dialect survery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanadaRhodes

Paper Gods
Staff member
before you freak, don't worry, I'M not taking a survery. :wink:

harvard took one apparently. you can view it here.

i thought i'd also have us point out just a few of the 122 (!!!!) questions they asked. so many are so :huh: that i don't see the point in asking them. i'll just pick a few a say what i answered...naturally, my results didn't appear there or anything, i wasn't picked.

1. b (as in ant)
4. b (as in carra-mel)
7. b (as in cute)
9. b (as in cray-ahn) :huh: no more bs please :no:
18. a (3 syllables)
21. a (as in PEE-can)
26. b (as in out)
50. d (you guys)
51. b (no!!!!!)
64. a (sub, i used to call them hoagies until i ate at subway too much)
65. a (lightning bug)
68. c (grandma)
69. b (granny - well, i did until she died)
70. b (grandpa - her stepfather; her real dad i call pop-pop)
71. N/A for me :sad: he died before i was born but it would've been b
80. a (sunshower)
96. a (supper is always an evening meal)
105. a (SODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
111. a (heel)
117. d (basements are finished, cellars aren't)
120. b (shotgun)
122. b (especially)

well, those are my picks. you can use these, or any or all of the ones listed at the site. :wave:

how come there was no option for "other" for maternal grandfather? there was one for paternal though...i called both of them "pop-up" before they died. and there wasn't a changed over the years option. i called my grandma "grandma" until my sister started calling her "grammy" and we've all been saying that ever since

hehehe, i'm re-writing the survey here....

i liked the question about the drive-thru liquer store. i've never seen one of those before

that reminded me how wierd i say certain things. i've got all sorts of new england things trying to find their way into my 2-hours-north-of-nyc-with-bits-of-northern-new-jersey-and-maryland-thrown-in-for-good-measure. my mom's from new jersey and my grandma's from maryland so my mom picked up things like "warsh the dishes"...when i was in kindegarten we read this book called "mrs wishy-washy" and i couldn't understand why there was no 'r'r in wash, and why all of a sudden people were saying 'wash' not 'warsh'

in the state of massachusetts you get some funny looks for saying "aunt" like "ant"...funny that i say both of thse same way but had a big discussion with my family over winter break about how Erin and Aaron don't sound the same.

IWasBored said:
i called both of them "pop-up"
yeah, i called my grandmother "spam mail." :laugh:

IWasBored said:
in the state of massachusetts you get some funny looks for saying "aunt" like "ant"...
my husband's from connecticut and says it the dumb "ont" like way. it bugs me. :laugh: no one i know, not anyone in any part of my family, says anything but aunt, like the insect.

no i'm serous about pop-up...wait...you know, it could have been pop-pop...i don't really remember :ohmy: my mother's father died when i was 7, and i never really saw my father's father...

*smacks self in forehead*

:der: well NOW i feel stupid..

KhanadaRhodes said:
my husband's from connecticut and says it the dumb "ont" like way. it bugs me. :laugh: no one i know, not anyone in any part of my family, says anything but aunt, like the insect.

Interesting- I thought pronouncing aunt like "ont" was a southern thing, I didn't realize it was also in New England. When I lived in Tennessee, everyone pronounced it "ont" and thought I was weird for saying it like "ant."

IWasBored said:
:der: well NOW i feel stupid..
awww don't. i've heard people call their grandparents some pretty stupid shit, especially since i've moved here. i hope no one here calls her this (so i don't offend them), but calling your grandmother nana is about one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. then i see stuff like mee-maw, nini, whatever, and i want to kill myself. :banghead:

Giant Lemon said:
Interesting- I thought pronouncing aunt like "ont" was a southern thing, I didn't realize it was also in New England. When I lived in Tennessee, everyone pronounced it "ont" and thought I was weird for saying it like "ant."
i know people here who say "ont" too. there's at least one local newscaster who says it, and i've encountered people my age who say it. i've never heard "ant" solely be used since i lived in florida. :sad:

i just spent way to long on that :der:

and i enjoy the 3 distinct regions....blue being "pop," red being "soda," and green being "coke"...

q_105.gif

woo pop!!

1. a) as in "ah"
4. c) I use both interchangeably
7. b) as in "cute" ("cyoopon")
9. c) (2 syllables, "cray-awn", where the second syllable rhymes with "dawn")
18. c) I write "mischievous" but say "mischievious"
21. d) with stress on the second syllable ("pee-KAHN")
26. d) I say it like "hoot" for the noun and like "out" for the verb.
50. d (you guys)
51. b (no)
64. a (sub)
65. a (lightning bug)
68. b) granny (haven't seen her since I was little, though)
69. b) granny
70. N/A -- he lives in Virginia somewhere, but I've never met him
71. b) grandpa
96. e) I do not use the term supper
105. e) soft drink
111. a (heel)
117. e) A cellar has an outside entrance (some call this a "bulkhead"), whereas a basement does not
120. b (shotgun)
122. b (especially)

Giant Lemon said:

We say it like "ant" in Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom