Devil's Dyke, Sussex superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I don't hear any U2 influence at all, frankly. I couldn't name one U2 song their music sounds like.

Anything from 1980-1983 with regards to the guitars of those bands.

OK, so, Andrew.

A Concealed Weapon: Meh. Unobjectionable, some nice melody, but I imagine I'd like it less on repeated listen. Some of the lyrics seemed dodgy.

The Missionary: Too fake electronicish. Didn't like it.

She Wants Revenge: Just starting now. Not what I expected.

The three songs fit together, though.

Axver said:
OK, so, Andrew.

A Concealed Weapon: Meh. Unobjectionable, some nice melody, but I imagine I'd like it less on repeated listen. Some of the lyrics seemed dodgy.

The Missionary: Too fake electronicish. Didn't like it.

She Wants Revenge: Just starting now. Not what I expected.

The three songs fit together, though.

Less harsh than I expected. :ohmy:

the tourist said:

Anything from 1980-1983 with regards to the guitars of those bands.

I don't agree. The Killers songs in this edition of DI haven't exactly made me think "wow, these guys have been listening to The Electric Co., I Will Follow, and Sunday Bloody Sunday!"

I used to love Linkin Park. I waited so long for Minutes to Midnight, and it's like on half the songs they took their old sound (nu-metal/rap), but dropped the rap and made it angrier and rawer. I liked those songs. On the other half, they sounded like U2, only trying too hard. I hated those songs. Go figure.

Watching their teenie bopping emo fans' heads explode over the changed sound was hilarious though.

the tourist said:

Less harsh than I expected. :ohmy:

:lol: I hated the very start of The Missionary but it was more tolerable as it went on. Rachael is alright, but all these songs would be better without the synth aspect.

Axver said:

:lol: I hated the very start of The Missionary but it was more tolerable as it went on. Rachael is alright, but all these songs would be better without the synth aspect.

:shrug: What can I say? I love synth. :wink:

the tourist said:

Too bad they're worse than Coldplay.

No, I won't have that. Now, this is my review of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory:

Are you under the age of 16? Are you a white, middle class male? Do you live in Western suburbia? Do you want to act rebellious even though you have nothing to rebel against? Are you angsty even though life is comfortable? If you answered 'yes' to all of the above, then buy this album. It's right up your alley!

However, if you have a semblance of taste in music and aren't an unjustifiably angsty teenager, the only song here that is even remotely worth hearing is Pushing Me Away. Or maybe it just sounds good because it's the last track and thus signifies that the ordeal is over.

And yet Pushing Me Away is a fucking work of art compared to much of what Coldplay's done.

Axver said:

I don't agree. The Killers songs in this edition of DI haven't exactly made me think "wow, these guys have been listening to The Electric Co., I Will Follow, and Sunday Bloody Sunday!"

I think their guitar tones, especially, and the usage of a similar delay. Oh, and Read My Mind isn't a good example of what I'm talking about. When You Were Young, from PFan's (and mine), though, is.

Axver said:

No, I won't have that. Now, this is my review of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory:

Are you under the age of 16? Are you a white, middle class male? Do you live in Western suburbia? Do you want to act rebellious even though you have nothing to rebel against? Are you angsty even though life is comfortable? If you answered 'yes' to all of the above, then buy this album. It's right up your alley!

However, if you have a semblance of taste in music and aren't an unjustifiably angsty teenager, the only song here that is even remotely worth hearing is Pushing Me Away. Or maybe it just sounds good because it's the last track and thus signifies that the ordeal is over.

And yet Pushing Me Away is a fucking work of art compared to much of what Coldplay's done.

Have you heard Linkin Park's early bullshit?

the tourist said:

:shrug: What can I say? I love synth. :wink:

See, to me, it's like "OMG WHY WEREN'T WE ACTIVE IN THE EIGHTIES!"

Prosecute Electrocute is the best song so far.

the tourist said:

I think their guitar tones, especially, and the usage of a similar delay. Oh, and Read My Mind isn't a good example of what I'm talking about. When You Were Young, from PFan's (and mine), though, is.

I'll pay attention when the track comes up then and see what I think.

Oh, one more reason why I don't like Brandon Flowers: IALW is his favourite U2 song.

The Killers haven't made an album worth listening to since Hot Fuss, and Flowers' voice is absolute shit these days.

Axver said:

See, to me, it's like "OMG WHY WEREN'T WE ACTIVE IN THE EIGHTIES!"

Prosecute Electrocute is the best song so far.

Probably because they were 10 in the 80s. :laugh:

Oh, and cool. I really like that one, though I almost didn't pick it from that band.

LemonMelon said:
The Killers haven't made an album worth listening to since Hot Fuss, and Flowers' voice is absolute shit these days.

Well, technically that only makes one album. The other one, technically, is remade b-sides with only a couple new songs.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Have you heard the Reanimation remix? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DiE3DV-XtE

I once actually possessed Reanimation. My aunt and uncle bought a huge stash of pirated CDs in Bali for like $5 and gave me all the ones they didn't want/know.

All of them subsequently left my possession too, heh. The track titles on Reanimation were truly hideous!

the tourist said:

Oh, and cool. I really like that one, though I almost didn't pick it from that band.
That reminds me of another Spin thing. They were talking about the start of the magazine and the history of music during that time. They did a bunch of interviews with different artists, including Brandon Flowers. One of the questions they asked was "What were you doing in 1985 when Spin launched?"

Brandon's answer was: "I was in preschool, so probably not much." :lol:

the tourist said:

That's no excuse for being a derivative throwback.

Kissing The Boulevard was mediocre but didn't bug me. This BRMC track is surprising me, wow, this is nothing at all like Howl.

Oh, and Khan, I did get the download link you sent, thank you. :up:

Axver said:

That's no excuse for being a derivative throwback.

Kissing The Boulevard was mediocre but didn't bug me. This BRMC track is surprising me, wow, this is nothing at all like Howl.

Told you--Howl isn't a good representation of their sound. That one (American X) is closer.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i have both albums and have only bothered listening to the hits :reject:

Hot Fuss is inconsistent but is a strong candidate for guilty pleasure of 2004.

Sam's Town has about 3 palatable songs on it. Maybe. But it's still better than pretty much anything Linkin Park has ever done. EVER.

Axver said:
I once actually possessed Reanimation. My aunt and uncle bought a huge stash of pirated CDs in Bali for like $5 and gave me all the ones they didn't want/know.

All of them subsequently left my possession too, heh. The track titles on Reanimation were truly hideous!
:lol: See, I get the point that since the songs were remixed, they decided to remix the titles too... but it was awful. Do we really need "P5hng Mi Aw*y"?

There are a few good mixes on the album though. Like the soft strings version of Crawling.

the tourist said:

Oh, woops. :reject:

:lol:

I unfortunately know Hybrid Theory pretty well. My friend was obsessed with In The End and he'd play it ALL THE TIME at his place when we were working on his model railway. I can still sing the whole song.

Reanimation, as I said, nauseated me simply with its track titles. Meteora sounded like a hideously derivative ripoff of Hybrid Theory, and the only song I've heard from Minutes To Midnight is the one that sounds like WOWY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom