the summer to allow that.

El-Mel, I've heard all of those albums except The Dodos and Sheryl Crow ones. I think even a few more, too. Not sure.

El-Mel, I've heard all of those albums except The Dodos and Sheryl Crow ones. I think even a few more, too. Not sure.

What did you think of Beck's new record?

Definitely check out Dodos. They're one of the surprises of the year for me. Sheryl Crow I've always liked, so it wasn't a shock in particular that I liked her album, but the extent that I did was surprising.

What did you think of Beck's new record?

Definitely check out Dodos. They're one of the surprises of the year for me. Sheryl Crow I've always liked, so it wasn't a shock in particular that I liked her album, but the extent that I did was surprising.

I enjoyed it. I'm not as big of a fan as you are, but it was a good listen.

Records on the back burner:

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Portishead - Third
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha
Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash
The Breeders - Mountain Battles
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster
Sun Kil Moon - April

I'm really not looking forward to listening through Vampire Weekend's album all the way through. No offense, LMP. :wink:

I listened to it a very convincing ONE time, and was extremely impressed. I jumped on board because of Kim & Jessie, but the whole album has great atmosphere and melodies. My issue is with the length...there's no reason for it to be an hour long, considering it gets repetitive by track 8.

Yeah, I've found with the album I've played already (Dead Cities, Red Seas, And Lost Ghosts), I prefer to take a bunch of tracks rather than playing the whole album at once.

Turns out, as I suspected, I've played precious few full albums from 2008:
1. No-Man: Schoolyard Ghosts (incredible; I recommend it for Truenorth alone)
2. Russian Circles: Station (even more incredible)
3. Kalisia: Cybion (prog death metal, so you'd hate it, and I feel I should too, it feels like it should be cheesy ... but it somehow works)

10-11 AM would be an ideal wake-up time for me, but I stay up too late during the summer to allow that.

I'd prefer to only stay up until 1-2am or so. Unfortunately, I tend to either get sucked in by this place or simply not feel tired and stay until 4am. Bleh.

Records on the back burner:

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Portishead - Third
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha
Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash
The Breeders - Mountain Battles
Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster
Sun Kil Moon - April

I'm really not looking forward to listening through Vampire Weekend's album all the way through. No offense, LMP. :wink:

The Los Campesinos album is off the fucking chain. Portishead's was a good listen, too. Vampire Weekend's pretty alright. :p

The Los Campesinos album is off the fucking chain. Portishead's was a good listen, too. Vampire Weekend's pretty alright. :p

Fuck, I'm getting the Vampire Weekend album out of the way right now.

I've never heard a band that's so obviously the very definition of indie. The songs are fun, but have the depth of a thimble.

Fuck, I'm getting the Vampire Weekend album out of the way right now.

I've never heard a band that's so obviously the very definition of indie. The songs are fun, but have the depth of a thimble.

You're right, but it's a good throwaway album, you know?

A fun listen once or twice... then you're done.

You're right, but it's a good throwaway album, you know?

A fun listen once or twice... then you're done.

Sort of sad then that it was heralded as the most cracking thing since the vinyl record by everyone and their overly-critical grandfather.

Cape Cod is a nice tune.

Sort of sad then that it was heralded as the most cracking thing since the vinyl record by everyone and their overly-critical grandfather.

Cape Cod is a nice tune.

Yeah, but that's inevitable in Indiewankerland, where they need some overhyped sensation to wank over every few months or so.

Well, with my iTunes situation still largely unresolved (I have to re-organize everything I downloaded off the blogs), I'm re-listening tonight.

This is a, uh ... interesting album name.
I got a few song titles that'll beat that:

Vagina Envy - Sewer Trout
Bananas Smell Funny Sonata in G - Boo! Hiss! Pfftlb!
Redneck Woman From Planet Mars - Horny Mormons
The Incredibly Blue Moustache of Mr Tinselteeth - Eyeball
Buzzbomb of Pasadena, Kinky Sex Makes The World Go Round, A Child And His Lawnmower - Dead Kennedys

Cape Cod is a nice tune.

By Pitchfork? The beacon of internet journalistic integrity? Fuck that shit in the face, son.

I got a few song titles that'll beat that:

Vagina Envy - Sewer Trout
Bananas Smell Funny Sonata in G - Boo! Hiss! Pfftlb!
Redneck Woman From Planet Mars - Horny Mormons
The Incredibly Blue Moustache of Mr Tinselteeth - Eyeball
Buzzbomb of Pasadena, Kinky Sex Makes The World Go Round, A Child And His Lawnmower - Dead Kennedys

:laugh:

There's actually a band called Horny Mormons? That's great.

:laugh:

There's actually a band called Horny Mormons? That's great.
Indie punk band in the East Bay in the 80's. Decent song, actually, if you like loud, fuzzy non-sensical punk rock.

Yeah, but that's inevitable in Indiewankerland, where they need some overhyped sensation to wank over every few months or so.

Occasionally, I truly fall for the record being wanked over. Shins, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes...all of them beloved in Indiewankerland, and all of them beloved by me as well.

But this...it's just rather boring. I don't know why, but the songs have no...power. Or something. Everything sounds like it was recorded as flatly as possible on a four track. Plus, the singer has that sloppy-yet-somehow-on-key thing going that all indie vocalists do.

I like Franz Ferdinand. Especially their debut album. It's not at all cohesive ... yet I pretty much enjoy the whole thing.

Indie punk band in the East Bay in the 80's. Decent song, actually, if you like loud, fuzzy non-sensical punk rock.

Why am I not surprised? :wink:

Now I just wonder if, by "loud, fuzzy", you mean it sounds even worse than half the Dunedin Sound's songs or not ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom